So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's bi-bi school FORBID auditory training. They also forbid using spoken language in the school (in any situation besides pull out speech therapy). So, yes, they were similar to this analogy...
Exactly. And I'm sure there are some in this thread that would not have a problem with it...

Were you there when my brother got called dumb or retarded? Or when people blew him off?

I guess I was wrong all this time.
Sorry to hear about it. Yes, there are some ignorant and uneducated people out there.

Perhaps, let me elaborate a little on the "we can't always be all things to all people".

Such that most hearing people are simply caught up with their lives to help the deaf more. And also that most deaf people are simply caught up with their lives to help the physically challenged.

I have some close hearing friends and relatives. Such that when we occasionally get together on weekends or at social functions or at family gatherings. We get along very well, have some laughs and all that. And they make some adjustments when communicating with me. Such as facing me when conversing with me, using a little more mouth articulation and probably also being a little more expressive than they usually are and all that.

However, I also make realistic and practical observations such that they probably wouldn't have the patience to deal with me on a continuous or daily basis. Cause they would be straying away from just being themselves if they were to do that.

I also have this cousin who's hearing but is also physically challenged. And when we occasionally get together, sure we have some nice times together. We even have the same grandparents whereas I'd do this impression of how "our old grandfather walks..." and it would make him laugh. But would I have the patience to deal with him on a daily basis, probably not. Cause I'd be straying away from myself if I were to do that as I have my own problems, needs and wants...

I am the old generation who is asl user. My friends who sign and I that they don't adjust to meet my needs, like we meet and hop into the room and chat right there without some bumps into our converation. I love it. :)

I personally feel that we're having a constructive discussion. I see that you're intelligent with good language skills, etc.

And I also see that Tousi is making a good contribution to this thread... yeah right? :roll:

He is.

Exactly. And I'm sure there are some in this thread that would not have a problem with it...

If you ask me, it's a bad analogy.. because most school are not physical therapy for people who use wheelchairs Nor they expect them to practice their therapy at school (My aunt was in a car accident so it took a year for her to walk again, she was instituted for a year too with heavy therapy, but she was in it for therapy, not for schooling). I know there are plenty of deaf people who feel that heavy auditory therapy and "excercises" should be done after school. They are just going to teach using the language that deaf people know. But not all Bi-Bi are like this.

Actual conferences or events/get togehters ? Were they AVT focused? Were there a variety of ages or was it just little kids? If it was a little kid event, then no wonder there weren't 'terps. Most little kids who are oral first haven't learned ASL yet. But it is actually quite common for oral first kids to learn ASL as a second language. I know at the national conferences it's very common to see a variety of approaches used. I know for example, that even kids who can easily have a spoken conversation one on one, often find it difficult to have a conversation or learn in group situtions.
And there are many DODA families out there who use listening devices.
I dunno maybe in your area things are different. You really do seem to be expolarating with your experiance with your daughter's bi bi school, and assuming that represents ALL bi bi practice or ALL deaf culture or schools.

faire joure, one thing you don't realize is that it's too early to say what way things are going.
It is GREAT that so far there aren't a lot of kids with SEVERE/largely significent spoken language delays , like there were in the old days. If they have issues they're more hoh style delays (remember even hoh kids can have spoken language delays)
BUT, the level of performance may not be static. It is actually very common for dhh mainstreamed kids to start experiancing trouble around fourth grade and pretty much universal for kids to have social and academic difficulties in the mainstream and orally in adolescene! Many of those kids may discover ASL and Deaf culture, just like those of us who are older hoh!

Actual conferences or events/get togehters ? Were they AVT focused? Were there a variety of ages or was it just little kids? If it was a little kid event, then no wonder there weren't 'terps. Most little kids who are oral first haven't learned ASL yet. But it is actually quite common for oral first kids to learn ASL as a second language. I know at the national conferences it's very common to see a variety of approaches used. I know for example, that even kids who can easily have a spoken conversation one on one, often find it difficult to have a conversation or learn in group situtions.
And there are many DODA families out there who use listening devices.
I dunno maybe in your area things are different. You really do seem to be expolarating with your experiance with your daughter's bi bi school, and assuming that represents ALL bi bi practice or ALL deaf culture or schools.

Actual state and national level conferences, not just activities. They were for all ages, including having teen programs.

How many have you attended?

The point I made about traditional bi-bi schools remains. How do you have ASL be the language of instruction and communication AND allow fluent spoken language immersion? How do you use spoken language in a classroom for a CI user but NOT leave out the unamplified child?

The point I made about traditional bi-bi schools remains. How do you have ASL be the language of instruction and communication AND allow fluent spoken language immersion? How do you use spoken language in a classroom for a CI user but NOT leave out the unamplified child?

It's a very good question. At recent PAC meetings at our bi-bi school, this was a biggest concern of parents of unaided deaf students who don't want their children to become "second class citizens" in a deaf learning environment that's suddenly putting resources towards the specific needs of deaf children with CIs and HAs. Towards FM systems in classrooms rather than percussion floors in the gyms, SLPs vs. individual aides.

How do you provide fluent spoken language immersion to children with CI's and make sure an unamplified child isn't left out?

You cue.

Can you cue voice pitches (as part of expression) without any hearing devices?

I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean deafgal001. Are you meaning as in higher and lower sounds??

I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean deafgal001. Are you meaning as in higher and lower sounds??

yes, Remember we are talking about deaf people who have no access to sounds, and probably never had any access. Reading can be hard for them, and it doesn't matter if they are reading off of people's hands or paper. You have to give them something that make it easier, just like how some of us hear words (auditory) as we read and as we read, we form a picture (like tv...)

faire joure, again maybe that's representing the hardcore AVTer types or the hardcore sucesses. The families who have become more interested in sign may have gravitated towards American Society for Deaf Kids, b/c AG Bell can be rather negative about ASL and Deaf culture. NOT as bad as it was in the old days, yes Remember about 30% of implantees are superstars. That does translate into real numbers Again, many of the teens may end up attending NTID. It's actually seems to be a tradition for AG Bell kids to go off to college there. A BIG part of the thing about ASL and Deaf culture is that it's FUN. It's all well and good to have access to the hearing world. BUT, eternal speech therapy and Hearing Health 101 isn't exactly a lot of fun for kids. Even for kids who can hear at hoh or mild levels.
And those are good questions. The first I can answer. I think Deaf Schools need to do an Early Intervention/Early Childhood program where kids would have a split day. They would have spoken language immersian for the first part of the day. Then they would have ASL immersian. They have something like that at Gov Baxter. They also have that sort of set up in Canada for the bilingal French-English schools. I do understand parents who think that Sign based programs don't concentrate enough on speech. Common complaint. But the thing is, a lot of times poorly funded schools can only attract meager speech therapists. So they don't have a lot of training.
While voice off ASL onliers only make up a small percentage of Deaf people, they do seem more numerous in Deaf programs.
It does seem that most Deaf programs are heading towards being VERY "hoh friendly" ..Which is AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back