Should I live on dorms or not?

Reaction score
I want to gather the facts right before I make my final decision with college.

My VESID and I discussed out for my one semester plan. I think it's most reasonable plans I could ever have and feel more in control.

From his words, he looked at the family's income and my chances are having a free college at a community college. That and VESID would pay for the entire room and board.

I don't see any issues about that at all and it's only for one semester.

My dad thinks its an issue for living at a dorm. I'm thinking it's a better advantage where I can have more places to study instead of constantly distracted at home and trying to make things easier. Dad insisted I shouldn't because I have to pay for my own food and basic stuff of everyday things.

However, I do plan on taking work study program and be able to use the money towards food, cleaning material, school supplies, and home materials. I really do not see any problem in this.

Also, it's only 20 to 40 minutes away from home. This would save the trouble for bus fares everyday and more money, right?

Live in the dorm. It's part of the college experience. You won't regret the decision. Enjoy! :D

BTW, my son is graduating from HS this year. I want him to live in the dorm. Birds must fly out of the nest sometime. :cool2:

live dorm would be fun experience however, I have CON for these...

no private shower, not enough quite place to study, limited cook your own food

Girls dorms have private showers usually-- mine did. There are also study carrells. Food, well, I guess there's meal plan. I ate a lot of pizza. lol

Live in the dorm. It's part of the college experience. You won't regret the decision. Enjoy! :D

BTW, my son is graduating from HS this year. I want him to live in the dorm. Birds must fly out of the nest sometime. :cool2:

Glad to see a parent isn't holding their kid to miss out. :) I think I will.

Actually, there are library place to study and that's always been my favorite place. Cooking my own food isn't much of a problem, I don't overdo cooking like birthday cake or more serious.

Girls dorms have private showers usually-- mine did. There are also study carrells. Food, well, I guess there's meal plan. I ate a lot of pizza. lol

LOL, I think you went to an all girl floor dorm, even if it's co-ed dorm building.

Thankfully, shower privacy works out well. I figured how that may work out.

Didn't they have other places for you to buy different food on the college ground? I wouldn't want to stomach pizza every single day or so much.

Dorm would be interesting for you in the first year. It's a good experience for you to see the differeance. If you want to save your money wisely, then stay home. One drawback is that you will have to worry about the snow on the roads. It's up to you.

I want to gather the facts right before I make my final decision with college.

My VESID and I discussed out for my one semester plan. I think it's most reasonable plans I could ever have and feel more in control.

From his words, he looked at the family's income and my chances are having a free college at a community college. That and VESID would pay for the entire room and board.

I don't see any issues about that at all and it's only for one semester.

My dad thinks its an issue for living at a dorm. I'm thinking it's a better advantage where I can have more places to study instead of constantly distracted at home and trying to make things easier. Dad insisted I shouldn't because I have to pay for my own food and basic stuff of everyday things.

However, I do plan on taking work study program and be able to use the money towards food, cleaning material, school supplies, and home materials. I really do not see any problem in this.

Also, it's only 20 to 40 minutes away from home. This would save the trouble for bus fares everyday and more money, right?

Do what you want. You're old enough to make a legal decision for yourself.

Think it thru. Analyze with all options at hand. Do some number crunching on finance. Then make a prudent decision. Simple as that.

Have you visited that college? You really need to visit the college before you decide to go there. The admissions people can give you a tour and answer any questions.

You need to be aware that many college require freshmen to live in dorms on campus for the first year. If that's the case, you won't have a choice to make.

Have you visited that college? You really need to visit the college before you decide to go there. The admissions people can give you a tour and answer any questions.

You need to be aware that many college require freshmen to live in dorms on campus for the first year. If that's the case, you won't have a choice to make.

Isn't that usually for those that lives far away from home and unable to commute back and forth?

Yes. The urban universities usually allow students to live off campus. It definitely changes the whole college experience. Students in commuter schools tend to be less involved on campus.

Dorm would be interesting for you in the first year. It's a good experience for you to see the differeance. If you want to save your money wisely, then stay home. One drawback is that you will have to worry about the snow on the roads. It's up to you.

I'm not worried about spending anything for the dorm. My VESID is paying for the entire thing. So, basically, I want to live on dorms. I have visited there a couple of times and haven't gotten to see the dorms yet. I have friends that are living there and mentioned good things living there.

I already know what prices are like to buying food and be able to do fine on my own.

Do what you want. You're old enough to make a legal decision for yourself.

Think it thru. Analyze with all options at hand. Do some number crunching on finance. Then make a prudent decision. Simple as that.

Very true with legal ages and I am free to make my own choices.

I already did and it seems like affordable prices and I already know my scholarships chances. I would be able to get in for free. :)

Yes, I have visited a couple of times.

Hm, they're not actually required unless you're over two hours away from the college and then, they will require you to live on campus. I only live away about 20 to 40 minutes away. So, basically, I want to live on campus.

yeah most girls dorms have private showers. i had blast times with friends staying up all night. I ate pizza or chinese foods too many times! I loved my college life. I lived in dorms for 5 yrs and lived off campus for two years.

Do it. I commuted to college and I can tell you that it is not the same experience as living on campus. You don't bond with other students like you do when you live on campus(even with the group meetings) and for that reason I wish I had done so. I would try it for a semester and see if you like it.

I think it would be an invaluable experience.

Duh...

There are many quiet places that we can find for studying and doing homework on the campus. So what about cooking food? I know a few students that cook their own foods in their room and one of them was my dorm roommate.

Many dorms have private show stalls for female students so your points do not add up well.

IMHO, staying in a dorm for two or three years are better for many good reasons - building up your social skills, enjoying and experiencing your new college life, making new friends, PARTYING and more. :)

Back