Smoking and Lip Reading

Pepsi

Premium Member
Reaction score
In the past few days I have been giving up smoking,and things are going good.I have been reading about having less stress.Now sometimes I will get a smart remark about my lip reading.For some strange reason some people think lip reading is "rude" way to go.So I got to thinking about having less stress in my life right now. So I was thinking two things A. should I buy a pair of dark sunglasses so people won`t know that I am reading lips? or B. Just shut up about it and stop whining?

As for your information... My opinion, maybe if a person who you was reading his/her lip told you to stop reading her lip, then don't. But if he/she haven't say anything about you reading lips, then you can continue reading ;)

The person who told them to stop lip reading is not right. How can you understand the communication if you don't have any other options? What is all this?

In the past few days I have been giving up smoking,and things are going good.I have been reading about having less stress.Now sometimes I will get a smart remark about my lip reading.For some strange reason some people think lip reading is "rude" way to go.So I got to thinking about having less stress in my life right now. So I was thinking two things A. should I buy a pair of dark sunglasses so people won`t know that I am reading lips? or B. Just shut up about it and stop whining?

Are you serious?????!!!

I quit smoking 20 days ago after 4 years of smoking.... no one has ever complained that I am reading lips.

This is too loco!

i read lips and i used to smoke as well alot of times people dont even realize im lip reading. If it bothers them most of the time they tell me. but no sunglasses are required eyes are to beautiful to cover up!!!

As for your information... My opinion, maybe if a person who you was reading his/her lip told you to stop reading her lip, then don't. But if he/she haven't say anything about you reading lips, then you can continue reading ;)

I think I will make a new rule for myself.If I can`t read your lips, then don`t talk to me.:dunno:

I think I will make a new rule for myself.If I can`t read your lips, then don`t talk to me.:dunno:

That's up to you... While I don't think reading the lips was rude at all.. I was wondering when if a person told you to not read his/her lip, why not you ask him/her why? Maybe he/she can explain? :dunno:

That's up to you... While I don't think reading the lips was rude at all.. I was wondering when if a person told you to not read his/her lip, why not you ask him/her why? Maybe he/she can explain? :dunno:

Or too awakward to be lip read? *shrugs*

that might work for a bit if they want to talk to you they should already be aware that you read lips. its rude for them or anyone to have a problem with that i think anyway?????

That is very strange. Why would some people tell you not to lipread their lips? Are they uncomfortable having you read their lips so that you can understand what they say. I think they are the ones who are very rude to you. You are deaf and you need to lipread as long you are comfortable to be able to lipread their lips for communication. Just tell them that you need to read their lips because you are deaf which mean you can not understand with spoken words or sentences not even with hearing aids. Gawd!!! they are :crazy: Congradulation that you quit smoking and it is a nasty habit. Good riddance with that ciqarettes. :h5:

I don`t want stress right now because I stop smoking. And I deal with hearing ass holes who keep pushing me. So for awhile I need to avoid problems.Every little thing gets to me.So when somebody that is in my face bitching about how rude I am it does do stress.

People had told me that it shows good maners if there is eye to eye contact.Also I need to say something where I live there are no deaf or hard of hearing people around. I live in a small town and I am the only one who is hoh. I am around the hearing 24/7.

That is very strange. Why would some people tell you not to lipread their lips? Are they uncomfortable having you read their lips so that you can understand what they say. I think they are the ones who are very rude to you. You are deaf and you need to lipread as long you are comfortable to be able to lipread their lips for communication. Just tell them that you need to read their lips because you are deaf which mean you can not understand with spoken words or sentences not even with hearing aids. Gawd!!! they are :crazy: Congradulation that you quit smoking and it is a nasty habit. Good riddance with that ciqarettes. :h5:

Thank You.

People had told me that it shows good maners if there is eye to eye contact.Also I need to say something where I live there are no deaf or hard of hearing people around. I live in a small town and I am the only one who is hoh. I am around the hearing 24/7.

I see... I guess my last suggestion is to explain them that you are deaf, and it was better for you to read the lips to understand the communication. Maybe that help?

Pepsiwoman, I hope today is better for you. Seems to me that you had two issues putting stress on you.

One is the ongoing stress of speech reading, made worse by audists who selfishly want to force hearing eye-contact "rules" on someone who is deaf and needs to focus on the rest of the face.

All speech readers have to put up with a few inconsiderate idiots who don't understand our communications needs and make things hard for us. I agree with you. If they don't want to help you speech read and don't want focus on their lips, then they aren't worth your time. They certainly aren't your friends. If they are co-workers you need to converse with for the job, tell your boss immediately.

The second stress is double withdrawal from the physical need for nicotine and the psychological habit of smoking. They tend to make lots of people anxious and angry. Maybe when you think you are just looking at people to read lips, they think you are glaring at them and mad at something about them.

I hope this second stress gets easier soon, because the stresses of speech reading is more than enough pressure.

Anyway, I hope things are better today.

You kidding? Wow :eek3:, I haven't heard anyone complain about me yet so that's interesting.

btw, Congratulations on quitting smoking Pepsiwoman!!, some people say it is as hard a habit to kick, I know because I'm a smoker myself. it's a pain in the a@@!! :giggle:

Honey, I'd have bent over and told them to kiss it!

I lip read very well... and if a person has a problem with it then I let them know that's mainly our only way of communicating if they want me to understand them... If they have a problem, then they are not worth the time to talk to...

Ignorant idiots! LOL...

Honey, I'd have bent over and told them to kiss it!

I lip read very well... and if a person has a problem with it then I let them know that's mainly our only way of communicating if they want me to understand them... If they have a problem, then they are not worth the time to talk to...

Ignorant idiots! LOL...

I agree! I grew up in the small town I still live in and everyone knows that it is the way I have to communicate, if they don't like it they can go away, I can't change my hearing loss for them just cause they are vain and have a problem witih you looking at their lips. If they say it again tell them to not talk to you anymore because that is the only way you can correctly communicate. who knows maybe they are trying to quit smoking too.

My god thats a wierd one. I dont understand why they would have a problem with you lip reading especially if they know you are deaf and its a part of your communication 'tools'. As others have said, if that is the way they behave around you, then they are certaintly not worth your time!

Yeah, this is a weird one; maybe it isn't the lip-reading they object to but rather the intense attention given to them, kinda like "in your face", invading space, etc" that is the real issue?

Back