Showdown at Gallaudet!

Farewell, my friend works at gally. She told me that someone threw the apple juice to King, even spit at him too. Also told me that there were feces on the floor of SAC.

Nothing like soiling your own nest in an attempt to 'get' someone. LOL

throwing feces or crapping on the floor makes about as much sense as people in inner cities who destroy the businesses in the area in protest against something then whine when they no longer have a place to buy food or whatever.

IMO the idiots who protested this way should clean up after themselves. I personally woudn't want to be near this place until it had been completely decontaminated, if any type of food was available in it it should be completely shut down until it's been cleaned. :ugh:

:rolleyes: move on shall we we're here for education. time for them to accept that galludet has to deal with some serious cleaning up, and get with the educational aspect in life not the repuation in life! DPN was the best movement, BPN totally egoism reeking of nothing but time on thier hands. so what if you don't like JF, we don't like Bush either but he was voted in, so wait until she retires then declare the guidlines and let the SBG do the hiring and firing. thats IMO

then again it'll be ingored like it usually does...

JP, I'd hate to go against you, but I've done a lot of thinking about the comparison you made between Bush and Fernandes, and its not a fair analogy. They're both elected leaders, but the methods in which they were elected is where they differ. Bush was elected and then reelected by the vote of the people who serves. Fernandes was selected in a closed door selection process by the board of trustees, which the student body had no say in.

JP, I'd hate to go against you, but I've done a lot of thinking about the comparison you made between Bush and Fernandes, and its not a fair analogy. They're both elected leaders, but the methods in which they were elected is where they differ. Bush was elected and then reelected by the vote of the people who serves. Fernandes was selected in a closed door selection process by the board of trustees, which the student body had no say in.

Yes, right.

I even was quite bothered when I discovered that Jordan as Gally prez and as a member of the Bot, he even had more vote power than other Bot members. I thought it may have been mostly on Jodan's favor too heavily on Jane to be chosen as the next prez. It sounds like almost like a power corruption. It must be something else, too.
-------------------------
Even Jordan didn't take a good listening to the community beforehand, not only from students but facilities, staffs, alumnis, NAD, and many organisations also. And Jane and Jordan still do not listen.... wow, what kind of leaders they are... no way to operate such a position.

That's where it started, not for the sake due to Jane's hoh status or deaf/audism issues. It's because due to her poor leadership as the main reason they protest this time. Some of you posters in this forum was misunderstood or misled to believe that the protest was mainly due to the deaf/audism issues - No! We need to clear this misunderstanding up. Even the Washington News misled this to the public about that, too, sigh.

I wonder why Fernandes even wants the job. Obviously she's going to be ineffective if there is this much protest about her. Why would anybody want to take a job where your customers more or less say "Hey, we hate you and we don't trust you! Go away!"

She seems foolish to me to even try to stay. She should just negotiate a huge settlement with the university to release the board from its obligation to her. Then all the students would have to pay for her settlement (increased tuition). The students could then lobby for more say in the selection process (although I think this would be sort of unique for most universities -- however, in this case, it kind of makes sense).

Ya can't re-live DPN.

It kind of seems like they already are reliving it. This time I.K. Jordan is Jerry Lee, and Jane Fernandes is Elisabeth Zinser.

To me it seems like the whole situation could be resolved if the university gave more decision making authority to student government. Why don't they make the President of student government a standing member on the Board of Trustees? (Or, perhaps elect a student representative from each grade level to be on the BOT?) Then, the students could never say that they didn't have any influence in these kinds of decisions. They might have to swallow the fact that sometimes they would get outvoted, but they could never say that they had no influence.

It seems odd to me that now that Gally has 51% Deaf Trustees, how can we say that Deaf interests weren't represented in selecting Fernandes? Students may say they don't like her, but on what grounds can they strike? Did the Board let the students down? What happened?

I'm sorry for those who disagree about the protest. It is OK to agree to disagree. I am fine with that.

I do feel that the protest is for a very good cause. It is about the social injustice that the Gallaudet Administrators has been up to. It is not about how "deaf enough" Jane is. It is also about the question of her leadership ability. She had 6 years to do that as a Provost at Gallaudet University to be able to redeem herself on that postition.

Where is the student's rights to be able to vote for a president? Where are the student's right to be able to govern a university? After all, the students are the one who is keeping the university running. They are the one that pays for the tuition, foods and boarding costs. They are the heart of the university. Just as if supposedly, If the congress had chose and elected a President for the USA without the citizen's approval? How would that make you feel? That alone would have made you outraged and that in order is something that Gallaudet University's Board of Trustees needs to look at. There has been more oppression to go on at the University. It is not about how Jane is. It is about how the Administration has been treating the Faculty, Students, Staff and Alumni. We want a better president who knows it's way through the system and a president who will be able to carry us through for the better and to get on to the next level (or better yet, go beyond the plateau).

From my reading of different posts about the protests at Gally...its not about wanting a deaf prez like back in 1988. Its about leadership and management abilities and somewhere, I read a list of things Fernedes did which made things worse than before she became provost. I don't remember where that posting is but it explains alot why the Gally students don't want her.

This is NOT 1988 DPN again but its about leadership for Gally's future. Please continue to read blogs, vlogs about the protests and you will find better info. about the protests than from tv news and newspapers which doesn't get all the right info.

Wow, after seeing those poll numbers (assuming they're right), I have no idea why Jane would even want this position. She's crazy. Over 2/3 of the faculty say they find her unacceptable. Over 80% of the students say they find her unacceptable. She's going to find it impossible to govern and set policy.

As I said before, I think if she's smart, she should approach the BOT and just work on a settlement with the BOT to pay her off and leave. She's nuts if she thinks she can make this work. She'd have to resort to USSR-like / Stalinist tactics (firing faculty and expelling students) to have any chance of being effective, and that's just going to make her more hated.

Some people don't know when they're not wanted....

Guess what?

Jordan just announced that he postponed the homecoming game weekend.

That's so outreagous since so many deaf people especially alumnis already booked airline, bus, train tickets and hotels all that for this hc weekend coming.

I think he really did it in purpose to prevent more protests from outside Gally to help their protest cause during this hc weekend. I think that many still plan to go despite this hc weekend situation.

Guess what?

That's so outreagous since so many deaf people especially alumnis already booked airline, bus, train tickets and hotels all that for this hc weekend coming.

I think he really did it in purpose to prevent more protests from outside Gally to help their protest cause during this hc weekend. I think that many still plan to go despite this hc weekend situation.

HC fball game postponed? Wheres proof such as link or any bs? Ofc, all events on campus are postponed, not off campus events such as ballroom at ESPNZone, few class renuions are still on since Gallaudet has nothing do with off campus HC events

Now abt protest, I wish protest will be over ASAP since protest caused MSSD football games canelled for 2 times!! When they will stop protest????

HC fball game postponed? Wheres proof such as link or any bs? Ofc, all events on campus are postponed, not off campus events such as ballroom at ESPNZone, few class renuions are still on since Gallaudet has nothing do with off campus HC events

Now abt protest, I wish protest will be over ASAP since protest caused MSSD football games canelled for 2 times!! When they will stop protest????

I would say that they will continue protesting till Jane step down officially.

I received GUAA email recently that the game could be possibly resumed but better wait bit of time for those situation being ironed out underway. I hope it does.

My best guess if it happens to continue till January, then she would be overwhelmed because Jordan steps out as prez on Dec. 31st. So that leaves her with real small numbers on her side while thousands and thousands would be still against her.

Jordan and Jane are beyond hyprocites that we all don't need to ruin Gally anymore - ever.

Guess what?

Yes!! That's it!! Jordan only wants to get back at you. It has nothing to do with the mob on campus restricting access to campus. Of course we all know when something like this is going on, the best thing to do is allow hundreds of people onto campus.
Jordan didn't postpone HC. The students on campus postponed it.
If the alumni want their money back, ask the students to take up a collection.
You're upset about HC being cancelled?? How do you feel about tests and classes that were missed? What's your take on people not being able to access campus for the other programs offered to deaf/ hh people?
Upset about HC cancellation...please

Where is the student's rights to be able to vote for a president? >>>>
You're kidding right?
>>>>
Where are the student's right to be able to govern a university?
>>>>
you're kidding right?
>>>>
After all, the students are the one who is keeping the university running. They are the one that pays for the tuition, foods and boarding costs. They are the heart of the university.
>>>>
ok let them hire someone who has no knowledge about the laws, regulations and everything else required to run a multimillion dollar system but is 'liked' by the students. (but please don't use any of my tax money to finance something that won't deliver as it should, fund it yourselves, then you can completely control it, thanks)
>>>>

Just as if supposedly, If the congress had chose and elected a President for the USA without the citizen's approval? How would that make you feel? That alone would have made you outraged and that in order is something that Gallaudet University's Board of Trustees needs to look at. >>>

actually if I recall history, the senate was set up to choose the president at first, but that changed. Seeing our senate now I'm glad they don't have that oppertunity, they do are a bunch of incompetant rich guys that on one side always get a pass when they break the laws that would put you or I in jail or the other side where their constituants vote them out when they need to be held accountable. >>>>>

There has been more oppression to go on at the University. It is not about how Jane is. It is about how the Administration has been treating the Faculty, Students, Staff and Alumni. We want a better president who knows it's way through the system and a president who will be able to carry us through for the better and to get on to the next level (or better yet, go beyond the plateau).

So you want a president who effectivly uses ASL emotionally rather then one who didn't grow up signing so seems 'stiff' and unemotional? You want someone who will let students and staff decide what should be required for graduation in any degree without being accountable to anyone except the students and staff? Well whatever.

Back