Signing to kids in public

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
I'm wondering how ur kids react when you sign to them in public.. do they ever feel embarrased or shy or don't want you to use ASL in public because they feel different than the whole surround?

i would like to her your storys.. so i can see if mine is similar. heh yet my son doesn't tell me or ONG to not sign. but am thinking of something....

I'm wondering how ur kids react when you sign to them in public.. do they ever feel embarrased or shy or don't want you to use ASL in public because they feel different than the whole surround?

i would like to her your storys.. so i can see if mine is similar. heh yet my son doesn't tell me or ONG to not sign. but am thinking of something....

I don't feel shy when sign in ASL on public area.

well if my kids dont wanna me to sign in public then explain to them how can i convo with my own kids in public?, and kids should be proud of parents who they are..

interesting thread, I really never thought about this.

My boys and we do that public since their toddlers time. I guess because we expose our boys both Deaf and Hearing world, that´s how they really never thought about this. They sign to us to the public as I sign to them as well.

At first at kindergarten, the children were like :shock: at us... :giggle:

I see nothing wrong with that. My parents don't sign to me, but my friends' parents do. When they do, I'm fine with it. :)

I sign in the public with my children and my children signs in the public as well because both of them are deaf. They don't feel any different when they are in a different surrounding. That is because they are exposed to signing 24/7, naturally.

So, I can't really say much of how it is like to have a hearing child and to be embarrassed of signing in a public environment.

I am sure some of the parents here in AD that has hearing children could help and share their feedbacks with you. ;)

i never been embrassment in public but i do like signs with my parents but my mom mostly and some my dad and my brother.

i never been ASL class so im learn sign when i was 5 years old my mom tell me about that.

my family always learn sign not lots so using write and paper what saying my grandma and my aunt really good sign not lots

My daughter is 10 years old..her father is hearing who doesnt know a lot of signing so of course when they are together, they use spoken language. When she is with me, we alternate between signing and spoken language..but more and more signing now as she becomes more fluent in it. I didnt know any signs when she was born so old habit. She has never really shown any embarrasment so far about signing in public. That I am not aware of so far...maybe when she hits pre-teen, we'll see. I wont stop signing with her wherever we are at. :)

I see nothing wrong with that. My parents don't sign to me, but my friends' parents do. When they do, I'm fine with it. :)

Did you grow up orally? How did you communicate with your parents?

To answer your question, Deafscuba, I don't have any kids. I hope they won't care. If I have hearing kids, I want to enroll them in a school where it speaks fluently in Spanish and English.

I usually don't sign language to my hearing friends in the public area. So, are my family. I understand them fine. Without CIs, it would be a little bit problem to understand.

i would like to hear your storys.. so i can see if mine is similar. heh yet my son doesn't tell me or ONG to not sign. but am thinking of something....

This is Opal's hearing daughter wrote here:

i don't feal embarassed or shy or anything when my mum talks to me infount of my friends. Most of my friends already know that she is deaf, and are used to me talking about it. My friends usually asks me after wards 'What was she saying?' and i laugh and tell them. They all ask me how to sign, some times its annoying hearing them ask all the time. The only two things i find annoying when i tell my friends shes deaf they say "death, how can someone be death" and i say "deaf, shes hearing impared, it means she cant talk or hear" and they are like "ohh sorry" and when i talk to my mum in frount of my friends is when i dont understand what she is saying. Or when she doesnt understand what i am saying, its a bit embarrasing when you have to keep asking 'what?' It is good to know another language though. When mum signs to me in the shops, when people stare i think its funny, because they are seeing something new, and they tend to stare. Usually i smile and wave at me, and they give me rude looks. Its rude, but im used to it. Also knowing signlanguage is a part of who i am, and it makes me special because not that many people know how to sign.

:cool:

I don't sign to my kids in public because They're not deaf. I use my voice to communicate with them, but they have seen me sign in public with other deaf, I make sure I use my voice and sign the same time so my kids would know what I'm talking about. I won't leave them out unless there is something they should not know about based on their age. They are not embarrassed because they know I'm deaf and uses the sign method to communicate with other deaf. ;)

I remember, when my two hearing sons - They used sign language at the cafeteria at middle school and high school due to privately conversation. Some of their friends know the basic sign language to conversation each other about the girls, friends and teachers that other students did not understand their conversation. It was taking a lot of a good advantage for the hearing kids know sign language far the distance instead of screaming.

I don't sign to my kids in public because They're not deaf. I use my voice to communicate with them, but they have seen me sign in public with other deaf, I make sure I use my voice and sign the same time so my kids would know what I'm talking about. I won't leave them out unless there is something they should not know about based on their age. They are not embarrassed because they know I'm deaf and uses the sign method to communicate with other deaf. ;)

I regret because I used both voice and sign to my two sons. I realized, two languages cause them confuse. I should have to listen to Marie Philips because she advises me to turn my voice off while I sign. It helps my two son’s ASL proficiently when they become older.

Strongly encourage you to turn your voice off, your son’s language in ASL will pick up really quickly expose your proficiently sign language.

We constantly use sign language in the public since they were infants. We are very proud ourselves to using sign language since they were little kids. ASL is a beautiful language.

Your children are hearing, you are Deaf. Therefore; use your sign language because it is your language not them ! They need to pick up the language when they become older to communication with you better.

Voice and Sign at same time cause complication in two languages for the young children.

I regret because I used both voice and sign to my two sons. I realized, two languages cause them confuse. I should have to listen to Marie Philips because she advises me to turn my voice off while I sign. It helps my two son’s ASL proficiently when they become older.

Strongly encourage you to turn your voice off, your son’s language in ASL will pick up really quickly expose your proficiently sign language.

We constantly use sign language in the public since they were infants. We are very proud ourselves to using sign language since they were little kids. ASL is a beautiful language.

Your children are hearing, you are Deaf. Therefore; use your sign language because it is your language not them ! They need to pick up the language when they become older to communication with you better.

Voice and Sign at same time cause complication in two languages for the young children.

I was thinking the same too, as I witness one day, I had a party at my place, and I took my strong deaf oralism friend's son, she was told not to teach him in sign language because her husband is hearing, she agreed to bring him up in oral only, sign language is not allowed, I respect their decision.

Anyway I and other signing friend and her deaf daughter and we decided to take him with us for the day babysitting, we took him to my local swimming pool, my signing friend's deaf daughter was nearly drowning at the pool, we were panic, and the Lifeguard came to take her out of the pool to give her a kiss of life, and we all went to First Aid Room, and Lifeguards/First Aid people tried to save her life, etc and question us what's happen and how and why. We realised we only have an Oral boy (he was 13 at that time) to interpret for us, he was LOST for words and DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY!! He feel cheating as he is unable to help us, it turn me off big time, and I realised I must teach my children full sign languages. This had happen before I become a MUM.

Of course I had no problem in looking after this oral boy all the time while he was little, but when it happen in emergency, its a big different.

since u are full deaf, why not sign to ur kids in public? so i love see my kids sign to talk with me.. i know they are not deaf but wonder why not sign to ur kids in public?

I regret because I used both voice and sign to my two sons. I realized, two languages cause them confuse. I should have to listen to Marie Philips because she advises me to turn my voice off while I sign. It helps my two son

It's the same thing with hearing parents with deaf children, You got upset when hearing parents teach their deaf child oral method, and not thinking about the deaf child.

And you telling me my children should know sign language only without voice?

It isn't about me, It's about my children, If my children are hearing, then I would use my voice for them. They come first, I come last. ;)

My boys know a few signs, I don't mind. We communicate just fine. :thumb:

Back