Signing to kids in public

since u are full deaf, why not sign to ur kids in public? so i love see my kids sign to talk with me.. i know they are not deaf but wonder why not sign to ur kids in public?

I can speak very clearly, so why do my boys are required to signs only when I can understand them and they understand me?

Cheri, I understand and respect your children education but I have to agree part of Kalsia, Opal and Tweetybirdie´s posts.

As what you say that you sign with your deaf friends to the public. Okay.

You has no problem to voice communicate with your children because they are hearing. Okay.

But I would like to ask you some curious questions since you connect with deafies. How can your boys communicate with your deaf friends when your deaf friends understand only ASL or whatever ? Do your boys understand your deafies friends?

I do not change anything because my boys are hearing but it´s ME, they have to accept as the same I accept what my hearing sons are because it´s THEM. It´s important for the children to accept what their parents are.

I expose my children what I am and my hubby expose his children what he is. I am strong sign with broke voice and my hubby is oral and strong sign to our children. They know what we are and understand us fully without ask me "pardon, what you say". I sign them with or without voice with them... When we are at deaf friends´s houses, outing trips or festivals... My boys understand everything what deafies said which is not boring for them. They can communicate with deafies. They like to interpet for them at hearing world (deaf outing trips).

It´s problem for me to communicate with the children of my friends who can´t use sign... I have to use my body gesture or speak (only if they understand me) if not, then paper and pen. If the children of my friends can sign then is easy for me sign with them like what I can sign to Opal´s children.

I do not make you something but ask you questions... and let you know and share my post with you all.

there's no need to bash others.. as long they're happy... i know one friend of mine who doesn't sign to their 2 kids she have a hearing husband.. but they seem fine with it.. the whole family. sometimes i do wonder why she don't do it.. but its her.. she enjoys that way and is comfortable that way. as long they all are happy.. i respect her ways

same with cheri.. she is happy on her own way and her son is happy i assume.
so i respect her ways. every parent is different.. can't judge their parenting.

my son.. is 5.. just done with pre-k all the kids don't know anything about deaf people there. its a small town, anyway.. the young girl sean was eatting with.. was make-up sign to me. sean just walks away after that happens... my mom is with me.. she talks with voice.. he's fine.. when me and ONG sign he just makes expressions like "shhhh" or so....

i remember when i was young boy i never want my mom to sign to me in public until my late 7th grade.

Bash? :confused:

Is my question bash or what?

Is share POV with ADers are also bash or what as well?

Okkkaayyyyy, I leave this thread here alone and walk away...

Bash? :confused:

Is my question bash or what?

Is share POV with ADers are also bash or what as well?

Okkkaayyyyy, I leave this thread here alone and walk away...
im not saying you're bashing.. and i'm not pointing who's bashing or starting one.

I regret because I used both voice and sign to my two sons. I realized, two languages cause them confuse. I should have to listen to Marie Philips because she advises me to turn my voice off while I sign. It helps my two son

Guess my post didn't go thru...

I quoted Kalista's whole post and then added my comments...

I agree with u about voicing and signing at the same time. One language usually gets dropped which is most likely ASL.

When I finally became fluent in ASL was when my daughter was around 3 years old. All that time I was oral with her since I was just learning ASL myself in the past 3 years. Anyway, I thought that for her I must sign and voice at the same time until I went to grad school and studied linquistics and language acquistation. That was when I learned of my error and the reason my daughter is unable to express herself in ASL..she signs in SEE so other deaf people and deaf children have a hard time communicating with her sometimes.

Then about 3 years ago, when she moved back with me full time, I signed with her without my voice. Was a challenge but now she can understand ASL receptively but still expressed herself using SEE. Will take some time. However, with my baby, I sign with my voice off. He is puicking up on ASL and English separately. Many people even tell me that he acts deaf..whatever that means. LOL!

A lot of my deaf friends sign with their hearing kids in full ASL cuz they don't have good speech skills themselves but their kids are fluent in both languages. Just a neat thing and funny thing is that there is a trend with hearing parents taking their hearing babies to sogn language classes. Studies said it helps the babies express themselves easier and less temper tantrums. :)

Liebling,

I respect your opinion and I do know where you are coming from, but the issue with me is that I don't social with the deaf, I would only see deaf people at events or deaf expos. I social mostly with hearing people and am friends with hearing people the most in my hometown. Most of my close deaf friends live far away from me.

My boys are aware of my deafness, and understands that I uses sign language, but they do know a few signs but they do not sign fluently, either do I, those who met me in real life can tell you that.

We are more comfortable with using our voices more than signs, my children don't mind learning signs they think it's fun, and I don't mind teaching them more if they are interesting in learning. But, really the issue is we don't go to any deaf communities or social around the deaf very often, it's rarely.

If that makes me a bad mother be it, because I don't think my boys should learn my language when they're hearing and I'm not going to force them, if they want to learn, I'm all to it. I always believe in individuals choice. ;)

i remember when i was young boy i never want my mom to sign to me in public until my late 7th grade.

That's cute :giggle: Were you embarrassed? I don't blame you, I feel like if I sign in public everyone is gonna stare at me like a hawk. :giggle:

Liebling,

I respect your opinion and I do know where you are coming from, but the issue with me is that I don't social with the deaf, I would only see deaf people at events or deaf expos. I social mostly with hearing people and am friends with hearing people the most in my hometown. Most of my close deaf friends live far away from me.

My boys are aware of my deafness, and understands that I uses sign language, but they do know a few signs but they do not sign fluently, either do I, those who met me in real life can tell you that.

We are more comfortable with using our voices more than signs, my children don't mind learning signs they think it's fun, and I don't mind teaching them more if they are interesting in learning. But, really the issue is we don't go to any deaf communities or social around the deaf very often, it's rarely.

If that makes me a bad mother be it, because I don't think my boys should learn my language when they're hearing and I'm not going to force them, if they want to learn, I'm all to it. I always believe in individuals choice. ;)

nah..u r not a bad mother for doing that!!! The most important thing is that your boys developed language whether it is in sign or spoken form. U r not the only deaf person who uses their voice with their hearing children. Heck, I even know one deaf lady who is planning on implanting her daughter this summer and she said she will start using two languages with her daughter. Will use spoken English and ASL. . I chose to have my hearing kids to be bilingual but that doesn't make me a better mother than u. If anyone says that based on that fact alone they r wrong.

Responding to some posts

Just an anecdote: I am a journalist, HOH and learning sign. I've recently just came into the deaf community at all, and was taught only oral and spent 12 years in speech therapy. I can read lips across a room because of it...but that's background.

This is in response to the confusion of voice and sign at the same time. I think it can be confusing because.....

When I interview deaf people (and we have a huge deaf community here that I make sure to reach out to and cover equally - prob because I am HOH..anyhow) that can speak, I have a hard time deciding whether to listen, watch hands or watch lips. I was interviewing a very HOH mom for a foster story and she could hear some, and could talk carefully, but she had an interpreter there anyway. At one point, I had two people signing and talking to me, and I had to stop. I wish I could have been able to take the time to really go through the sign, but it was work related, but it was very confusing. I was trying to hear, but also watch the sign at the same time.

Today I interviewed a graduate from the deaf school (with an interpreter) and the same thing...trying to write/listen/ and follow the signs, though I did walk out with a few new ones. :)
I suppose if it was less work intensive and general conversation, it might not be as difficult to pick up because I could take the time to stop the person to translate.

A

i have a hearing bros who is a ohcoda.. he is not embrassed signing in public since he was little...

sign language in public

My daughter is deaf. When she was 13 we went through a stage where she did not want me to sign in public for her. It was only a short time. She wanted to look the same as the kids and the people around her. She did not want to draw attention or appear different. This was a very short stage though. However, it made me realize that at times I should be discrete and sign lower. Most of the time she doesn't care.

I love being able to sign to my other children when we are following them in a car or at a game. Signing is fun. Just wish my skills were stronger.

Best

Yea sometimes children are embarrassed to sign in public knowing that other people would stare at them, makes them feel unconformable. That's very common. ;)

I don't think it's really a big deal signing in public with kids. That's how we all communicate to each other. Hearing people talk in public with hearing kids, so it's the same thing but different language.

Yes, I see lot of kids stare at deaf people signing to each other. That's their curiousity, ha.

No, it's not a big deal signing to my family members and deaf friends in public. I had one memorable occasion where I was playing in a guitar recital ( I am h/h) and I was sitting on stage waiting for the technician to replace the battery in my guitar and I was talking to a friend and a few of my family members in the audience. There were about 150 people in the auditorium watching me signing and not knowing what to make of it! I guess it was a culture shock for them. :eek3:

Back