So let's say all deaf people had cochlear implants for a change...

neecy said:
It might be different, but it would still BE HERE.
Of course it would still be here but will be different anyway.

sr171soars said:
Alot of good answers already posted...

Soooo, my short answer is that AD will still exist.

There are variations even for those who have CIs. Some still need to sign, some still need to lipread and others don't need either. But all are deaf regardless...
:werd:

First, there's two types of people... hearing and deaf.

Now, there's 5 types of people... hearing, Deaf (big 'D'), deaf (small 'd'), hard-of-hearing, and hearing impaired.

If everyone had cochlear implants, we would probably have 5 different kinds of cochlear implanted people. ;)

VamPyroX said:
:werd:

First, there's two types of people... hearing and deaf.

Now, there's 5 types of people... hearing, Deaf (big 'D'), deaf (small 'd'), hard-of-hearing, and hearing impaired.

If everyone had cochlear implants, we would probably have 5 different kinds of cochlear implanted people. ;)

Sorry I didn't make myself clearer, my brain had a short on this one. I was thinking in context that all would wear a CI. I totally forgot about those who can hear and would visit the site. Oh well, nobody immune to bloopers... :Oops:

VamPyroX said:

Actually there are already different groups of CI users from what I have observed on CI lists. You have late deafened, orally educated prelinguals and culturally deaf who were raised with a greater emphasis on sign. I definitely feel more at home talking to other prelinguals like myself or early deafened compared to late deafened. Our circumstances are different to some degree. The culturally deaf CI users seem to be different again - they retain interpreters, signing where appropriate but have a CI to round off their needs.

I think it's great!

Back