So let's say all deaf people had cochlear implants for a change...

me_punctured said:
Disagreed! If we follow the logical thinking of some Deaf people who argue that cochlear implants isolate the deaf children of tomorrow from the Deaf world, then we all would be one big happy family where no one is a stranger. Right? And within the big happy family, which can get incestuous, all drama-like hell breaks loose!
My brain just exploded. :shock: And I thought double-negatives would only have sufficed! :) Maybe I'm a lil' bit obtuse, but I really didn't get the logic.

We have hearing members who are here because they are interpreters, parents of deaf kids, kids of deaf parents, friends of deaf friends, etc... or are just hearing themselves.

Why should people with cochlear implants be any different?

Alex said:
would AllDeaf.com still exist? :Ohno:

Discuss!

You made a beautiful thread..... :applause:

Good Point!! since all those rackets going on with CI/deaf issues...

:) Alex, of course YES!! hehe..

Of course it would still exist. Even those of us who have CI's or CI-implanted children realize that when the CI comes off, we're still deaf. There's still the desire to connect to like-minded individuals (which is one reason I'm here.) So many people think that CI's are a death rattle for deaf culture/deaf society. If that were true - why am I posting on a deaf webboard? I think there is room in the deaf community for people from ALL walks - be they deaf, hoh, hearing, CI-implanted, HA-wearing etc. Variety is the spice of life!

neecy said:
Of course it would still exist. Even those of us who have CI's or CI-implanted children realize that when the CI comes off, we're still deaf. There's still the desire to connect to like-minded individuals (which is one reason I'm here.) So many people think that CI's are a death rattle for deaf culture/deaf society. If that were true - why am I posting on a deaf webboard? I think there is room in the deaf community for people from ALL walks - be they deaf, hoh, hearing, CI-implanted, HA-wearing etc. Variety is the spice of life!

Yeah it would be boring if we were all clones of each other. Every ethnic or social group have some varieties within it, different interests, different practices, different languages, different focus, different beliefs but gathering together in the area in which they have something in common.

ayala920 said:
Yes, of course, but there are many others who don't.

Imagine how much less drama there would be...
Conflict is human nature. We'd find something else to argue about--perhaps hearies vs. the implantees???? :D

neecy said:
I would say we're in that room right now! :thumb:

neecy said:

:gpost:

If you talk to me about CIs 2 months ago, I'd probably be screaming NO, NO, NO -- BUT once I realized that deaf CI implantees would still be deaf without the CIs, it hit me like a ton of bricks that the deaf community would NEVER disappear. So there! So be it! Amen!

And I am so happy to meet like-minded people on here despite a few bad seeds -- I am learning everyday from them. :dance2:

VamPyroX said:
We have hearing members who are here because they are interpreters, parents of deaf kids, kids of deaf parents, friends of deaf friends, etc... or are just hearing themselves.

Why should people with cochlear implants be any different?
Yup, I'm here because I have lots of deaf friends.

greema said:
:gpost:

If you talk to me about CIs 2 months ago, I'd probably be screaming NO, NO, NO -- BUT once I realized that deaf CI implantees would still be deaf without the CIs, it hit me like a ton of bricks that the deaf community would NEVER disappear. So there! So be it! Amen!

And I am so happy to meet like-minded people on here despite a few bad seeds -- I am learning everyday from them. :dance2:

I think it is SO awesome that you 'took the chance' to learn something new and found it to be a wonderful experience!! I wish more would do as you did! :thumb:

I don't have CI, I don't sign. After many many years of functioning quite well in hearing world I still have yearning for deaf culture.
I have my own reason to go no further than participating at AD, but the point is- as long as it's needed (to be deaf) it won't disappear.

Fuzzy

Alot of good answers already posted...

Soooo, my short answer is that AD will still exist.

There are variations even for those who have CIs. Some still need to sign, some still need to lipread and others don't need either. But all are deaf regardless...

Audiofuzzy said:
I don't have CI, I don't sign. After many many years of functioning quite well in hearing world I still have yearning for deaf culture.
I have my own reason to go no further than participating at AD, but the point is- as long as it's needed (to be deaf) it won't disappear.

Fuzzy

Yeah.

I am profoundly deaf, don't wear HAs or CIs. My ASL skills sucks, I sign PSE. Even with PSE....argh! I am better at English than with sign language. Many people have mistaken me for a hearing person. But I am still deaf. Will always be. Even if I were to get a CI in the future, I would still be deaf. Therefore, I would still come here.

Honestly I don't know because it would be quite boring if we ALL had CIs, then we wouldn't have learned anything new or listening to several different opinions regarding these implants, and how some feel about them as well too and etc....:dunno:

If every deaf person had a CI then AD would be different.
Everyone would be talking about what it is like to hear this and that.

ButterflyGirl said:

LOL yeah exactly... :cheers:

ButterflyGirl said:

It might be different, but it would still BE HERE.

neecy said:
I think it is SO awesome that you 'took the chance' to learn something new and found it to be a wonderful experience!! I wish more would do as you did! :thumb:

Thanks, Neecy! I sure wish the anti-CIers would just open up their minds -- they should not bash the hearing parents for implanting their deaf children. After all, it is after the fact and the surgery has already been done. What can they do? Take their children back and have the implants taken out? I saw a great post and I think it is in another thread. I'll find it and quote it. Just want to thank you all who have been sharing your experiences -- I'm trying to learn everything and to understand how everything work.
:cheers:

Found it -- it is in the "use of device in children or not" posted by ThreeLittleBear. :thumb:

Back