Similarities in ASL Signs

ryancher

Reaction score
Okay... I know this should belong in the ASL forum but I'm at work right now and I can't seem to get into that forum it's blocked. I will have to check at home. But for the time being I was hoping it would be okay to post here.

I had a couple ASL questions...

* Firstly I've read there is no formal "you're welcome" signs... is this correct? If so, what do you sign if anything?

* Also... I'm sure there are a lot of signs with similarities but here are 2 I have come across so far:

- Kiss/More - same handshape

- Airplane/I love you - same handshape

How do you tell them apart (is it the movement) - just wondering if there is any confusion between them.

We learned airplane the other day when Tyler saw a plane in the sky... and my husband couldn't understand why we were using the same handshape as I love you.

Yes, I know we are only beginning ASL - so please don't judge us... it's just a question.

Okay... I know this should belong in the ASL forum but I'm at work right now and I can't seem to get into that forum it's blocked. I will have to check at home. But for the time being I was hoping it would be okay to post here.

I had a couple ASL questions...

* Firstly I've read there is no formal "you're welcome" signs... is this correct? If so, what do you sign if anything?

Welcome: The open right hand, held up before the bodyh, sweeps down in an arc and over toward the left side of the chest, ending in the palm-up position.
Reversing that motion gives the passive form of the verb, except that the hand does not arc upward bu rather moves outward in a small arc from the body.

* Also... I'm sure there are a lot of signs with similarities but here are 2 I have come across so far:

- Kiss/More - same handshape

Don't know how you confused this. Kiss is at the lips. More is two hands fingertips meeting. ... Not similar.

- Airplane/I love you - same handshape

Airplane flys forward.That is the difference. If you bounce it too much it counts as a bumpy landing.

How do you tell them apart (is it the movement) - just wondering if there is any confusion between them.

We learned airplane the other day when Tyler saw a plane in the sky... and my husband couldn't understand why we were using the same handshape as I love you.

Yes, I know we are only beginning ASL - so please don't judge us... it's just a question.

And I have answered. I hope it is clear to you now.

You can always check out aslpro.com and click on "main dictionary". I found airplane on there. I didn't find I Love You, but it's the same handshape as airplane with the fingers pointing up in the air. I found more and kiss there too, but I'm not sure I agree with the kiss one.

Each sign includes three components:

1. hand shape

2. orientation

3. movement

Even if signs share two of the three components, they will usually differ in one component.

For example, AIRPLANE and ILY have the same handshape but they differ in orientation and movement.

Then, there is context. The context of the complete message should make it evident which sign is intended.

English speakers learn to deal with "there, their, and they're" and "two, too, and to," "fore, for, and four." So signers can deal with similar hand shapes. :)

in addition to "you're welcome"... It's not really widely used in the deaf community.

We say "thank you" then get "no problem", "no biggie", "anytime!", "lemme know next time if you need help", and or a thumbs up at the end in return.

Culture thing.

in addition to "you're welcome"... It's not really widely used in the deaf community.

We say "thank you" then get "no problem", "no biggie", "anytime!", "lemme know next time if you need help", and or a thumbs up at the end in return.

Culture thing.

That's very true !!!

This is interesting because the very same question about "you're welcome" came up today elsewhere. A CODA said that the THANK-YOU sign used for YOU-ARE-WELCOME was correct, although some people now use the WELCOME-IN sign for YOU-ARE-WELCOME but he thought that looked weird.

:dunno:

Each sign includes three components:

1. hand shape

2. orientation

3. movement

Even if signs share two of the three components, they will usually differ in one component.

For example, AIRPLANE and ILY have the same handshape but they differ in orientation and movement.

Then, there is context. The context of the complete message should make it evident which sign is intended.

English speakers learn to deal with "there, their, and they're" and "two, too, and to," "fore, for, and four." So signers can deal with similar hand shapes. :)

Thanks... that makes perfect sense!!! :ty:

Got it... I'll think I'll go with thumbs up at the end in return. It's easy and very understandable... I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something more appropriate I should be using in return.

Wirelessly posted

Reba said:
souggy said:
Last time I saw "YOU-WELCOME" was in high school...

What sign do you use instead for "you're welcome"?

Two thumbs up, or NO-PROBLEM. (casual), pat on their shoulder. Or smiling with a heads-nod.

If I have a hat, sometimes I am really cheesy and just tip my hat with a gentleman or royal bow for dramatic effect.

Last edited:
For "You're welcome," it depends on the context for me. If there was some sort of exchange that was mutually beneficial, then I will respond with THANK YOU as well and nod or gesture in a way that shows I acknowledge their appreciation and am expressing my own as well.

If it's a situation where that isn't appropriate, such as when I've given something to somebody in a one way exchange, I'll sign ANY TIME or something like, HOPE YOU ENJOY, etc.

Back