So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cat fight again?

I think parents gravitate towards oral only b/c they see the AG Bell high acheivers, and they think that their kid can do that....you know it promises them the American Dream of a "healthy normal mainstreamed kid who doesn't have to use any "speshal needs stuff.
They think oral only always results in a high educational level, and they are terrified of deaf schools. But the question is, is the myth of deaf Schools being bad, a myth?
I mean we've had a couple of people who did the "mainstream with minimal accomondations" approach, and then put their kid in a dhh program or even res school....and they are AMAZED at how well their kid is actually THRIVING!

As a special needs child who is an adult now, I would be grateful if you would spell it correctly instead of trying to imply retardation.

As a special needs child who is an adult now, I would be grateful if you would spell it correctly instead of trying to imply retardation.

Her posts say the exact same thing over and over. They are full of disrespect and sterotypes.

What is AV? Pretty sure it ain't audio and video connector nor Antelope Valley. :-P

Bear in mind with AVT you're talking about a very small minority. Pure Auditory Verbal Approach is only done by a small minority of families of dhh kids . Yes, a lot of CI kids get Auditory Verbal THERAPY, but they get that as a SUPPLEMENT. The Auditory Verbal organization is so small that it got absorbed into AG Bell.
It's like the percentage of kids who do Kumon or those other "get an edge" tutoring centers, vs. the percentage of kids who are raised in "gotta get into Name Brand Univeristy" at ALL costs or my life is ruined" families. Also, are the AVT kids on par socially and emotionally?
I'm just very skeptical of "peer reviewed studies" in this instance, since the peers are other pro auditory verbalers. They are selling a product, so of COURSE they have to make it sound as good as possible. You really don't understand that the ONLY reason why a bilingal approach "doesn't work" is b/c AVT is operating under a "special needs methods" are a CRUTCH way of thinking!

Botte, no you're misunderstanding. I use that spelling to denote that the auditory verbal methodology sees things like ASL and cued speech as a "crutch" that "disables" dhh kids.
They stigmatize it by making it seem like only "low functioning" (those who cannot function well enough to learn to speak clearly) dhh people "need" or can benifit from ASL or speechreading or other dhh interventions.
And faire joure, you simply cannot analyze how they arrived at their end results. You are not seeing the trees for the forest.

Botte, no you're misunderstanding. I use that spelling to denote that the auditory verbal methodology sees things like ASL and cued speech as a "crutch" that "disables" dhh kids.
They stigmatize it by making it seem like only "low functioning" (those who cannot function well enough to learn to speak clearly) dhh people "need" or can benifit from ASL or speechreading or other dhh interventions.
And faire joure, you simply cannot analyze how they arrived at their end results. You are not seeing the trees for the forest.

Er, that'd be "can't see the forest for the trees" (e.g. seeing the bigger picture).

DD, I think it can be hurtful when you word it that way. They are unique and smart as anyone. But like deaf people, they have their own learning style.

Once in a blue moon, I'll say can't see the trees for the forest to denote someone who is so fixated on the big picture that they miss the details.

I think that is what DD is doing here.

Actually, I wish that ALL kids were successful. I do not do AV with my daughter, and while I support parental choice, I wish that more parents would sign. BUT, how do you deny the success, especially when it is paired opposite things like 85% of CSD students read "below average" and that since 4th grade is "average" for reading levels, that means that 50% of deaf kids read BELOW that. If ASL can't back up it's claims of superiority with research, why WOULDN'T a parent choose AV?

Because ASL is usually used as a last crutch by these hearing parents when their kids fall behind. Arent you forgetting the research used on deaf children from deaf families?

Some thoughts from Beverly Biderman: Wired for Sound-a journey into Hearing pg 133
Deaf culture , like all cultures. represents an adaption to a certain situation- in this case-deafness. and like all cultures, the Deaf culture, has some wonderful attributes-many stemming from its own undeniably beautiful and rich language of signs. The Deaf can justifiably take pride in their culture and language, while acknowledging the history of oppression of deaf people. It would be tragic, however, if this newfound pride became the basis for yet another kind of oppression.
COCHLEAR IMPLANTS are another adaptation to deafness. We who ARE deaf, whether we speak or sign or do both, share a very human ability to and transform our lives according to our circumstances.I and other deaf adults should be able to choose freely the means of adaption we want to make, whether it is to get a Cochlear Implant or to adapt to deafness in other ways.
Conclusion of chapter 6-A lightning rod for the deaf culture. She is deaf for most of life but was speaking and didn't learn ASL to much later in her life. She was Implanted in 1993
The book was published in 1998.Interesting reading as well as Michael Chorost's: Rebuilt

Implant-Advanced Bionics-Harmony Aug/07

deafgal, just to clarify, I am a hardcore disabilty rights advocate. I support a full toolbox approach for ALL disabilites. I am using the term "speshal needs" NOT to make fun of "low functioning" people....but rather to denote the attitude that people who insist that THEIR methodology is THE ONLY right way, and that disabled people don't "need" "speshal equiptment or schools or methodologies. (ie having blind/low vision kids use their residual vision and only using Braille as an absolute last resort, the attitude that wheelchair or other "speshal" equiptment is somewhat responsible for underacheivement with disabled people)
faire joure, something you don't understand There have ALWAYS been small numbers of very high acheiving dhh students. As a matter of fact, I remember somee AVT research from MY generation that "proved" that AVT was supeior. (and they claimed the same stuff that the current research is claiming!)
You're still relatively new to the world of oral deafness. They were claiming that oral abilty would allow a lot of access to the hearing world for dhh kids.
But, you know what? You need to take the research findings with a grain of salt. Even with the fact that there are some high acheiver oral dhh kids, there's also the fact that hoh kids (the most mainstreamed and the most oralized) still have a significent rate of underacheivement!!! Oral deafness is pretty much a big business a la Big Pharama. It's a great way to make dhh kids dependant on HAs or CIs (and there's lots of health care profit there) as well as speech therapists and audis and ENTS. If they make oral deafness sound good, then they make a lot of money. Exactly like the "peer reviewed" medical studies that make various and sundry pills sound like THE PERFECT thing!

But, you know what? You need to take the research findings with a grain of salt. Even with the fact that there are some high acheiver oral dhh kids, there's also the fact that hoh kids (the most mainstreamed and the most oralized) still have a significent rate of underacheivement!!! Oral deafness is pretty much a big business a la Big Pharama. It's a great way to make dhh kids dependant on HAs or CIs (and there's lots of health care profit there) as well as speech therapists and audis and ENTS. If they make oral deafness sound good, then they make a lot of money. Exactly like the "peer reviewed" medical studies that make various and sundry pills sound like THE PERFECT thing!
Yes, but you could also pretty much say the same about the Deaf / ASL route. Whereas some would make it look like it's a better route than really warranted just so there'd be more professions or opportunities within that world (i.e. interpreters, schools for the deaf, teachers for the deaf, etc...). So it could work both ways.

Yes, but you could also pretty much say the same about the Deaf / ASL route. Whereas some would make it look like it's a better route than really warranted just so there'd be more professions or opportunities within that world (i.e. interpreters, schools for the deaf, teachers for the deaf, etc...). So it could work both ways.

That's why I believe in giving every child both instead of one or the other. I think it cant get any more simple than that but unfortunately, people, especially here in America, arent strong supporters of children being exposed to two languages.

Wirelessly posted

Question: Is Deaf Culture a subculture or just regular culture?

I notice some people have different opinions on that. So I'm curious about your opinions, people. :)

Wirelessly posted

Question: Is Deaf Culture a subculture or just regular culture?

I notice some people have different opinions on that. So I'm curious about your opinions, people. :)

I think it is already classed as a subculture because it has different traditions, manners and mores from the main culture.

That's why I believe in giving every child both instead of one or the other. I think it cant get any more simple than that but unfortunately, people, especially here in America, arent strong supporters of children being exposed to two languages.

I blame Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back