SO MAD!! PLEASE HELP! REFUSE Interpreter

What??? He is a CI doctor and he will not provide an interpretor!?!?

Oh, the ignorance never fails. I am glad you will file a complaint. WIsh you the best Shoshana.

Whoa! I agree! I am stunned! :shock:

Probably doesnt want to do an explant.

He dosent even know what is about yet.

I am calling again on monday--My frend got me the citation information and everything and ill plan to video or record the call.

I am NOT happy. I think this is very oppressive!

Inconceivable! Smack them hard with a complaint. They should know better, what a shameful situation.

So I called Dr. office today and they lost my appointment. After spending 23 minutes on relay I finally got my appointment back for Oct. 4th. I told them at that time I need an interpreter and she went on and on about how they do not provide them. I told her it was the law and she hung up!

Oh yuck. And relay calls take FOREVER. What the hearies can do in 5 minutes can take us 30 minutes. And we get hung up on in the process. And to add extra steps? Forget it. I'm sorry you had to spend even 23 minutes just to make that October 4th appointment. I hope you won't have to make more calls and that your appointment goes well. Keep us posted !!

Shoshana, You have right to get interpreter. Your doctor office needs to respect what you wish for. well. Good luck.

Let you know 2 years ago, my dad got a ASL interpreter for me when i go to my lawyer's office for getting trustee. It cost me about $120 for about 2 hours. I remember so.

Good luck! I have to take my pen and paper or use my laptop word processor. Ech!
They still call my phone and leave voice messages that my husband has to listen to.
I really hope that you get what you need. Good luck and I am so sorry that you are going through this.

Oh yuck. And relay calls take FOREVER. What the hearies can do in 5 minutes can take us 30 minutes. And we get hung up on in the process. And to add extra steps? Forget it. I'm sorry you had to spend even 23 minutes just to make that October 4th appointment. I hope you won't have to make more calls and that your appointment goes well. Keep us posted !!

I realize that it takes a bit longer with relay, but even people who call directly have to wait for extended periods of time. Especially when dealing with things like doctors, health insurance, DMV etc.

I wish they would figure out a more efficient way if handling "callers" so that we wouldn't have to waste so much time on hold.

Shoshana- Hope you are able to get this all resolved sooner than later! A complaint will likely kick them into gear if they hadn't already.

I realize that it takes a bit longer with relay, but even people who call directly have to wait for extended periods of time. Especially when dealing with things like doctors, health insurance, DMV etc.

I wish they would figure out a more efficient way if handling "callers" so that we wouldn't have to waste so much time on hold.

Shoshana- Hope you are able to get this all resolved sooner than later! A complaint will likely kick them into gear if they hadn't already.

it's better that we wait for extended periods of time at RIGHT place rather than to wait and get told that it's a wrong place... hence it's best to give advice to others on something you have an experience with so that people don't get frustrated any further. Is this not hard to understand or what? I'm sure hearing people feel same too.

Ash helped me out a lot! I am going to download the other relay tonight so I can record the call when I try again on Monday. My appointment is on the 4th and I do not plan to go if there is NO interpreter! Why would I trust this guy to go near my head (for CI removal) if they 1. lost my appointment and 2. cant follow the law?

To say the least--I had an awful day with bad anxiety over this and was on the relay trying to call diffrent places for hours. I am tired.

Good lucky i Hope be you should be on law intrepter must to requires on interpetre reason!

I already interpreter on long time I am very pretty lots cochlear implant!

Maybe someone with a law degree can correct me. But the ADA only requires that effective communications be provided. Not that the MOST effective communications be provided. What I have read to date has been unclear in stating that an Interpreter must be provided if asked.

what I am saying is... this issue is unclear from a legal standpoint.

In fact, alot of deafies don't have good reading/writing skills, therefore they have a right to ask for a terp to have a better and faster communication and avoid misunderstandings. To me, that's the effective and reasonable communication/accommodation for us.

ADA's deaf-related law is not completely satisfactory so it must be revised, IMO.

So I called Dr. office today and they lost my appointment. After spending 23 minutes on relay I finally got my appointment back for Oct. 4th. I told them at that time I need an interpreter and she went on and on about how they do not provide them. I told her it was the law and she hung up!

Who do I call to report this??

I am NOT happy!

To tell you the truth, it sounds like that you would have to hire a lawyer to sue them. I am sure that you'd easily win a great deal of money because once a judge and/or jury see an interpreter in court, they would be in your favor in a second but it takes time to file a lawsuit and it requires a lawyer's fee as well as a court's fee $$. However if you can afford it and have patience, you will end up being happy.

Last edited:
In fact, alot of deafies don't have good reading/writing skills, therefore they have a right to ask for a terp to have a better and faster communication and avoid misunderstandings. To me, that's the effective and reasonable communication/accommodation for us.

ADA's deaf-related law is not completely satisfactory so it must be revised, IMO.

I agree. the ADA leaves so much up for interpretation.

Back