Smoking and Lip Reading

Pepsiwoman, I hope today is better for you. Seems to me that you had two issues putting stress on you.

One is the ongoing stress of speech reading, made worse by audists who selfishly want to force hearing eye-contact "rules" on someone who is deaf and needs to focus on the rest of the face.

All speech readers have to put up with a few inconsiderate idiots who don't understand our communications needs and make things hard for us. I agree with you. If they don't want to help you speech read and don't want focus on their lips, then they aren't worth your time. They certainly aren't your friends. If they are co-workers you need to converse with for the job, tell your boss immediately.

The second stress is double withdrawal from the physical need for nicotine and the psychological habit of smoking. They tend to make lots of people anxious and angry. Maybe when you think you are just looking at people to read lips, they think you are glaring at them and mad at something about them.

I hope this second stress gets easier soon, because the stresses of speech reading is more than enough pressure.

Anyway, I hope things are better today.

Thank You Chase I feel better today. You are right about everything you said here.

Wow! People telling u not to lipread...if that's the case, then tell them to learn ASL so u wont have to read their lips. They cant have it all their way.

Let me know how it goes!

Congrats on quitting smoking..smile.

You kidding? Wow :eek3:, I haven't heard anyone complain about me yet so that's interesting.

btw, Congratulations on quitting smoking Pepsiwoman!!, some people say it is as hard a habit to kick, I know because I'm a smoker myself. it's a pain in the a@@!! :giggle:

I know smoking is a real pain. I am hanging in there. I know why you never had it happen too you. (complain about you lip reading) is because I think all the hearing ass hole live in West Virginia.(just kidding). I just think it might be that there are not alot of people like us here(deaf and hard of hearing) and some people do not no how to act or just do not understand.:dunno:

Honey, I'd have bent over and told them to kiss it!

I lip read very well... and if a person has a problem with it then I let them know that's mainly our only way of communicating if they want me to understand them... If they have a problem, then they are not worth the time to talk to...

Ignorant idiots! LOL...

There have been times I felt like it.lol

My god thats a wierd one. I dont understand why they would have a problem with you lip reading especially if they know you are deaf and its a part of your communication 'tools'. As others have said, if that is the way they behave around you, then they are certaintly not worth your time!

Dixie, some people just don`t care.

Wow! People telling u not to lipread...if that's the case, then tell them to learn ASL so u wont have to read their lips. They cant have it all their way.

Let me know how it goes!

Congrats on quitting smoking..smile.

Thank you shel, you know how it goes. It has to be their way.:roll:

Yeah, this is a weird one; maybe it isn't the lip-reading they object to but rather the intense attention given to them, kinda like "in your face", invading space, etc" that is the real issue?

I hope not. now you got me thinking... Well I am very polite, I never stare or get close to people, maybe I doing something wrong.:dunno:

Back