Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

+1

No, I'm not deaf. But, I still agree with this. Why? Because, I have had experience in the "fix me" area. Aided walking. "Lets slap braces on her and throw crutches at her and teach her to walk because her life will be better for it!" Um, no. It didn't enhance my life in any way! What it did was give me a few years of enjoyment, but that was about all. And, that's a more positive advantage then a lot of deafies had back then with hearing aids and oral only. Therapy; whether it's PT, OT, or, ST, is a drag. Been there, done that. I can completely understand how Shel feels.

The problem isn't being deaf or not having the ability to walk. It's society's viewpoint on the above, which sickens me as much as it does the deafies here.

Watch out...we will get called anti-CI! :eek3:

I support full toolbox as well. Much better than oral only. I do keep saying BSL is important to many people in my area, but that doesn't mean I don't support Deaf kid to learn spoken language equally. It just means I don't need to talk about it much as BSL because 99% of time hearing parents will go oral way anyway, so I talk about BSL more because most wouldn't think about why their Deaf kids need it. Also there audie, experts, TOD tell parents about oral way so I don't need to.

I support full toolbox as well. Much better than oral only. I do keep saying BSL is important to many people in my area, but that doesn't mean I don't support Deaf kid to learn spoken language equally. It just means I don't need to talk about it much as BSL because 99% of time hearing parents will go oral way anyway, so I talk about BSL more because most wouldn't think about why their Deaf kids need it.

:gpost:

The same goes for me. :)

I support full toolbox as well. Much better than oral only. I do keep saying BSL is important to many people in my area, but that doesn't mean I don't support Deaf kid to learn spoken language equally. It just means I don't need to talk about it much as BSL because 99% of time hearing parents will go oral way anyway, so I talk about BSL more because most wouldn't think about why their Deaf kids need it. Also there audie, experts, TOD tell parents about oral way so I don't need to.

Well said. 2+

Good point, Speedy Hawk.

That's what I see too and why I ignore other posters who complain we are advocating for ASL or the full toolbox, and we don't talk about oral-only. The parents are already well aware of it.

I agree as well.:D Good post SH!

Then you disagree with her. She was saying it is no big deal.

FJ, There you go again. I wasn't saying that language defecits were no big deal.

Yes, it is a big deal and there are many cases that children and adults have to address that with necessary therapy. I am just saying that therapy is often over-rated. In my opinion, toddlers under 2, being diagnosed with having language delay is jumping to conclusions too soon. Too much of a 'good' thing such as correctional procedures can in the end be damaging to self-esteem.

Now, I am saying this in general. It appears like from what you have described previously that you have created the best possible world for your child and your family....this is not all about you....I believe forums are meant to educate through experiences and advice addressing a broad spectrum of issues that are faced.

FJ, There you go again. I wasn't saying that language defecits were no big deal.

Yes, it is a big deal and there are many cases that children and adults have to address that with necessary therapy. I am just saying that therapy is often over-rated. In my opinion, toddlers under 2, being diagnosed with having language delay is jumping to conclusions too soon. Too much of a 'good' thing such as correctional procedures can in the end be damaging to self-esteem.

Now, I am saying this in general. It appears like from what you have described previously that you have created the best possible world for your child and your family....this is not all about you....I believe forums are meant to educate through experiences and advice addressing a broad spectrum of issues that are faced.

:gpost:

+1

No, I'm not deaf. But, I still agree with this. Why? Because, I have had experience in the "fix me" area. Aided walking. "Lets slap braces on her and throw crutches at her and teach her to walk because her life will be better for it!" Um, no. It didn't enhance my life in any way! What it did was give me a few years of enjoyment, but that was about all. And, that's a more positive advantage then a lot of deafies had back then with hearing aids and oral only. Therapy; whether it's PT, OT, or, ST, is a drag. Been there, done that. I can completely understand how Shel feels.

The problem isn't being deaf or not having the ability to walk. It's society's viewpoint on the above, which sickens me as much as it does the deafies here.

+2 I also agree with you OB. :D

This thread has gone on so long my back and eyes hurt a lot.

Lets just agree to keep it for the culturally deaf. Takes too long to teach it to anyone else and they just forget it anyway if they don't need it.

It shouldn't take this long to decide one tiny matter.

Therefore, it is a stupid question. I know I am very annoying to you. Can't help it.

Who told you that? It is a blatant lie. But I guess some people have nothing better to do with their time than back stab others.

I was making a joke about how tired and sick I am. I will gladly stay out of your threadsl. :)

Who told you that? It is a blatant lie. But I guess some people have nothing better to do with their time than back stab others.

I was making a joke about how tired and sick I am. I will gladly stay out of your threadsl. :)

Sorry no one told me. I just feel stupid And annoying at the moment. I didn't get your joke so I took it the wrong way.

When my daughter was first implanted, it was virtually non-existent for the young children who were being implanted to be learning ASL along with spoken English and now you see parents like Grendel Q and FJ who are doing it and their kids are thriving.
That's very true. The wave of Deaf Ed and culture future is going to be CI kids who are bilingal in both ASL and spoken English. I am sure the parents of kids in the 1920's/30's were told " just aid them" and they'll do fine. I'm sure they would have been amazed to see aided kids in the 1970's become bilingal in both English and ASL.
The debate really seems to be over which language should be a dhh kid's first language
I think early intervention needs to be about providing them with a full toolbox, with appropreate spoken English therapists (not just generic speech therapists or speech therapist who teach kids "survival speech) and good ASL too!

I think the tables of history should be turned. Let sign/visual language and deaf/BiBi schools be recommended for anyone who is deaf or HoH and then speech therapy and oral programs, and aid equipment suggested as secondary options - still offering the 'full toolbox' but just the other way around.

I think the tables of history should be turned. Let sign/visual language and deaf/BiBi schools be recommended for anyone who is deaf or HoH and then speech therapy and oral programs, and aid equipment suggested as secondary options - still offering the 'full toolbox' but just the other way around.

Or let the toolbox be offered without bias, and the decision around which tool or tools to use be based on the individual child's needs, abilities, and available resources.

Back