Signs placed in sexual predators' yards

Now, he is in court, should he be thrown in jail after 34 years of no crimes committed?

If he did not pay for his crime and the statute of limitations is not limiting the time for prosecution then yes. It is great that he turned his life around and that should be taken into account but he still needs to answer for what he did.

Wirelessly posted

I feel if a person does not want to be labeled as an sex offender or predator, then don't do anyything that will give you that label for life.

I can agree on that one too. :)

Wirelessly posted

You guys dont get it. The signs are NOT put in sex offenders yards. They are being put up on Sexual Predators yards. Big difference. Predator is much more violent and repeated rape or offense.

Wirelessly posted

Thats why the sign is red. Small children cant read Mcdonalds but they sure know what the golden arch is. Kids are visual. Red means stop or danger. By the way small children should not be left unsupervised. This sign is something most school age kids can read. Parents can also tell children what that sign mean.

Fair enough, but what if he's not where he's supposed to be. Think he should wear a headband that says "I am sexual predator" at all times so when he moves out of his area other people can be warned :)

I can see the price of homes in that neighborhood plummeting. The neighbors would be shooting themselves in the foot. I certainly wouldn't buy there.

I think the internet and the local newspaper is sufficient. Unless it is Halloween day, in which case the sign is warranted.

Wirelessly posted

Oc318 said:
Wirelessly posted

Thats why the sign is red. Small children cant read Mcdonalds but they sure know what the golden arch is. Kids are visual. Red means stop or danger. By the way small children should not be left unsupervised. This sign is something most school age kids can read. Parents can also tell children what that sign mean.

Fair enough, but what if he's not where he's supposed to be. Think he should wear a headband that says "I am sexual predator" at all times so when he moves out of his area other people can be warned :)

Actually people in the county want them to have a red tag on their vehicle so people know if they get to close to schools or playground.

He was convicted at 19 yrs old, he committed when he was 18 years old. Now he is 53 yrs old I think. After he received sentence of lifetime imprisonment without possibility of parole (I think, I need to review again). But because his dad is reserve police officer so judge gave him a weekend of last freedom to wrap his affairs before begin serve his sentence. He disappeared right after. He was sentenced already, but never serve a moment of time til last week.

Jail was meant to rehabilitate offenders, what he had done seems to prove that he is not going to re-commited and 34 years on run is long time. No one wants to hide all the time and live in fear of getting caught for too long.

I can refer you to CNN, it is in CNN couple weeks ago I think.

If he did not pay for his crime and the statute of limitations is not limiting the time for prosecution then yes. It is great that he turned his life around and that should be taken into account but he still needs to answer for what he did.

Yeah, didn't think of this and it really hurts more people than the offenders themselves.

I can see the price of homes in that neighborhood plummeting. The neighbors would be shooting themselves in the foot. I certainly wouldn't buy there.

I think the internet and the local newspaper is sufficient. Unless it is Halloween day, in which case the sign is warranted.

Wirelessly posted

diehardbiker said:
Yeah, didn't think of this and it really hurts more people than the offenders themselves.

VacationGuy234 said:

Well that is another reason why they are not wanted in neighborhoods. It brings the property value in the area down.

Last edited:
I doubt it. That would imply that the neighborhood is a very nice area - a suburb mainly for families. Such place typically has school, nurseries, and playgrounds in close proximity... which means a sex offender would not be able to live in there because (depending on each state law), the law requires a sex offender to be approximately 1,000 feet away from those prohibited zones.

on Halloween Day - it's a common knowledge that a sex offender must turn his house light off, making his house looks like nobody's home because it would be a parole violation to hand out candy to kids. each state has its laws on such thing.

http://www.wktv.com/community/hallo...monitors-sex-offenders-closely-176625521.html
As part of Operation Halloween, the Department imposes the following special restrictions on those sex offenders:

• Beginning in the early afternoon on Halloween, or immediately following the end of their work day or completion of an approved community program, all sex offender parolees are to remain in their residence until 6 a.m. the following morning.

• Parolees are not permitted to participate in any Halloween activity; not permitted to wear any costume, mask or other disguise; and cannot open the door to trick-or-treaters.

• In addition, parolees are required to answer their telephones as Parole Officers will be making calls throughout the night, as well as conducting unannounced curfew visits. During those visits, parole officers will have with them portable DVD players to ensure that parolees are not in possession of inappropriate CDs and/or DVDs.

I have a great idea. Why not just put the predators in jail for LIFE?
I'm sorry but rapists and pedophiles cannot reform at ALL.

the sad fact is that most of them were raped/molested as a child too...

I would like that idea. I would not move in there or keep kids away from them. It is not worth to be near those sick people. serious.

No jail is for punishment and to contain people who cannot contain themselves and about justice for the victims.

He has not paid for his crimes. His payment is "lifetime imprisonment without possibility of parole" This is as much about justice for the victims as it is about him. How he has spent his life since does not wash away what he did before.

He was convicted at 19 yrs old, he committed when he was 18 years old. Now he is 53 yrs old I think. After he received sentence of lifetime imprisonment without possibility of parole (I think, I need to review again). But because his dad is reserve police officer so judge gave him a weekend of last freedom to wrap his affairs before begin serve his sentence. He disappeared right after. He was sentenced already, but never serve a moment of time til last week.

Jail was meant to rehabilitate offenders, what he had done seems to prove that he is not going to re-commited and 34 years on run is long time. No one wants to hide all the time and live in fear of getting caught for too long.

I can refer you to CNN, it is in CNN couple weeks ago I think.

Do you have any idea what it is like to be fugitive? Once one flight from the law, they live in extreme fear and paranoid. Had to deal with several repeat sleepless nights, have to watch your back all the time and to get $ to support themselves without getting caught is TOUGH! Most of the fugitives ended up career criminals because they can't get job without getting caught. This guy had to keep quiet, didn't commit any crime for 34 years. That is where I would be willing to give him clemency. A person whose 18 years behaves different than same person whose 53 years old. I believe he learns the hardest lesson already PLUS he is already married with two kids.

And that is exact whats many DA, attorneys etc said the same thing. Let me find the link for you.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/29/justice/massachusetts-fugitive-caught

No jail is for punishment and to contain people who cannot contain themselves and about justice for the victims.

He has not paid for his crimes. His payment is "lifetime imprisonment without possibility of parole" This is as much about justice for the victims as it is about him. How he has spent his life since does not wash away what he did before.

What if someone decides to take the law into their own hands and kills a sexual predator can the sheriff's department be held responsible for putting the sign up in their yard?

There is stiff penalty for doing like this already written in the book.

What if someone decides to take the law into their own hands and kills a sexual predator can the sheriff's department be held responsible for putting the sign up in their yard?

On a lighter note at least it would limit politicians using bright red signs with their name in them.

Do you have any idea what it is like to be fugitive? Once one flight from the law, they live in extreme fear and paranoid. Had to deal with several repeat sleepless nights, have to watch your back all the time and to get $ to support themselves without getting caught is TOUGH! Most of the fugitives ended up career criminals because they can't get job without getting caught. This guy had to keep quiet, didn't commit any crime for 34 years. That is where I would be willing to give him clemency. A person whose 18 years behaves different than same person whose 53 years old. I believe he learns the hardest lesson already PLUS he is already married with two kids.

And that is exact whats many DA, attorneys etc said the same thing. Let me find the link for you.
Convicted rapist caught after nearly 35 years on run - CNN.com

If it was that bad then why didn't he turn himself in? He was sentenced to life without perole so what kind of person he turned into is irrelevent. And you don't know if he's commited other crimes. You only know he hasn't been caught commiting other crimes. He has proven that he is capable.

What would you say to the victims? Oh, he's better now so it's ok.

Whoa wait, it was not me. It was what said in news, they have not come up crime cases matched to him yet. I believe he had submitted his DNA, and of course fingerprinting and they send to FBI to check whole country cases. Its a lot easier now than it was then. If today was like 1990 then your right. What I am saying is that he could have second chance after all of the investigation on crimes with possibility linking to him has exhausted. This may take a while so fair enough having him stay in jail until the investigation has been complete then judge would have better picture and decide from there, instead of throwing him back in and shut him out which isn't going to help anyone anyway. I believe this will take about 2 or so years to complete.

It is very unusual for convict who runs from law had lead law abiding citizen for years.

And you don't know if he's commited other crimes. You only know he hasn't been caught commiting other crimes. He has proven that he is capable.

What would you say to the victims? Oh, he's better now so it's ok.

You're missing what i'm saying. It's not about what he has become, it's about what he did. Commiting a a crime and being good for 30 years is no different than being good for 30 years and then commiting a crime. I've never hurt anyone in my 34 year but if i go out and commit a violent crime it's not washed away because i was good before.

Not all crimes, especially rape, are reported. Not all that are reported have have usable dna. If he did commit more crimes they may not have been recent enough for dna.

Back