So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to say "Sorry, I had a bad day yesterday...". But then looking back at my posts, what were so wrong or bad about the posts I made yesterday? The only thing is the post I made about PFH's English, I'll take that one back. And if I appear to be insensitive in it, I apologize!

Apparently, some of you seem to be operating on a "those that may not share the same Deaf/ASL views as you do..." are automatically the "bad guys"?

Or as usual would be operating on a "it's okay for those that are pro Deaf/ASL" to make constructive comments and yet if the "oral deaf, hearing-impaired and hard of hearing" also make them, they're the "bad guys"...?

Alright, I'll make a conscientious effort to just stick to the threads that are basically "pro-hearing science and technology". To each, his or her own...:roll:

Granted, these figures predated the possibility of CIs and newer hearing aids being included, so they aren't completely relevant to my child's environment, but they do tell us that our children are at risk if educated and communicated with the same way those children were. So I think it makes a lot of sense to shout those terrible numbers and change the system, the combination of teaching/communication methods used for those children who became adults with a crappy 4th grade literacy level.

They been trying to boost that number for over a hundred years, one method after another. Therefore, they been shouting to change the system for a long time now. SEE, oral, hearing aids, cued speech, visual phonetic, CI, etc. If you ask me, I think it is because deaf people are not hearing people so they do not see things the way hearing people do. And blind people (since birth) do not see the way seeing people do. But deaf people are at risk at reading and writing if their parents don't start focusing on that.

They been trying to boost that number for over a hundred years, one method after another. Therefore, they been shouting to change the system for a long time now. SEE, oral, hearing aids, cued speech, visual phonetic, CI, etc. If you ask me, I think it is because deaf people are not hearing people so they do not see things the way hearing people do. And blind people (since birth) do not see the way seeing people do. But deaf people are at risk at reading and writing if their parents don't start focusing on that.

Literacy figures available now predate many of the current methodologies and technologies now in use. I'd like to see the results of the a breakdown including age and combinations of learning methodology & communication methods:
CI (pre-3YO) + ASL -- (all of these at various age ranges, such as at 5, 8, 11, 14, 18)
CI (post 3YO) + ASL
CI (pre 3YO) + AVT
CI (post 3YO) + AVT
CI (pre 3YO) + non-AVT aural/oral
CI (post 3YO) + non-AVT aural/oral
CI (pre 3YO) + SEE2
CI (post 3YO) + SEE2
CI (pre 3YO) + CS
CI (post 3YO) + CS

And then the same breakdown for HA instead of CI, and for unaided instead of CI.

The Oxford Handbook of Deaf Studies ... - Google Books This is the closest I can find, but I think parents and professional seem more optimist (sp?) toward children with CI because they are hearing themselves. Like I wrote, a deaf child in the past generation don't speak, they just strugs and become more pessimist of their future when it doesn't have to be that way. Their attitude make a big difference in a child's life, and I just think CI make it easier on the parents to have a more positive attitude.

Last edited:
Regardless of method being used, I still believe the best cure to illiteracy is parent's involvement.

Somehow, my parent not choosing CI route but sign language route, my parent still managed to read book to me at night when I was a kid. I wonder if that's where I developed my love for books.

For those of you that picked sign language or just tried to provide all resources for children (CI and sign language). Well...thank you.

That reminds me, I should go back and tell my parent thanks for learning sign language for my own sake. Something I don't think I have ever done. Yikes.

Regardless of method being used, I still believe the best cure to illiteracy is parent's involvement.

Somehow, my parent not choosing CI route but sign language route, my parent still managed to read book to me at night when I was a kid. I wonder if that's where I developed my love for books.

For those of you that picked sign language or just tried to provide all resources for children (CI and sign language). Well...thank you.

That reminds me, I should go back and tell my parent thanks for learning sign language for my own sake. Something I don't think I have ever done. Yikes.

Yes, give Mom n' Dad a holler!

The Oxford Handbook of Deaf Studies ... - Google Books This is the closest I can find, but I think parents and professional seem more optimist (sp?) toward children with CI because they are hearing themselves. Like I wrote, a deaf child in the past generation don't speak, they just strugs and become more pessimist of their future when it doesn't have to be that way. The attitude make a big difference in a child's life, and I just think CI make it easier on the parents to have a more positive attitude.

Great link, deafgal! I haven't read through Marsharck's work since we were making our decision about getting a CI 3 years ago! But I disagree on the reason you think for the achievement gap: I don't think deaf children without CIs are less literate than those with CIs because of their parents' pessimism about their futures, or because deaf children without CIs give up. I don't know what the cause is, but I suspect that reading to young children before they can read, and reading with young children as they begin to read is critical. And I can't find a way to do that, to make a 1 to 1 connection between the word signed and the printed word using ASL. The only way I think to do it using signed language is if I shift to SEE2 for reading time.

Wirelessly posted

Pidgin Signed English.

Enough said.

Not enough said. What are you talking about? Pro, con, superiority, lack of knowledge??

Writing "Pidgin Signed English" could mean any number of things.

I think he was replying to you about reading.

And the link I gave you, I believe it is an updated version? Well, I believe it was published this year.

Great link, deafgal! I haven't read through Marsharck's work since we were making our decision about getting a CI 3 years ago! But I disagree on the reason you think for the achievement gap: I don't think deaf children without CIs are less literate than those with CIs because of their parents' pessimism about their futures, or because deaf children without CIs give up. I don't know what the cause is, but I suspect that reading to young children before they can read, and reading with young children as they begin to read is critical. And I can't find a way to do that, to make a 1 to 1 connection between the word signed and the printed word using ASL. The only way I think to do it using signed language is if I shift to SEE2 for reading time.

There is only one visual system that provides access to the sounds of spoken language (for example English), with prosody and rhythm etc., and that is Cued Speech.

Wirelessly posted

GrendelQ said:
Wirelessly posted

Pidgin Signed English.

Enough said.

Recommended? Or a warning against?

Mom used PSE and cut-out pictures from magazines with me while reading until I was able to read on my own. :)

With the Internet, you can print off pictures of all the objects and concepts you've not learned a sign for.

Wirelessly posted

Mom used PSE and cut-out pictures from magazines with me while reading until I was able to read on my own. :)

With the Internet, you can print off pictures of all the objects and concepts you've not learned a sign for.

Funny, my parents and teachers did the same thing with me when I was a child.

Since she have CI, cued speech would be good. That link I provided did mention about CI and cued speech. Read about it and decide for yourself if this is what you want to do. I prefer to keep ASL and English (spoken or written) separate to avoid confusion. Or I can give you links on storytelling in ASL

Wirelessly posted

Why do ASL and English have to be separate? Many of us who are blessed to be raised in a bilingual household, we have the ability to code-switch, meaning we can go into ASL or English without missing a beat. You also see this with people who grew up with one parent speaking French or Spanish, and the other parent speaking English. I don't recall people having to keep THOSE languages separate.

Wirelessly posted

Why do ASL and English have to be separate? Many of us who are blessed to be raised in a bilingual household, we have the ability to code-switch, meaning we can go into ASL or English without missing a beat. You also see this with people who grew up with one parent speaking French or Spanish, and the other parent speaking English. I don't recall people having to keep THOSE languages

separate.

I agree, souggy.

Wirelessly posted

Why do ASL and English have to be separate? Many of us who are blessed to be raised in a bilingual household, we have the ability to code-switch, meaning we can go into ASL or English without missing a beat. You also see this with people who grew up with one parent speaking French or Spanish, and the other parent speaking English. I don't recall people having to keep THOSE languages separate.

That is what I dont understand. Give every deaf child both ASL and English. Even deaf people who grow up going to Deaf schools still learn English. I think it is people's fear that ASL will prevent a child from learning English. That belief has been disproven numerous times by many of you here on AD and even through research.

I was talking about SEE <--- it's more like blending English and ASL to me and I think that would be confusing. She want to put ASL in English order for reading. but if it work for ya, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back