Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

I hope your son is at least wearing hearing aids?

HHIssues, after reading many of your posts, it has made me increasingly curious - could it be that you are an audiologist peddling for hearing aids? Just wondering...because you don't say much about yourself. :hmm:

That's like the upteempth time I've seen you "suggest" something like that in that manner. It's not your place. You are not our mother or father.
But it's okay for some of you to tell some of the parents of deaf children with a CI that they should learn ASL?

HHIssues, after reading many of your posts, it has made me increasingly curious - could it be that you are an audiologist peddling for hearing aids? Just wondering...because you don't say much about yourself. :hmm:
Ha no. Actually I was born with a profound hearing loss in both ears. Wore hearing aids all my life. And got a CI 2 1/2 years ago.

Hi there HHIssues ! Hey, no offense, but just as I think it's inappropriate for people to say "I hope your son is at least using ASL" to a person whose situation they don't know, I also think it's not for anyone else to make a statement that indicates certainty around using HAs or CIs. I don'y think any of us can presume to know what's best for a child, unless he or she is our own child.
Well, I just thought I'd speak from my "own personal deaf experience" whereas some of the deaf in AD insisted that their "personal deaf experiences" should also factor into the equation when conversing with parents of deaf children that has a CI in the forum.

Well, I just thought I'd speak from my "own personal deaf experience" whereas some of the deaf in AD insisted that their "personal deaf experiences" should also factor into the equation when conversing with parents of deaf children that has a CI in the forum.

I get what you are saying. There's a difference in saying, 'hey, you know, HAs really worked for me ... you might want to consider' vs. 'I hope your son is at least wearing HAs', as if it would be criminal not to do so. I feel the same way when people assume that ASL MUST be employed for a deaf child to be whole. Works for me, works for many, doesn't work for some. Same with CIs.

Eh, that's just plain mean and contentious. Sort of like suggesting that those who advocate for ASL are all teachers at deaf schools or in ASL programs trawling for new customers/students. Why is advocating for one option for the deaf OK, and not another?

But it's okay for some of you to tell some of the parents of deaf children with a CI that they should learn ASL?

To avoid language delays and cognitive deficits in the children. There are so many CI users who rely on ASL. It is better than taking that risk and then regret not learning later after it has been too late.

Thanks HHI for sharing your personal experiences. I have know HHI from other forums and he has no agenda other than sharing and providing information he has learned with others.

Rick

Many of us never said children shouldn't get CIs, HAs, or be exposed to spoken language but as soon as we express our beliefs that ASL should be included, we get called anti- CI/HAs?

what IS WRONG with ASL as part of the toolbox to decrease the risks of language delays or deficits in children??? Who wants children to be put at those kinds of risks should the oral-only method doesn't work later on? Why take that gamble in wasting years of language development? It has happened to so many of us and still happens. God forbid should a hearing child have limited access to language.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Many of us never said children shouldn't get CIs, HAs, or be exposed to spoken language but as soon as we express our beliefs that ASL should be included, we get called anti- CI/HAs?

what IS WRONG with ASL as part of the toolbox to decrease the risks of language delays or deficits in children??? Who wants children to be put at those kinds of risks should the oral-only method doesn't work later on? Why take that gamble in wasting years of language development? It has happened to so many of us and still happens. God forbid should a hearing child have limited access to language.

Being pro-ASL is not anti-CI, being pro-CI is not anti-ASL. Ive not seen any anti-ASL commentary on this forum. I've seen extensive anti-CI commentary here. It isn't possible to have a discussion mentioning a CI without an anti-CI comment or an out of context exhortation that ASL is better, more important, more natural. ASL and CIs are not at odds, mutually exclusive, in conflict. One is a language, one is a tool to use in accessing sound.

Wirelessly posted

Being pro-ASL is not anti-CI, being pro-CI is not anti-ASL. Ive not seen any anti-ASL commentary on this forum. I've seen extensive anti-CI commentary here. It isn't possible to have a discussion mentioning a CI without an anti-CI comment or an out of context exhortation that ASL is better, more important, more natural. ASL and CIs are not at odds, mutually exclusive, in conflict. One is a language, one is a tool to use in accessing sound.

Hmmm. I consider ASL a tool as well. An amazingly useful one. I cannot imagine not using it.
Okay, folk, start screaming at me.

Eh, that's just plain mean and contentious. Sort of like suggesting that those who advocate for ASL are all teachers at deaf schools or in ASL programs trawling for new customers/students. Why is advocating for one option for the deaf OK, and not another?

Grendel, you took me the wrong way. I wasn't being mean and I don't think HHIssues took it that way. Note the way I responded after he gave his reply. If I was intending to be mean, I would not have replied that way. However, I apologise to you that you found it mean. I do have a sense of humour, you know, I'm not all-time serious. It helps to lighten up some.

To avoid language delays and cognitive deficits in the children. There are so many CI users who rely on ASL. It is better than taking that risk and then regret not learning later after it has been too late.

So it is ok for people to suggest ASL (or demand, or say that oral children suffer or fail) but it is not ok for a deaf person to believe hearing aids are important and suggest them?

So it is ok for people to suggest ASL (or demand, or say that oral children suffer or fail) but it is not ok for a deaf person to believe hearing aids are important and suggest them?

I'd rather have the ability to communicate than the ability to hear a mouse fart.

I don't know who may have said that HA's and CI's were not worth the time or to say they were not important. We have all said that a full tool-box approach is good and should be "offered". That full tool-box could include: HA's, CI's, speech, ASL, PSE, and whatever other avenues would benefit that child or person. A lot of us were never offered that when we really could have benefited from it and that is why we are saying it is important. We only want to avoid any heartache or stigma from any others that we ourselves have had to deal with.

Back