So, so, so, so confused about deaf plans for smartphones! :(

Yiffzer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am really needing some help here. Whoever has good knowledge of different pricing for plans across different carriers, please help me set the record here.

I want either a BlackBerry Bold (9000), Javelin (8900), Curve 8330, Curve 8320, or an iPhone.

I've been making tons of phone calls to the following carriers:

AT&T
Verizon
T-Mobile
Sprint

That's where I get confused! I've called each carrier at least two times. I have called T-Mobile 3 times. And everytime I called them, I've been told DIFFERENT ANSWERS! I also read from this forum and asked other deaf friends I know and I see so many different pricing answers!

I talked to one representative from T-Mobile about a deaf all-data plan and they told me $34.99/mo with unlimited data and text with a BlackBerry 8900. Then I called back later to another representative who told me, "It is $54.99". I was like, "What? You must be mistaken." Then I decided to call another representative and then they told me, "It is 39.99." I even asked for the supervisor and the supervisor denied that there was anything for $34.99. I spoke with a friend of mine and asked her what she pays for her BlackBerry Curve 3320 under T-Mobile and she told me $29.99! I don't understand!

A friend of mine has an iPhone and told me he pays only $30/month for it. I called AT&T And they told me two different answers! $50/month and then one told me $60.00/month! I don't understand!

I am very frustrated and I really just want to get a BlackBerry Bold from AT&T or 8900 from T-Mobile but no one is really helping me. I want to pay between $30/month to $35/month but they're all giving me a hassle with how much it really is!

Please help me and set the record straight here. :(

Thanks,
Yiffzer

Last edited:
It's real simple. Don't call. Go online. In fact, go to Sprint Relay Store - Welcome!. You'll get the straight answer there regarding Sprint's "deaf plans."

Calling just puts you in touch with the hearing cell phone plans. The deaf plans are usually "off-radar" and offered only by select portions of the cell phone company.

best and cheap is tmoblie
25 dollar a month

$25 a month? On what kind package? I doubt it charge such like that. It usually $29.99 for unlimited data and unlimited SMS under T-Mobile. Only on crap Sidekick.

There is at&t Wireless called TAP plan which is Also $30 a month. Available on ANY unlocked phone but not Blackberry - sucks!

There is Verzion Wireless, too but I don't know what package it called.

Sprint Relay is most easy and friendly I ever know without get confuse.

See what I mean? Everyone has different answers everytime! Now I get the 4th and 5th answer - $25/mo. and $30/mo. for T-Mobile. How do I even get that?

I actually want a BlackBerry 8900 or Bold.

Please help. :(

Re-read what Dennis said.....and specifically ask for their TAP offering.

For AT&T

Any AT&T phone *not Blackberry or iPhone* TAP (Text Accessibility Plan) - 29.99 a month. - Hearing Aid Compatibility and wireless phones | AT&T wireless services

"First Gen" 2G iPhone TAP - 40 a month

3G iPhone TAP - 50 a month

Both at Text Accessibility Plan for iPhone | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

You have to get phone at any AT&T store or online then call TAP office and apply change your phone rate to TAP rate. Information who to call is in TAP weblink.

AT&T Blackberry is regular rate *no deaf rate* because they offer data only on Blackberry.

Blackberry (not TAP but regular rate) - 35 a month (55 a month with unlimited txt msg)

If you want unlimited text message on Blackberry then add 20 a month extra so total 55 dollar a month for unlimited data and sms txt message on Blackberry.

Last edited:
TechBill,

Thanks for the information.

AT&T
$40 for iPhone 2G and $50 for iPhone 3G.
$35/mo w/o text and $55 w/ text for BlackBerry

Sprint
$30/mo for selected phones

T-Mobile
?????

Verizon
?????

I guess I won't be getting anything from AT&T, I'm afraid. I'm very much wanting the BlackBerry 8900 variant with text messaging and data. Any idea on T-Mobile's and Verizon's?

I have not checked T-Mobile in a long time but last time I heard that the Deaf Plan is only available on Sidekicks not Blackberry.

I cannot find anything online about T-Moblie or Verizon deaf rate but here regular rate from thier website.

T-Mobile Blackberry - unlimited data 39.99 and unlimited txt 14.99 - total 54.98 (same price as AT&T but AT&T have more 3G coverage in USA than T-Mobile)

Verizon Blackberry - unlimited data 49.99 + unlimited txt 12.00 - total 61.99

If you really want a Blackberry then your best bet is to go with Sprint but I don't see them offering a BlackBerry 8900 on their website thou.

Also You wanted to check how good the coverage for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile is in your area before picking a network provider.

I called T-Mobile.

Turns out that the $29.99 plan for Sidekick users expired in November, 2008. They're now sticking with the $54.99 plan for with unlimited data and text. And the $44.99 with only 300 texts.

That is some royally messed up price hike.

AT&T has a data plan for almost any qwerty phones except blackberries. (iphone is not a qwerty phone as it's basically a touch screen phone) They charge $29.99 a month under TAP. I pay that much plus $4.99 insurance for my phone with AT&T. Best of all, it has 3g coverage and it's only $29.99 a month. Sprint charges about the same for 3g coverage, too. Tmobile don't.

Well then, I guess I'm gonna have to hold out until September (when BB Bold gets released to Sprint) or future developments comes up.

Well then, I guess I'm gonna have to hold out until September (when BB Bold gets released to Sprint) or future developments comes up.

Where the heck are you getting this September release info for the Bold on the Sprint network?

I doubt BB Bold will work with Sprint's network, probably a different BB model.

1st quarter 2009's almost over, and there's been no announcement of the Bold yet. So, I'd say that's most likely not going to happen by then.

If you can find something that says September, I'd be grateful, but no news right now means still no real launch date. Sprint did put out the cool Nextel Curve, though, which is really neat.

Hi guys,

I am really needing some help here. Whoever has good knowledge of different pricing for plans across different carriers, please help me set the record here.

I want either a BlackBerry Bold (9000), Javelin (8900), Curve 8330, Curve 8320, or an iPhone.

I've been making tons of phone calls to the following carriers:

AT&T
Verizon
T-Mobile
Sprint

That's where I get confused! I've called each carrier at least two times. I have called T-Mobile 3 times. And everytime I called them, I've been told DIFFERENT ANSWERS! I also read from this forum and asked other deaf friends I know and I see so many different pricing answers!

I talked to one representative from T-Mobile about a deaf all-data plan and they told me $34.99/mo with unlimited data and text with a BlackBerry 8900. Then I called back later to another representative who told me, "It is $54.99". I was like, "What? You must be mistaken." Then I decided to call another representative and then they told me, "It is 39.99." I even asked for the supervisor and the supervisor denied that there was anything for $34.99. I spoke with a friend of mine and asked her what she pays for her BlackBerry Curve 3320 under T-Mobile and she told me $29.99! I don't understand!

A friend of mine has an iPhone and told me he pays only $30/month for it. I called AT&T And they told me two different answers! $50/month and then one told me $60.00/month! I don't understand!

I am very frustrated and I really just want to get a BlackBerry Bold from AT&T or 8900 from T-Mobile but no one is really helping me. I want to pay between $30/month to $35/month but they're all giving me a hassle with how much it really is!

Please help me and set the record straight here. :(

Thanks,
Yiffzer

Simple ! its marketing - and also the deaf plans are not exactly advertised within the company it self. to find those deaf plans, you need to show up at the deaf events or expos. Currently I have spring from the deaf spring plan - its data only for 29.99 a month. if you try to use vioce plan - its 25 cents a freaking min!!

I finally found the package from Verzion without voice.

Text Only Messaging Plans from Verizon Wireless

Cost only $34.99 on unlimited SMS and unlimited data usuage.

That is for phone only. (Notice on bottom price it show if you want email you need pay 5 dollar extra a month)
Select Plan and you will see only limit to small phone on their website when choose which phone.

For PDA (Windows Mobile / Palm etc) or Smartphone or Blackberry are listed for 54.99 a month at Verizon (Look on the right side)

But you did find cheaper Blackberry plan at Verizon than what I found and same rate as AT&T Blackberry so Spirit still cheapest with Deaf Rate for Blackberries.

Back