Sleight of Hand

Well, I do sign "chance" a little differently: Both relaxed five hands facing the chest, then flipping them down and a little out, as in "breaking through."

But learning different sleights of hand is the reason I appreciate this game.

You kind of gave it to me. Is is "Ghost of a chance"? I'm an admirer of ghosts ever since Jennifer Love Hewitt started whispering to 'em.

You Got it!

This two-word idiom means "to work hard" at something or "to make an effort."

1. Tap the index finger of the right hand on your “funny bone.”

2. Holding the left hand like a hatchet, the right thumb and forefinger grasp the center of left hand from underneath, then pull down like rendered animal fat.

This two-word idiom means "to work hard" at something or "to make an effort."

1. Tap the index finger of the right hand on your “funny bone.”

2. Holding the left hand like a hatchet, the right thumb and forefinger grasp the center of left hand from underneath, then pull down like rendered animal fat.

I know this one, but I'm going to wait. However here are a few little hints about how to play this game. Say at first you can't think of the idiom. Then look at where Chase describes the first sign. See how he put quotation marks around the two words funny bone? The reason we do that is because if we don't we have to write one of the words in the idiom and that would make it too easy. So think to yourself, "self, what is the other name for that bone?" Hmmm I believe it begins with the letter E. And look at the phrase, "rendered animal fat"! Hmmmm now why did he say that long phrase when he could have said something that begins with the letter G? Are we there yet?:giggle:

I know this one, but I'm going to wait. However here are a few little hints about how to play this game. Say at first you can't think of the idiom. Then look at where Chase describes the first sign. See how he put quotation marks around the two words funny bone? The reason we do that is because if we don't we have to write one of the words in the idiom and that would make it too easy. So think to yourself, "self, what is the other name for that bone?" Hmmm I believe it begins with the letter E. And look at the phrase, "rendered animal fat"! Hmmmm now why did he say that long phrase when he could have said something that begins with the letter G? Are we there yet?:giggle:

OK if no one will bite, this one should be, "Elbow Grease" Right Chase?

You're correct.

Maybe I should sign the idiom meaning "no use to go on."

1. Hold the O-hands palm down at chin level, and open them for "lost."

2. Palm-up A-hands at chest-level, left slightly ahead, then drop and open both hands for "cause."

Is this a "lost cause" maybe? Seems to me folks aren't too interested. Maybe we're not playing the game right for others. What do you think?

You're correct.

Maybe I should sign the idiom meaning "no use to go on."

1. Hold the O-hands palm down at chin level, and open them for "lost."

2. Palm-up A-hands at chest-level, left slightly ahead, then drop and open both hands for "cause."

Is this a "lost cause" maybe? Seems to me folks aren't too interested. Maybe we're not playing the game right for others. What do you think?

Well it seems to me there are a lot of shy lurkers out there who find the game interesting but don't know how to jump in. If thats the case, I would challenge them to go to this deaf web site. It has a bunch of ASL IDIOMS and you guys that don't feel comfortable playing with English can challenge us Hearies and Late Aquired Deafies to the same game. SEE HOW WELL WE DO IN YOUR LANGUAGE!:fingersx: (see me jumping up and down singing, "I'm ready! I'm ready" OK! The gauntlet has been thrown down! (That is an English Idiom that means a challenge has been issued! Woohooo! Bring it on!

YouTube - American Sign Language - Idiom of the Week #1 (ASL)

Well, I'm back and time for some more idiom practice:naughty:

Now, I know Chase and Reba and Banjo will play and a few others
and thats all we need. (but we know you lurkers are out there just
waiting to jump in) Cmon! No pain no gain!

This idiom means to encourage the building of any intense
emotion inside of someone.

Sign infant with your left arm, (as if cradling an infant)
Then sign fire in front of that infants face, repeatedly.

Ok Whats the English Idiom?

I'm coming up against a stone wall with the "baby" part of this one, so I'll make a wild guess:

Burning passion?

Spark a flame?

Inflame a passion?

You're right Chase, this is a hard one. I can't get past the visual of flames in the poor baby's face!

Okay how about this one.
Meaning: unable to stay on key with ones singing
sign: song with right hand then grab right hand
with left and move across front of body

OK you are gonna kick yourselves!

The English Idiom is:

"Burn Baby, Burn!"
As a Boomer of the 60's and 70's, "burn baby, burn" has a different meaning to me. It meant encouraging rioting, looting, and burning cars and buildings in racially divided urban areas. I guess that's "the building of any intense
emotion inside of someone."

Oh, well. :giggle:

oh yes, "idioms" it is hard for me, too. I have been learning in english "idiom" at my campus university.
"to walk on eggshells"
"to be a lemon"
"brings home the bacon"
"to put your foot in your mouth"
"to run around like a chicken with its head cut off"..
it is really funny. I had fun with "idioms" learn. well, i know that not many deafs used "idioms"

As a Boomer of the 60's and 70's, "burn baby, burn" has a different meaning to me. It meant encouraging rioting, looting, and burning cars and buildings in racially divided urban areas. I guess that's "the building of any intense
emotion inside of someone."

I even thought of "Burn, baby, burn!" as the call for destruction in the Haight-Ashbury District of San Francisco went, but likewise I couldn't associated it with "building of any intense emotion inside of someone." I guess you had to be there to know it was a rationalization for mindless anarchy.

Okay how about this one.
Meaning: unable to stay on key with ones singing
sign: song with right hand then grab right hand
with left and move across front of body

Can't carry a tune?

Oh and Hey Sunshine Lady! Feel free to join in the game any time. To look up idioms google "English Idioms" and you will find lists of them. Try to make it
humorous so we can remember it. This game helps us hearies to remember the
signs and helps deafies to remember the english idioms. Welcome to our game.:wave:

Here's a popular idiom often meaning "Have it your own way. I don't care."

It's an eight-letter word in English, made from two words. The deaf sign doesn't include the sign for either word. The relatively new sign isn't yet in ASL-Pro's dictionary or ASL Dictionary, but it is listed in ASL Browser.

It's often signed with an eye-roll. Both hand in front of your torso, palms up, fingertips touching. Alternately raise and lower the hands several times, brushing fingertips.

What does it say?

Last edited:
Yup, the idiom is "Whatever." the next sleight-of-hand is yours.

Back