instead of the index finger of the right hand coming down
from the forehead bring the "R" handshape down from the
forhead as in the same manner of signing a certain color
then when the R touches the upward pointing index finger
of the left hand, change the right hand to the sign for
fish and have it swim past the left hand index finger

what does this sleight of hand mean?

Means= Saved money

Index and thumb makes open/shut beak at mouth. Both hands cup together, then come up like sides of bowl.

Index and middle fingers on each hand form pointing up triangle, and then come down like the triangle spreading.

Oooooo. That's good signing, Botti! Nest egg?

Here’s an ASL idiom my sister uses. It’s “You’re too slow to catch it, so I’m not going to repeat” or more simply “Too late!”

It means you should have paid better attention to what I signed, and I’m not going to sign it again for your benefit.
The idiomatic phrase is two words and can start with any form of transportation, but my sis is a San Francisco Bay dockside gal so this is the sign she uses:

1. The number three hand (thumb, forefinger, middle finger extended) placed on the rocking, forward moving opposite hand.

2. The open hands in front of you, one palm towards you, the other palm out, moving left and closing. Then the hands open showing empty.

Especially in inland areas, I’ve seen the first sign made like this: The index and middle finger extended and joined rubbing along the extended and joined index and middle finger of the other hand.

Here’s an ASL idiom my sister uses. It’s “You’re too slow to catch it, so I’m not going to repeat” or more simply “Too late!”

It means you should have paid better attention to what I signed, and I’m not going to sign it again for your benefit.
The idiomatic phrase is two words and can start with any form of transportation, but my sis is a San Francisco Bay dockside gal so this is the sign she uses:

1. The number three hand (thumb, forefinger, middle finger extended) placed on the rocking, forward moving opposite hand.

2. The open hands in front of you, one palm towards you, the other palm out, moving left and closing. Then the hands open showing empty.

Especially in inland areas, I’ve seen the first sign made like this: The index and middle finger extended and joined rubbing along the extended and joined index and middle finger of the other hand.

Ship sailed

Meaning=Everyone has comparable challenges.

A hand goes across body as it turns into L hand

Like Y hand points straight out first on one side then moves alike to other side

Both hands palm up together, slightly cupped. Move forward like rolling over something.

I signed this over and over but is it...

We are all in the same boat?

Me, too. I couldn't get the last part, because I sign "boat" another way, but by jove, I think you've got it, Holmes!

Yes to the first answerer, it is "We are all in the same boat." ( Chase, I got the period in the right place on my quote!)

meaning = to have a giving and pure inner self

sign possess on your left side just on your chest
then palm facing inward (in ILOVEYOU shape)from same position on
chest bring the sign down and slightly outward wiggleing the left
index finger (as in the sign for a certain precious metal)

To talk of an issue already ended.

Index finger left hand extends. Closed right hand goes back and forth over left index.

Left hand palm up. Right hand palm down. Reverse them.

Thumb of right hand on head beside right eye. Index and middle fingers wave.

Good one, Bottesini! Beat[ing] [a] dead horse?

This is another deaf idiom from when my sister and I were kids. I know it isn’t one we made up, because I’ve seen other deafies do it; however, it may be regional, as I haven’t seen it in Oregon.

The single word ASL sign means, “I’m done,” “No more to be discussed,” “It’s all over.”

You sign: <show backs of both hands in front of you, shoulder high, and fingers spread. Then flip your hands palms forward and empty> When you turn your hands forward, you mouth the word “FISH!” and give a look of disdain.

Back