Signed music videos on youtube -- offensive or not?

Awesome! :D I wish you all the best in your studies! :)

thanks so much! i'll definitely be postin updates about it when i start my classes! but i'm also kinda hesitant about it because i know alot of D/deaf people don't like terps. i just hope i don't give them further reason to feel that way... -hoping i don't suck-

thanks so much! i'll definitely be postin updates about it when i start my classes! but i'm also kinda hesitant about it because i know alot of D/deaf people don't like terps. i just hope i don't give them further reason to feel that way... -hoping i don't suck-

Cool! I'm sure you'll do just fine. :) By the way, if you ever have questions about deafblind interpreting and tactile sign, you're more than welcome to send me a PM. I've been using tactile sign (PSE, SEE, ASL) since 1995. I have CIs now, but I still use a tactile terp for medical appointments.

Cool! I'm sure you'll do just fine. :) By the way, if you ever have questions about deafblind interpreting and tactile sign, you're more than welcome to send me a PM. I've been using tactile sign (PSE, SEE, ASL) since 1995. I have CIs now, but I still use a tactile terp for medical appointments.

thank you so much. don't be surprised if i send you a pm in the near future teehee.

Hi all,

I'm new here, but wanted to reply to this thread. I have started signing songs and posting them on YouTube. I list both ASL and PSE in the title. ASL for search purposes, since I think most people might be putting ASL in their searches, but I also add PSE since I tend toward more of PSE than true ASL. I'm learning and I'm trying to do more of the ASL grammar, but it's hard when you're just learning. I also think that following kind of close to what the words are helps with the feel of the song.

For instance, I'm working on a song that has the line...
"What will my heart feel?" So, I'm signing: "My heart feel what?"
"What my eyes will see" So I sign: "My eyes see what?"
Is that correct, or am I doing it wrong?

Anyway, I think most people are not trying to mislead or be offensive, they just don't realize they need to try to be more specific in what they're signing. At least that's what I'm trying to do..... I hope I'm explaining this right. :O) :wave:

Lauren

Yeah, the only thing I find upsetting about the signed videos are that they will be listed as ASL when infact they are SEE. But it not only help me understand some lyrics to the songs I can't understand and helps with my vocabulary also.

It is not a language but rather a MCE system of ASL and signed English mixed together.

And forgive my arrogance... but does PSE use English grammar and ASL signs? I'm just curious since I tend to use a little more English grammar than I should lmao.

And forgive my arrogance... but does PSE use English grammar and ASL signs? I'm just curious since I tend to use a little more English grammar than I should lmao.

Yes, PSE generally uses ASL signs and English grammar

Yeah, the only thing I find upsetting about the signed videos are that they will be listed as ASL when infact they are SEE. But it not only help me understand some lyrics to the songs I can't understand and helps with my vocabulary also.

The problem with songs being signed in ASL is that it will remove the poetic significance in the song itself.

For instance, in the English language... the structure is done in standard English grammar format.

I'm not going to use words, but here's an idea of how songs are often done... (same with poetry)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
5 - 6 - 7 - 8
5 - 6 - 7 - 8
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
5 - 6 - 7 - 8

Notice how there's a pattern? It's because of the rhyming sounds of the lyrics and/or the meaning of the words. Since they follow the same format and pattern, it's becomes like music.

However, in ASL... the grammar format is different. Here's what a song done in ASL would probably be like...

4 - 1 - 3 - 2
3 - 4 - 1 - 2
7 - 8 - 6 - 5
5 - 7 - 8 - 6
1 - 4 - 3 - 2
5 - 6 - 8 - 7

There's no rhythm or rhyming.

Of course, that's understandable for people who can't hear... but that would then make it all about signing. In that case, there can be poetry in signing... if similar sign shapes were used instead of sound rhyming. With that, different words would need to be used.

That's why a good song signed in ASL would have to be written differently than the song written in English.

(This is just my opinion.)

That's why a good song signed in ASL would have to be written differently than the song written in English.

(This is just my opinion.)

I have to agree here. I have only seen a handful of songs that were successfully done in pure ASL, and they took a lot of prep works beforehand. I have nothing against PSE, but it would be nice to see more done in ASL grammar.

My opinion of the signed videos? It would be nice to see more original works, even if the instrumental and dubbed over vocal is really a cover, rather than using someone else's MP3s.

PSE and SEE are deffenatly the best route when signing an English song, I'm just saying it's irritating when the title states the song is done in ASL when, in fact, its not.

Songs being signed is beautiful, regardless. I enjoy them all.

I do not find it offensive for the songs to be signed in any mode. I have seen people use their hands, and body language while they sing. To empathize the songs. To me it vary from person to person.

Many people do not know the difference between ASL, PSE or SEE.

They're offended because PSE was used, not ASL.

However, I would rather PSE be used since it helps make the song make sense in a poetic way.

I've seen songs sung in ASL and I couldn't follow it as well as I could when it was in PSE.

Vampryrox,

Interesting point. Perhaps if we view it somewhat like this: Just as Music has written notes compared to English; so PSE could be viewed as the Music language of ASL therefore bringing no offense to anyone?

BecLak.

Here are a couple done by a friend who is an interpreter of Greek Sign Language, along with his partner. It's pure GSL; I think they did a nice job. They've not gotten any negative comments at all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we0j1XqKH1Y]YouTube - akatallili skini GSL[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT8hMmDmkDo&NR=1]YouTube - Eimai kala GSL[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Tq3WUHmm8&feature=related]YouTube - Ela GSL[/ame]

PSE and SEE are deffenatly the best route when signing an English song, I'm just saying it's irritating when the title states the song is done in ASL when, in fact, its not.

i agree! i sign SEE right now but am signed up to take asl 1 this semester. for music and poetry english format is best in my opinion. but yes there needs to be asl music videos too as well as PSE and SEE. they should say in begining of video whether PSE SEE or ASL. just my thoughts...:hmm:

Vampryrox,

Interesting point. Perhaps if we view it somewhat like this: Just as Music has written notes compared to English; so PSE could be viewed as the Music language of ASL therefore bringing no offense to anyone?

BecLak.

Ahhh, yes. exactly.

Seems like a good outlet for someone to be creative in expression regardless of which signing system they use. I believe there are benefits to using MCE's or (to coin a phrase) a Manually Coded Hybrid (MCH) for PSE. English is a rich language and I personally believe that MCE's help make that accessible to deaf folks. I would view this as a form of artist expression and like the components of a painting, the artist can choose which brush (signing system) they would like to use to be creative with.

I love to watch them. They promote sign language, and that is a plus in my opinion. I like Bjorn Storm on youtube. His Black Eyed Peas song Pump It is a blast.

Back