Skyscrapers in other countries #2

There is interesting stuff on skyscrapers here. The Burj Dubai skyscraper is already impressive even if it's not finished. It's already taller than the CN Tower and the final height is a secret, but should exceed 800 meters. I know someone in Dubai, so maybe someday, I'll go and see it. There are other projects planned in other places for buildings that would exceed a kilometer in height. :-o

^^ Fyi, we have discussed about that in the #1 thread. Yeah, it already is a world's tallest self supporting structure now. I don't always read those stuff from wikipedia because it can be un-accurate. I pick up mostly from people who live there or from news worldwide on the other forum called skyscrapercity. :)

Hey guys! I'm back from my trip to Oregon and California.

I was in Los Angeles for few hours. I saw some skyscrapers constructions in LA metro area. I also saw some brand new skyscrapers along I-405 freeway between LAX airport and Santa Clarita. They look really nice. I didn't take the pictures of it because of the reflection issues. I will find it on the internet and post it here. Back to the point, it is seen that Los Angeles is doing well but I dunno.

I was in Bakersfield, California to visit my relatives there. I read their local newspaper, there are some developers that are proposing to build a couple of low rise to mid rise buildings at California State University of Bakersfield campus and surrounding it. I got puzzled because they wants to build it in the suburbs instead its downtown area. Whatever to Bakersfield!

I went to Salt Lake City for flight change to go home in Seattle. I seen Salt Lake City skyline from the airport... Not impressed.

Glad to be home in Seattle, Washington again! :)

Welcome back, JJ! I see that the Salt Lake City that has not impressed you much since they don't have good skyscrapers?

^^ Fyi, we have discussed about that in the #1 thread. Yeah, it already is a world's tallest self supporting structure now. I don't always read those stuff from wikipedia because it can be un-accurate. I pick up mostly from people who live there or from news worldwide on the other forum called skyscrapercity. :)

That would be correct, as far I can recall :)

Jclarke, I have been to Salt Lake City. The skyline in Salt Lake isn't really all that impressive, just a few ulgy skyscrapers with a few new ones mixing in. Even though, they have beautiful mountains as a backdrop to enchance that. ;)

Here's the example pic of Salt Lake City skyline with mountains as a backdrop. The mountain range is called Watach Front.

salt_lake_city_wasatch_montains_winter_1985.jpg

I will be off topic a little but a question happened to my mind ..

Is there a heat difference between the top floor of a skyscraper and the first floor ?

It does make big difference if people in high rise turn off the AC or heater at all stories. At the first several stories, it usually cooler than compared to top stories. Skyscrapers are somehow similar with three or four stories houses with the temperature differences. It doesn't make any difference if people turn the AC or heater on at all stories.

Some of you guys possible don't know this... If some people open the window at any floor of skyscraper and it will affect entire building with vary of temperature and also will change people's balances. That is why many newer skyscrapers don't have the access to open the windows just to avoid from becoming an issue for people who works at the building. As for residential buildings, most of them built by concrete and will not make any differences if condo dwellers open the windows at their units.

Los Angeles's new Howard Hughes Center I think they got built in 2002 but I am not sure because I remember saw them while they were just started to rise just months before I left Los Angeles metro area in August 2002. Sorry this is only best picture of it I can find on Google. In person, they got a several skyscrapers around the shopping mall. It looks really beautiful and attractive.

lHoward-Hughes-Center-.jpg

Nice picture, Joshua! Honestly, my opinion about Los Angeles, it is quite oddly big city to me because all the high rise skyscrapers are in the middle of the city and there is not really MANY skyscrapers even though it have 4 million people there and all of the buildings surrounding the downtown are just 1-4 stories, there are lot of 1-4 stories buildings at long distance away from downtown Los Angeles.

yeah - not impressed at the look of it. I would if they have attractive and tall skyscrapers around!

I agree. They needs to get rid of this whole Mormon crap first to make Salt Lake City an attractive place to live. That religion turned so many people off and stay away from Salt Lake City and the state of Utah. After that, they can add nicer skyscrapers and rebuild this ugly airport I was at.

Nice picture, Joshua! Honestly, my opinion about Los Angeles, it is quite oddly big city to me because all the high rise skyscrapers are in the middle of the city and there is not really MANY skyscrapers even though it have 4 million people there and all of the buildings surrounding the downtown are just 1-4 stories, there are lot of 1-4 stories buildings at long distance away from downtown Los Angeles.

I agree. Los Angeles has huge height gaps which messed up its skyline big time.

I know why Los Angeles has so many people than city itself look... Los Angeles is known as Latino City. Many Latinos live with their families of over 15 people in one or two bedrooms apartment which made Los Angeles more dense enough to hold over four million people within the city limit.

Yup, it is missing many towers that are being built right now.

I agree. Los Angeles has huge height gaps which messed up its skyline big time.

I know why Los Angeles has so many people than city itself look... Los Angeles is known as Latino City. Many Latinos live with their families of over 15 people in one or two bedrooms apartment which made Los Angeles more dense enough to hold over four million people within the city limit.

Yupp I agree, there's a lot of immigrants in Los Angeles.

Back