From PBS Ch.9

Attachments

• Big_Bird.jpg
    Big_Bird.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 13
  • No_One_Likes_You.jpg
    No_One_Likes_You.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
Sure, I'll agree with you. While the funding of the military is massive (as much as we all wish they was none), the Constitution speaks directly that it is the governments responsibility to find the military.
actually that's incorrect.

there's nothing in Constitution that requires the government to fund the military but it did say that only Congress has the authority to fund the military or not and the President has the authority to command military. Congress is the only one who controls the federal funding.

However, you can not find one word in the Constitution that requires the government to fund education...that is a local and state requirement. I'll agree again that the government has taken much control over education but that action, IMO, is UN-constitutional.
again - incorrect.... well half-incorrect.

each state is free to do whatever they want with their own education program but if they want $$$ from federal government, they'll need to meet its standard. The federal government does not control state schools.

this is precisely why "your proposal" about letting locals control their own matters fail. the locals simply cannot afford it.

Sure, I'll agree with you. While the funding of the military is massive (as much as we all wish they was none), the Constitution speaks directly that it is the governments responsibility to find the military. However, you can not find one word in the Constitution that requires the government to fund education...that is a local and state requirement. I'll agree again that the government has taken much control over education but that action, IMO, is UN-constitutional.

It isn't my wish to have zero military in our country and I believe that military does have significant benefits to our economy and society, however their funds are too overburden and we need to narrow the funds that are very essential to our country, especially ability to defend our country and possibly our interest.

The constitution is very old written and didn't mention about education. The constitution isn't perfect to provide a basic needs for all populations. The education is required to join the military, especially high school degree or some college credits for GED. Despite about constitution, I consider education as most essential to our country and without education, we will not functional. I don't know about your point with government control of education. Above, Jiro made a good point about most states want funds from federal to fund the education so they required to meet the federal standard to ensure the quality of education. Without federal standard, the quality of education will be different, especially much poorer in southern states but more effective in northern states (like New Jersey, New York) so the standard put both of regions at closer gap.

You should blame on state of Texas to accept the federal funds to fund the education and it was state government who made choice to get funds from federal. If you think that control of education is unconstitutional so could you care to mention about what is based on ground? I know it is your opinion but just want curious.

actually that's incorrect.

there's nothing in Constitution that requires the government to fund the military but it did say that only Congress has the authority to fund the military or not and the President has the authority to command military. Congress is the only one who controls the federal funding.

again - incorrect.... well half-incorrect.

each state is free to do whatever they want with their own education program but if they want $$$ from federal government, they'll need to meet its standard. The federal government does not control state schools.

this is precisely why "your proposal" about letting locals control their own matters fail. the locals simply cannot afford it.

If you want fully controlled by local so be prepared for high, expensive taxes.

Exactly, which is exactly what will happen if federal funding is slashed like some people are proposing. States will have to offset the cuts by increasing state income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes etc, renters will see leases go up, landlords passing on the the increase to the renters.

I hate to think about what would happen to communities that already get a lot of federal funding because the populance are poor and already don't have enough income to tax and support public systems. Which is why they get the funding in the first place. The education in those areas would tank.
but at least if they didnt kill Big Bird maybe kids could learn their ABCs.

It's kind of mind boggling actually. How to reduce the deficit.......give the military like 2 billion more than they asked for......and cut PBS. That ought to make dent o_0 Im going to have to look it up elsewhere to verify but I've seen that PBS funding is like. 01% of the budget. That sounds almost like saving pocket lint to save money.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to cut support of the kids stuff. I don't think there is much value in Sesame Street anymore,but there is a little. That is more than the really poor kids would get at home normally. There are faint rumblings that Disney might be interested in taking on PBS. That would be wonderful if it happened.

I kinda miss how Sesame Street was when it started. Just doesn't feel as educational or centered on values as it did. And the old Electric Company. I mean Morgan Freeman as EZ Reader! I'm surprised he hasn't bought rights to all the old stuff to destroy evidence of that 'fro.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe they'd scratch that type of programming, especially for as little as it costs them. I think they should be looking at cutting their own pension plan and get on a structure more like what most Americans are on. :slap:

Cutting their pensions and salary, although it would be a small dent, would be a great start. In fact, I think we will hear something about that in the near future.

Don't fool yourself. This is not necessary true because local control over every dollar spent will cut waste. Whenever the government controls the dollars spent there will always be much waste because there is a lack of oversight. Locally, the people giving the dollars are also the same people watching those dollars to make sure they are not wasted. Therefore, those receiving the dollars know they will be held accountable and someone is always looking over their shoulder. With the government there is a serious lack of accountability. So local beats Washington everytime.

Exactly, which is exactly what will happen if federal funding is slashed like some people are proposing. States will have to offset the cuts by increasing state income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes etc, renters will see leases go up, landlords passing on the the increase to the renters.

I hate to think about what would happen to communities that already get a lot of federal funding because the populance are poor and already don't have enough income to tax and support public systems. Which is why they get the funding in the first place. The education in those areas would tank.
but at least if they didnt kill Big Bird maybe kids could learn their ABCs.

Pretty sure when most refer to "local" they mean "state". Theoretically, the lack of federal red tape would mean more money getting into the hands of the poor. The federal government is a pretty expensive middle man.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to cut support of the kids stuff. I don't think there is much value in Sesame Street anymore,but there is a little. That is more than the really poor kids would get at home normally. There are faint rumblings that Disney might be interested in taking on PBS. That would be wonderful if it happened.

Cutting their pensions and salary, although it would be a small dent, would be a great start. In fact, I think we will hear something about that in the near future.

Especially since it's such a small part of the budget, that was what he thought of to say as way to decrease the deficit was......like trying to spit on a fire to make it go out? That would be great! I remember watching sesame street, but my kids were never interested. Disney could bring some fresh new content, and not everyone can afford cable.

Totally with you guys on their salaries and pensions.......Id like their insurance :)

Especially since it's such a small part of the budget, that was what he thought of to say as way to decrease the deficit was......like trying to spit on a fire to make it go out? That would be great! I remember watching sesame street, but my kids were never interested. Disney could bring some fresh new content, and not everyone can afford cable.

Totally with you guys on their salaries and pensions.......Id like their insurance :)

The beauty with Disney is there connection with ABC. IMO anyway.......They could easily fund the weekday programming with weekend college sports. Several of the smaller conferences would love to have an over the air partner. Then with the ESPN connection (also in the Disney family) the would have a great vehicle for kids exercise programming as well as educational programming.

Don't fool yourself. This is not necessary true because local control over every dollar spent will cut waste. Whenever the government controls the dollars spent there will always be much waste because there is a lack of oversight. Locally, the people giving the dollars are also the same people watching those dollars to make sure they are not wasted. Therefore, those receiving the dollars know they will be held accountable and someone is always looking over their shoulder. With the government there is a serious lack of accountability. So local beats Washington everytime.

Excuse me - there is no one fool me.

You need make more specific when mention the government - federal, state or city/county (local). If you say local so I assume city/county.

If people in local doesn't want taxes so it isn't much possible for local to find a effective programs without receive any revenues. Alabama is recipient state and they receive a lot of funds from federal, so it is state choice (Alabama government) to accept federal funds to support themselves. They don't have much problem to meet the federal standard but in my thinking, it is amazing about how much of populations are anti-government, so the voters decided to elect the leaders that accept federal funds to support the state. Without federal support, our state will be much poorer and we will not see any change to offset the spending cut. I'm not happy with reside in Alabama and I don't mind to pay fair share of taxes to fund the programs that support the kids to obtain an education.

The wasteful spending can be fixable if we have politicians who are common sense to solve the budget problem and close the portion that contain a lot of flaws that leading to overburden (wasteful). It does INCLUDE federal and state. See #23 - it is state make choice to accept the federal funds and they have rights to refuse, but all of them choses to accept.

FYI, I have different belief about government spending, so you are on your own thinking and I have own thinking.

Without federal funds, PBS will be fully 100% survive and they got a lot of money from donation. Only hardest one - it will affect some local stations that affiliated with PBS but not issue if they are from big cities/metro.

Without federal funds, PBS will be fully 100% survive and they got a lot of money from donation. Only hardest one - it will affect some local stations that affiliated with PBS but not issue if they are from big cities/metro.

Oh good, thanks for letting us know. :)

- but I am not going to keep spending money on things [we have] to borrow money from China to pay for," Romney said.

In that case, hosting lavish parties, personal travel, personal services, pork barrel legislation, BIG retirement pensions, etc. should be subject to cuts too!
Kid's want to do what the older kids are doing, I wonder if Sesame Street ever aired the following vid :hmm:

[yt]YHROHJlU_Ng[/yt]

Katy Perry (with Elmo) - Hot and Cold Lyrics

[Elmo] du du du ru ru ru (playing by himself)

[Katy Perry ] Hi, Elmo

[Elmo] Oh, oh. (surprised) Hi, Miss Katy

[Katy Perry ] Are you ready to play dress up?

[Elmo] Oh, dress up? Source: LYBIO.net

[Katy Perry ] You said you wanted to play dress up.

[Elmo] (quiet)

[Katy Perry ] Don’t you?

[Elmo] Well, ah,

[Katy Perry ] Come on, Elmo! Don’t you wanna play?

[Elmo] (runs away)

[Katy Perry ] Elmo!

[Katy Perry Song - Hot And Cold - Verse One] You wanna play, so I wore dress up clothes Then you ran away, left me here in this pose. How am I suppose to play with you? Source: LYBIO.net

[Chorus - Katy Perry] You’re up and your down You’re running around You’re fast and your slow You’re stop and your go You’re hot and your cold You’re yes than your no You’re in and your out I’m starting to doubt You don’t really wanna play, no You just really wanna go, go Source: LYBIO.net

[Katy Perry Song - Hot And Cold - Verse Two] We used to be just like twins, so in sync Used to laugh while we played, now you just runaway Didn’t know, you were gonna change

On LYBIO.net you can find - The Largest community of text-script-video blogging service.

[Chorus - Elmo] Elmo’s up, Elmo’s down Elmo’s running around

[Chorus - Katy Perry] You’re fast and you’re slow You’re stop and you’re go Source: LYBIO.net

[Chorus - Elmo] He’s hot and he’s cold

[Chorus - Katy Perry] You’re yes than you’re no

[Chorus - Elmo] He’s in and he’s out

[Chorus - Katy Perry] I’m starting to doubt

[Break - Katy Perry] Someone stop the monster Gonna chase him all over Gonna catch him I wonder He’s to quick for meee Source: LYBIO.net

[Elmo] Ha, ha, Source: LYBIO.net

[Chorus - Katy Perry] You don’t really wanna play, no You just really wanna go, go

[Chorus - Elmo] Elmo’s up, Elmo’s down Elmo’s running around

[Chorus - Katy Perry] You’re fast and you’re slow You’re stop and you’re go

[Katy Perry] Elmo! Do you wanna play? Source: LYBIO.net

[Elmo] Elmo is playing, Miss Katy. Elmo is playing tag. Tag, your it, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

[Katy Perry] Not again.

Last edited:

Pretty sure when most refer to "local" they mean "state". Theoretically, the lack of federal red tape would mean more money getting into the hands of the poor. The federal government is a pretty expensive middle man.
Yes, I live in a state that gets more federal $funding than we pay, some towns are going to get more of it than others. No doubt there would be more oversight, but I know I'd be in a world of hurt if SC had to raise it's own revenues to offset the cuts.
The beauty with Disney is there connection with ABC. IMO anyway.......They could easily und the weekday programming with weekend college sports. Several of the smaller conferences would love to have an over the air partner. Then with the ESPN connection (also in the Disney family) the would have a great vehicle for kids exercise programming as well as educational programming.

You know a lot more about TV than I do! No cable at the moment, but for a long time all I watched is um The Ultimate Fighter lol, Family Guy, Fringe for a bit, and some HBO series. I pay no attention to the TV. But all of that sounds good to me.

still haven't answered the question about how will locals get sufficient funding for their own programs.

that's why locals get federal funding. and also... looking at Medicare/Medicaid fraud.... apparently the locals aren't still doing their jobs to monitor their own backyards

still haven't answered the question about how will locals get sufficient funding for their own programs.

that's why locals get federal funding.

Paid Advertisements, Paid Advertisements.

that would be nice if PBS gets acquired by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back