Signs of Slowing Down

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
As we get older, we "slow" down which could mean several things. I am wondering what are the signs that you are "slowing" down as you get older because it is interesting how we all "slow" down in different ways.

For me....I used to be able to work all day and then go out to an event on Fridays. Now, I turn down any invites to any events that are held on Friday evenings because I would rather stay at home and relax.

ACCKKKK, I am "slowing" down! :lol:

What about you? :D

stuffedcat.jpg

Having to use a cane is sure sign of me slowing down and I think getting old sucks . I would love to know where are those golden years are that I kept hearing about as a kid . I think it meant that insurance companies and doctors made a lot of money off people getting old. :roll:

Have my good/bad days...yesterday was one at the Flea Market...we walked and walked. browsed and browsed....Our car was on the other side of the Flea Market...and my doggie was wore out so I had to carry her...:roll:...so that wore me out!...and I had to sit down at a bus stop and let my son bring the car around to pick me and the doggie up....A spring chicken I aint'...but I do push myself to the limit and get as much exercise as possible....

Where's the damn fountain of youth?

RR, I know it is NOT in Florida as most would have assume... Dang that it is myth after all :(

Where's the damn fountain of youth?

RR, I know it is NOT in Florida as most would have assume... Dang that it is myth after all :(

No such thing, basically moving your butt and keeping free radicals in line. RR's got the right idea. One sign I heard about before any slowing down is moticeable is a high resting heart rate - not good!

No such thing, basically moving your butt and keeping free radicals in line. RR's got the right idea. One sign I heard about before any slowing down is moticeable is a high resting heart rate - not good!

:aw:, do you mean we can never get to those rocking chairs on the front porch, and spend the day? That's what I'd like to do, as I get older I get lazier!
I do have days where I do have more energy and enthusiasm, but I have to force the keep moving thing now. OK, I'm going to dress warm and do my walk in a few minutes.

:aw:, do you mean we can never get to those rocking chairs on the front porch, and spend the day? That's what I'd like to do, as I get older I get lazier!
I do have days where I do have more energy and enthusiasm, but I have to force the keep moving thing now. OK, I'm going to dress warm and do my walk in a few minutes.

Consult with your Dr, it's only a guideline. The body can adapt, that's the reason for exercise. :)

Dont be silly, I'm just joking. But yeah, I wish one does exist.

Another sign of my slowing down...becoming harder to go up and down the stairs.

We had 3 older people in my condo fall down the basement stairs . :(
The steps are too high and older people can't lift their legs up high enough.

We had 3 older people in my condo fall down the basement stairs . :(
The steps are too high and older people can't lift their legs up high enough.

Oh, geez, don't even mention basement stairs. I fell off the side of our stairs about 8 yrs ago, broke my shoulder in three places and shattered some bones in my arm, bad, bad fall. I was alone at the time, was determined that I was not going to lay on the floor for days, so I picked up my arm, and climbed the stairs to call my friend, who helped me call for an ambulance.

My husband was away at the time, he was a merchant seaman, and spent months at sea.

I am very careful on all stairs now, and have a dreadful fear of falls!

Getting slow getting up and down on the chairs or vehicles.

I think its more annoying that my mind hasn't slowed down even though my body has and find myself thinking geez I can't jump off the top of a fire truck anymore like I used to.

Oh, geez, don't even mention basement stairs. I fell off the side of our stairs about 8 yrs ago, broke my shoulder in three places and shattered some bones in my arm, bad, bad fall. I was alone at the time, was determined that I was not going to lay on the floor for days, so I picked up my arm, and climbed the stairs to call my friend, who helped me call for an ambulance.

My husband was away at the time, he was a merchant seaman, and spent months at sea.

Oh, wow, that's awful! :eek3:

I think its more annoying that my mind hasn't slowed down even though my body has and find myself thinking geez I can't jump off the top of a fire truck anymore like I used to.

Ohhhhh, that reminds me....I went hiking last weekend and saw a huge tree. Tried to climb on it just like I was a kid. Couldn't do it!

oh, geez, don't even mention basement stairs. I fell off the side of our stairs about 8 yrs ago, broke my shoulder in three places and shattered some bones in my arm, bad, bad fall. I was alone at the time, was determined that i was not going to lay on the floor for days, so i picked up my arm, and climbed the stairs to call my friend, who helped me call for an ambulance.

When the snap-crackle-pop is not your morning cereal.

The stairs in our basement only had railing on one side and after the people fell railing were put on the other side. I got my condo to do this to rest of the basements , it sure made it a lot safer using the stairs now. I was afraid I was going fall off the side b/c of my bad balance so I kept bugging my condo to do something . I am sorry to hear that happen to you . I have to go the basement do my laundry and I hate having to do this.

@ ncff07 That was of biggest complains I heard from my clients when I was a health aid , that they still know how do drive a car or tractor or do a chore but was not able b/c their body was too old . I had one client that told me he would rather go out side and run around a tree until he had a heart attack before having to go to a nursing home. His legs gave out before he could that . I really think he would had tried give himself a heart attack.

Back