SO MAD!! PLEASE HELP! REFUSE Interpreter

Shoshana

Reaction score
So I called Dr. office today and they lost my appointment. After spending 23 minutes on relay I finally got my appointment back for Oct. 4th. I told them at that time I need an interpreter and she went on and on about how they do not provide them. I told her it was the law and she hung up!

Who do I call to report this??

I am NOT happy!

Maybe someone with a law degree can correct me. But the ADA only requires that effective communications be provided. Not that the MOST effective communications be provided. What I have read to date has been unclear in stating that an Interpreter must be provided if asked.

what I am saying is... this issue is unclear from a legal standpoint.

To report the issue, I think you'd call the Office for Civil Rights.

They are legally obligated to provide you with an interpreter. I'd send them an email, and follow up with a relay call.

Here is one link of interest.

Your Right to a Qualified Sign Language Interpreter

I'll try to find the link to the applicable law itself. I know I have it somewhere...

To report the issue, I think you'd call the Office for Civil Rights.

thanks but it's preferable that you let deafies give advice in this matter... the one with actual experience because I like to give them a solution that they can do something about it rather than give them a solution that goes nowhere.

The Department of Justice promulgated regulations to implement title III of the ADA on July 26, 1991 which contain a provision on auxiliary aids and services. “A public accommodation shall take those steps that may be necessary to ensure that no individual with a disability is excluded, denied services, segregated or otherwise treated differently than other individuals because of the absence of auxiliary aids and services, unless the public accommodation can demonstrate that taking those steps would fundamentally alter the nature of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations being offered or would result in an undue burden, i.e. significant difficulty or expense.” 28 C.F.R. §36.303. The term auxiliary aids is further defined to include “qualified interpreters, note takers, computer-aided transcription services, written materials...” Id. The Department of Justice regulations stated that in determining whether an action is an undue burden various factors should be considered. These include the nature and cost of the action, the overall financial resources of the site, the geographic separateness and the administrative or fiscal relationship of the site or sites in question to a parent corporation, the overall financial resources of the parent corporation, and the type of operation or operations of any parent corporation or entity. 28 C.F.R. §36.104.
The Department of Justice’s analysis of its regulatory provisions when the
regulations were proposed included as an example the situation where a note pad and written materials were insufficient to permit effective communication in a doctor’s office when the matter to be discussed was major surgery
. Commentators objected to this statement as conveying the impression that note pads were sufficient except in the most extreme circumstances. In its discussion of the final regulations, the Department of Justice observed that such a limitation was not intended. “Other situations may also require the use of interpreters to ensure effective communication depending on the facts of the particular case. It is not difficult to imagine a wide range of communications involving areas such as health, legal matters, and finances that would be sufficient lengthy or complex to require an interpreter for effective communication.” 56 Fed. Reg. 35567 (July 26, 1991). In addition, the Department noticed that the use of a computer may be an intermediate step between an interpreter and a notepad. Id..

Title III of the Americans with disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against deaf and hard-of-hearing people in places of public accommodation. Included within the definition of places of public accommodation is any "professional office of a health care provider," regardless of the size of the office or the number of employees. 28 C.F.R. Û36.104. The ADA therefore applies to doctors, dentists, psychiatrists and psychologists, hospitals, nursing homes, and health clinics, and all other providers of mental and physical health care.

Places of public accommodation must be accessible to individuals with disabilities. For deaf and hard-of-hearing people, the means that they must remove barriers to communication. Doctors and health care providers must make sure that they can communicate effectively with their deaf patients and clients by providing "auxiliary aids and services" for these individuals:

(c) Effective communication. A public accommodation shall furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary to ensure effective communication with individuals with disabilities.

28 C.F.R. 36.303.

"Auxiliary aids and services" expressly include qualified interpreters, transcription services, and written materials, as well as the provision of telecommunications devices for the deaf (known as TDDs or text telephones), telephone handset amplifiers, television decoders and telephones compatible with hearing aids.
NWASLA, Inc.

You have rights!

you can report the violation here Department of Justice ADA Enforcement
Through lawsuits and settlement agreements, the Department of Justice has achieved greater access for individuals with disabilities in hundreds of cases. Under general rules governing lawsuits brought by the Federal government, the Department of Justice may not sue a party unless negotiations to settle the dispute have failed.

The Department of Justice may file lawsuits in federal court to enforce the ADA, and courts may order compensatory damages and back pay to remedy discrimination if the Department prevails. Under title III, the Department of Justice may also obtain civil penalties of up to $55,000 for the first violation and $110,000 for any subsequent violation.

The ADA is a law enforced by the Department of Justice (DoJ) Report them... Also, I would try and call back, especially if your VRS has a record feature, mine does, and inform them of the law... I know it is to the point where you really don't want to deal with them again... but just inform them of the law with the statutes that say they have to provide a qualified terp... and if they still tell you know... you have the call recorded... so that is more fuel for your case.

thanks but it's preferable that you let deafies give advice in this matter... the one with actual experience because I like to give them a solution that they can do something about it rather than give them a solution that goes nowhere.

Jiro- get off me dude. It's really irritating.

That's why I said, "I think"... And I wasn't that far off base there buddy. The OCR would have referred her to the DOJ. The DOJ is the one who has actual jurisdiction, even though the OCR does deal with civil rights issues.

Jiro- get off me dude. It's really irritating.

That's why I said, "I think"... And I wasn't that far off base there buddy. The OCR would have referred her to the DOJ. The DOJ is the one who has actual jurisdiction, even though the OCR does deal with civil rights issues.

see? wrong advice. waste of time. again - it's best if you give advice on something you actually have an experience with.

I can't imagine how irritating it can be for Shoshana when she finds out that she wasted all day just to get referred to DOJ from OCR. You should realize that it does take a long while to get everything done via relay call. It's not the same as regular phone call.

I'm really sorry they hung up on you. That was extremely rude. I don't know ASL yet as I am late deaf, but I use a phone that is captions. It is not as easy for us to go round and round trying to get a hold of the right people.

I see we have another case of "hearies feel that the deaf needs help" here.

Give me a break. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sorry some of you think that all the "evil hearies" look down on the "poor little deafies" but I have news for you.

I'm not an "evil hearie" and I don't feel bad for the "poor little deafies".

She was asking for input and I gave it. Perhaps my suggestion added one step, but so what? I'm glad Ash345 was able to clarify exactly who she should connect with.

It's not like I'm telling her to go to the police station... my suggestion was not
that far off base.

If I have something I want to add or contribute, that's my right. Stop making things about a persons hearing status all the time. That comment is directed at no one in particular.

So what if a person is hearing? So what if a person is late-deafened? So what if the person has a CI? So what if the person uses ASL as their primary mode of communication!

So what!!

We all have something to contribute.

Give me a break. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sorry some of you think that all the "evil hearies" look down on the "poor little deafies" but I have news for you.

I'm not an "evil hearie" and I don't feel bad for the "poor little deafies".

She was asking for input and I gave it. Perhaps my suggestion added one step, but so what? I'm glad Ash345 was able to clarify exactly who she should connect with.

It's not like I'm telling her to go to the police station... my suggestion was not
that far off base.

If I have something I want to add or contribute, that's my right. Stop making things about a persons hearing status all the time. That comment is directed at no one in particular.

So what if a person is hearing? So what if a person is late-deafened? So what if the person has a CI? So what if the person uses ASL as their primary mode of communication!

So what!!

We all have something to contribute.

It is the experience that counts. As several people here have testified; using the phone takes too long, and with some of the agencies having a 30 minute wait - it all adds up. better to get the right information out, with a deaf experience it truly counts.

It is the experience that counts. As several people here have testified; using the phone takes too long, and with some of the agencies having a 30 minute wait - it all adds up. better to get the right information out, with a deaf experience it truly counts.

I understand that.

That is why I prefaced my comment with, "I think" and I later followed it up with a comment that I was happy Ash was able to provide her with the most appropriate link.

We all get the wrong information time to time!....Boy!...if you were in my shoes the other day, and being as old as I am...being told..."you have to go to the Clerk of Court"...go there....'No, go to the State Attorney's Office"...(which was 3 blocks down)....being told there "No...you have to go to the Duval County Jail"...which was 6 blocks down....and then being told.."You have to go back to the Court House to the Domestic Violence" office"....by that time, every office was closed!....

Was I pissed?....ROYALLY !!...But if I can sit on my arse and use the VP or TTY...to get information, its a lot easier than having to run all around downtown....And still get the "you've got the wrong number...the right number to call........"....:roll:

Ash helped me out a lot! I am going to download the other relay tonight so I can record the call when I try again on Monday. My appointment is on the 4th and I do not plan to go if there is NO interpreter! Why would I trust this guy to go near my head (for CI removal) if they 1. lost my appointment and 2. cant follow the law?

To say the least--I had an awful day with bad anxiety over this and was on the relay trying to call diffrent places for hours. I am tired.

Ash helped me out a lot! I am going to download the other relay tonight so I can record the call when I try again on Monday. My appointment is on the 4th and I do not plan to go if there is NO interpreter! Why would I trust this guy to go near my head (for CI removal) if they 1. lost my appointment and 2. cant follow the law?

To say the least--I had an awful day with bad anxiety over this and was on the relay trying to call diffrent places for hours. I am tired.

What??? He is a CI doctor and he will not provide an interpretor!?!?

Oh, the ignorance never fails. I am glad you will file a complaint. WIsh you the best Shoshana.

Back