Should Big Bird be Killed OFF???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're being all civilized. I'm so proud lol

Yes, I live in a state that gets more federal $funding than we pay, some towns are going to get more of it than others. No doubt there would be more oversight, but I know I'd be in a world of hurt if SC had to raise it's own revenues to offset the cuts.

You know a lot more about TV than I do! No cable at the moment, but for a long time all I watched is um The Ultimate Fighter lol, Family Guy, Fringe for a bit, and some HBO series. I pay no attention to the TV. But all of that sounds good to me.

Sorry, but I have to tell you that you have fallen for a very common mis-conception. Where do you think that Washington gets the revenue that is given to states? Washington TAKES money from the local and state in the form of all kinds of taxes. Now stop and think that if WASHINGTON would BYOB and let the local and state manage their own affairs then the local and state would not need any revenue from Washington. If the local and state population did not have to pay those taxes to Washington but the local and/or state collected them then everyone would benefit. That would be because they (the local and state) would manage their money and cut waste. When a FEDERAL program, such as Medicare or Medicaid, is spoken about you have to remember that the local and state do not control every aspect of the funds. Washington keeps a strangle hold on the local and state by declaring that it is the Washington way or the highway.

The USA Government has been given the power to tax and spend. But my point has always been that the Constitution spells out the responsibilities of the USA Government and, IMO, the USA government had way overstepped its boundaries of Constitutional responsibilities.

Yes, I live in a state that gets more federal $funding than we pay, some towns are going to get more of it than others. No doubt there would be more oversight, but I know I'd be in a world of hurt if SC had to raise it's own revenues to offset the cuts.

You know a lot more about TV than I do! No cable at the moment, but for a long time all I watched is um The Ultimate Fighter lol, Family Guy, Fringe for a bit, and some HBO series. I pay no attention to the TV. But all of that sounds good to me.

They do, but that is because South Carolina is a big Military state and a big retirement state. Those things wouldn't change. In fact with the closing of loopholes I think SC and it's low cost of living would thrive.

In that case, hosting lavish parties, personal travel, personal services, pork barrel legislation, BIG retirement pensions, etc. should be subject to cuts too!
Kid's want to do what the older kids are doing, I wonder if Sesame Street ever aired the following vid :hmm:

[yt]YHROHJlU_Ng[/yt]

Where is Closed Captioned or subtitled on this program? You seem to forget we are deaf or Deaf when we want to know what they are saying on Closed Captioned. You should not post it if there is no closed captioned in the first place. Geeze. :roll:

They do, but that is because South Carolina is a big Military state and a big retirement state. Those things wouldn't change. In fact with the closing of loopholes I think SC and it's low cost of living would thrive.

and South Carolina gets $$$$$ from tourists too.

South Carolina is so beautiful state and they have nice beaches.

Not positive, but I think you might be thinking of NC. My dad was military, air traffic controller, got out early to work for the FAA. He was thinking about retiring in NC becauseof the tax breaks government retirees get. Not sure if he's still planning on that. He just retired early from the FAA to go work with a contractor that works for the FAA and moved to Fort Worth. I have no idea what his plans are now. But anyway, Ive been here for 6 years but haven't traveled around SC much at all. I have no idea how the rest of the state is but Myrtle Beach is a tourist town and I swear half the town goes on unemployment every winter, so there's a huge drag on resources around here.

We're being all civilized. I'm so proud lol

Yup, this thread is very civil so that's good to see.

Sorry, but I have to tell you that you have fallen for a very common mis-conception. Where do you think that Washington gets the revenue that is given to states? Washington TAKES money from the local and state in the form of all kinds of taxes. Now stop and think that if WASHINGTON would BYOB and let the local and state manage their own affairs then the local and state would not need any revenue from Washington. If the local and state population did not have to pay those taxes to Washington but the local and/or state collected them then everyone would benefit. That would be because they (the local and state) would manage their money and cut waste. When a FEDERAL program, such as Medicare or Medicaid, is spoken about you have to remember that the local and state do not control every aspect of the funds. Washington keeps a strangle hold on the local and state by declaring that it is the Washington way or the highway.

The USA Government has been given the power to tax and spend. But my point has always been that the Constitution spells out the responsibilities of the USA Government and, IMO, the USA government had way overstepped its boundaries of Constitutional responsibilities.

Well, I don't agree with you, but I respect your opinion without getting argue.

It is hard for people to understand about relation between state and federal.

Where is Closed Captioned or subtitled on this program? You seem to forget we are deaf or Deaf when we want to know what they are saying on Closed Captioned. You should not post it if there is no closed captioned in the first place. Geeze. :roll:

Open it in youtube.

Excuse me, Youtube is notorious for not having captions available for most vids, as are some posted here also. Per your request, lyrics were inserted. :wave:

Not positive, but I think you might be thinking of NC. My dad was military, air traffic controller, got out early to work for the FAA. He was thinking about retiring in NC becauseof the tax breaks government retirees get. Not sure if he's still planning on that. He just retired early from the FAA to go work with a contractor that works for the FAA and moved to Fort Worth. I have no idea what his plans are now. But anyway, Ive been here for 6 years but haven't traveled around SC much at all. I have no idea how the rest of the state is but Myrtle Beach is a tourist town and I swear half the town goes on unemployment every winter, so there's a huge drag on resources around here.

I have been there...lol. Hilton Head too. (I go every April). But, yeah SC has several bases. 6 or 7 I think (a lot for a small state) When you fly into Columbia you can't walk 10 feet without bumping into someone in Uniform. And even as pricey as Myrtle Beach and Hliton Head get, they are still cheaper than resort areas in a lot of states. Resort towns are tough economies though, even in good times.

incorrect. the federal government is collecting -

The-Numbers-Jan-2012-Fig1_1.gif

I have been there...lol. Hilton Head too. (I go every April). But, yeah SC has several bases. 6 or 7 I think (a lot for a small state) When you fly into Columbia you can't walk 10 feet without bumping into someone in Uniform. And even as pricey as Myrtle Beach and Hliton Head get, they are still cheaper than resort areas in a lot of states. Resort towns are tough economies though, even in good times.

Golfing I suppose :D

Of course spending on Sesame Street will have to be cut, since the cookie monster in chief keeps spending all the money on cookies for himself. Just tell him to stop, or, fire him and let someone else control the money. Duh.

Federal income tax, that's where they get it. If the state does not collect enough taxes via their own income taxe, sales taxes property taxes etc to fund everthing they get assistance for the fed goverment, which is paid with the federal income taxes that they collected. Maybe Im suffering from common misconception, but I don't think so.

Federal income tax, that's where they get it. If the state does not collect enough taxes via their own income taxe, sales taxes property taxes etc to fund everthing they get assistance for the fed goverment, which is paid with the federal income taxes that they collected. Maybe Im suffering from common misconception, but I don't think so.

correct. when a state does not meet a sufficient amount to fund its own programs, then they get federal assistance and of course.... they'll have to meet federal standard in order to receive federal funding. if a state does not like it, it's simple - a state does not have to take federal funding and they'll have to figure out how to come up with $$$ on its own.

that's why it would be actually wonderful if a state has a very profitable natural resource to fund on its own 100% without federal assistance... just like Kuwait. its government programs is 100% funded by oil profits and everything is nearly free to its citizens - schools, colleges, health cares, etc. and get this.... even its own citizens are receiving a share of profit too! each citizen is given a choice to live - a property of land or a house.

so a poor state is a burden for all of us. if we're going to do what rolling proposes... then that would means probably over 30 states would bankrupt and cease to exist simply because they could not afford to run on its own. I wouldn't be surprised if we reverted back to "13 Colonies" :lol:

What rolling proposes is inequality. federal government ensures equal opportunity. flawed yes but it's the best we've got for now. I'd like it if federal income tax is abolished :lol:

correct. when a state does not meet a sufficient amount to fund its own programs, then they get federal assistance and of course.... they'll have to meet federal standard in order to receive federal funding. if a state does not like it, it's simple - a state does not have to take federal funding and they'll have to figure out how to come up with $$$ on its own.

that's why it would be actually wonderful if a state has a very profitable natural resource to fund on its own 100% without federal assistance... just like Kuwait. its government programs is 100% funded by oil profits and everything is nearly free to its citizens - schools, colleges, health cares, etc. and get this.... even its own citizens are receiving a share of profit too! each citizen is given a choice to live - a property of land or a house.

so a poor state is a burden for all of us. if we're going to do what rolling proposes... then that would means probably over 30 states would bankrupt and cease to exist simply because they could not afford to run on its own. I wouldn't be surprised if we reverted back to "13 Colonies" :lol:

What rolling proposes is inequality. federal government ensures equal opportunity. flawed yes but it's the best we've got for now. I'd like it if federal income tax is abolished :lol:

Technically, States can not go bankrupt or cease to exist....but they can go broke. (Which I think is probably what you meant anyway). And if they could go bankrupt that wouldn't be the end of the world (just the end of a lot of pensions). But states would learn to cope. For example, the east coast and Gulf states would raise resort fees. The reduction would be quite small as a %. Individuals would still be paying federal taxes for highways and the military and things like that.

Technically, States can not go bankrupt or cease to exist....but they can go broke. (Which I think is probably what you meant anyway).
technically? of course not.... :lol: technically - they can't go bankrupt cuz of federal assistance. but you missed the big keyword - "if we're going to do what rolling proposes....."

business goes broke, business ceases to exist. that's a fact of life and economics.

And if they could go bankrupt that wouldn't be the end of the world (just the end of a lot of pensions). But states would learn to cope. For example, the east coast and Gulf states would raise resort fees. The reduction would be quite small as a %. Individuals would still be paying federal taxes for highways and the military and things like that.
I wouldn't worry about east/west coast and Gulf states. It's the midwest states that are problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back