Shot By Cop

If New York decides to adopt 3 strikes, you are out policy so welcome to become most overcrowded prison after Alabama (1st) and California (2nd).

Alabama and California are competing about whichever is most overcrowded prison. :lol:

I don't think it will be an issue, right now NYS is starting to close down some prisons, and laying off some employees after several years of relaxing drug laws. It actually decreased prison population. I rather reserve prisons for hard core criminals that never learn lesson than placing somebody who just mind their own business and doing dope.

If New York decides to adopt 3 strikes, you are out policy so welcome to become most overcrowded prison after Alabama (1st) and California (2nd).

Alabama and California are competing about whichever is most overcrowded prison. :lol:

I don't think it will be an issue, right now NYS is starting to close down some prisons, and laying off some employees after several years of relaxing drug laws. It actually decreased prison population. I rather reserve prisons for hard core criminals that never learn lesson than placing somebody who just mind their own business and doing dope.

Oh I see, if you smoke a weed in my state, it is misdemeanor in book but the prosecutor or judge could change to felony so send you to AL Department of Corrections to experience notorious, overcrowded state prison with hundreds of metal bunkbeds at very closer to others, so you may or may not get a pillow and sheet, even worse, you could have no bed at all.

I always thought the movie “Escape from New York” was a good idea, send criminals over to a large island that has no way off and let them run it the way they want.

Oh really?

Oh I see, if you smoke a weed in my state, it is misdemeanor in book but the prosecutor or judge could change to felony so send you to AL Department of Corrections to experience notorious, overcrowded state prison with hundreds of metal bunkbeds at very closer to others, so you may or may not get a pillow and sheet, even worse, you could have no bed at all.

See quote in the news,

He was on parole for first-degree robbery and had an "extensive" arrest history that includes robbery, assault, and promoting prison contraband, said police in Nassau County.

Extensive arrest history? It means he had done more than 3 times already and is labeled as career criminals. Career criminals should be in jail til they gets too old to do any criminal activities.

again.. this thread is not about a felon. it's about a cop killing a civilian. any comment about it?

I've been through the training and have a lot of highschool friends who are retired or nearing retirement from the police force...

Their #1 rule is...if a gun is pointed at you, you cover your ass!
actually no - if a gun is pointed at you, you better not spray and hope... which is what cops did in this case and Empire State Building.

Yes, a civilian was killed "accidently" but as an officer, are you supposed to just take a bullet because a criminal had a hostage?
simple - seek different profession. what kind of person would shoot at a hostage? clearly unfit for this job and should never get a police/security job ever again.

You don't turn, run, screaming like a girl or you get a cap in your hind end. The police officer was doing what he was trained to do, accidents like this happen more often than you think, just because this was on/near campus its making news....because of all the HYPE from all the other college/school shootings....MEDIA ATTENTION GRABBERS !
the thought of cop having a bare minimum training and high-capacity magazine is harrowing.

Here is a question, if that scumbag as we know called Mr. Smith still in prison, would that same poor cop show up to save that exact same student, and end up shooting her head is going to happen?

again.. this thread is not about a felon. it's about a cop killing a civilian. any comment about it?

What I am saying is that it appears that State had failed to rehabilitate this scumbag, knowing that the chance of him re-commit another crime is so high. Why they release them in the first place? This scumbag had long history with law.

Here is a question, if that scumbag as we know called Mr. Smith still in prison, would that same poor cop show up to save that exact same student, and end up shooting her head is going to happen?

that's not what happened in here. let's stick with facts.

FACT: a cop sprayed 8 bullets.
FACT: a cop killed an innocent civilian
FACT: a cop is clearly unfit for the job. what kind of person shoots a hostage??? ?????? I would never do it even if a coward is shooting at me behind a hostage. I rather take a bullet than to kill an innocent life.

that same "poor cop" would still shoot an innocent person anyway in any different scenario. clearly unfit for duty. I have absolutely no idea why would you condone his action. it seems to me that the officer is a scaredy cat and when he gets scared, he sprays and doesn't care about the consequence.

What I am saying is that it appears that State had failed to rehabilitate this scumbag, knowing that the chance of him re-commit another crime is so high. Why they release them in the first place? This scumbag had long history with law.

:topic:

I've repeatedly asked you kindly to stay on topic. can you do that? you are more than welcome enough to create a new thread about scumbag but I remind you again - this thread is about a cop killing an innocent victim.

it doesn't matter if it's a seasoned scumbag or a first-timer scumbag. the result would be same regardless of scumbag's history.

Cause and effect have relationship, so I have not gone off topic.

:topic:

I've repeatedly asked you kindly to stay on topic. can you do that? you are more than welcome enough to create a new thread about scumbag but I remind you again - this thread is about a cop killing an innocent victim.

it doesn't matter if it's a seasoned scumbag or a first-timer scumbag. the result would be same regardless of scumbag's history.

Cause and effect have relationship, so I have not gone off topic.

that's the problem.

cause = ANY ONE (regardless of one's criminal history) pointing a gun at this cop
effect = this cop killed a hostage

and you have no problem with cop's decision to shoot at the hostage? I guess you'll have no problem with this officer responding to your home invasion call.

My shotgun will take care of it.

Don't you realize that the decision here is really pretty much split second to decide whether to shoot or not. If cop didn't shoot and the hostage taker decided to shoot the victim anyway, then whose fault is it?

Think about this, this scumbag is a repeat offender. This person KNEW he is fixing up to spend rest of his life in jail, so what he got to lose in situation like this?

My whole point is, does this cop deserve all the blame, so that state government gets immunity? I don't think that is right.

If this was scumbag's first time committing such crime, then that's whole different story.

that's the problem.

cause = ANY ONE (regardless of one's criminal history) pointing a gun at this cop

and you have no problem with cop's decision to shoot at the hostage? I guess you'll have no problem with this officer responding to your home invasion call.

that's not an issue in here. if he took you by surprise and held you hostage... would you trust your life with that same cop? God help you.

Don't you realize that the decision here is really pretty much split second to decide whether to shoot or not. If cop didn't shoot and the hostage taker decided to shoot the victim anyway, then whose fault is it?

Think about this, this scumbag is a repeat offender. This person KNEW he is fixing up to spend rest of his life in jail, so what he got to lose in situation like this?
all it takes is one bad split decision to screw the pooch and a cop just made one... therefore he has to pay for it. this is not a first time that a cop has gone to jail or lose job over one bad split decision.

if a scumbag shot her... then he will have to answer for it but in this case... a cop killed her so he will have to answer for it.

My whole point is, does this cop deserve all the blame, so that state government gets immunity? I don't think that is right.
what?

If this was scumbag's first time committing such crime, then that's whole different story.
wrong. wrong. wrong on all counts. there's no difference at all. the result is SAME regardless of criminal's history. what part of that do you not understand?

It could possibly have been the idiot's only time getting caught...but I pretty much agree with this post.

I'm probably a bit biased as I was planning on going into law enforcement...

First off, it is terrible that for the victim...I cannot imagine even imagine the horrors that this has caused. Now people are going to want to put more reigne and investigations into officer involved shootings.

However, I remember during some of our training we were going through was that we were to try and remain calm in situations. Naturally, as humans...we cannot actually do this all the time.

Officers are required to qualify often at a shoot range at targets. What sucks, is when real life is applied to this...

As mentioned above, it is split second reaction. No matter how qualified of a shot you are, may miss their required target by mere inches.

This is just a terrible situation itself.

ok, here is an update I copy/paste here, tell me whats wrong here ( Highlighted )
NEW YORK (AP) — The college student was being held in a headlock by a masked intruder with a loaded gun to her head, police said. Then the gunman took aim at an officer.
A moment later both Hofstra University junior Andrea Rebello and the intruder were dead — killed after a split-second decision that is perhaps the most harrowing in law enforcement: when to pull the trigger.
"The big question is, how do you know, when someone's pointing a gun at you, whether you should keep talking to them, or shoot?" said Michele Galietta, a professor of psychology at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice who helps train police officers. "That's what makes the job of an officer amazingly difficult."
She spoke Sunday as Hofstra University students honored Rebello, a popular 21-year-old public relations major, by wearing white ribbons at their graduation ceremony.
Rebello's funeral is scheduled for Wednesday in Sleepy Hollow, north of New York City.
The news that she died from a police bullet came as "a second shock" for the already devastated family, said Henry Santos, Rebello's godfather.
Her life ended in the seconds that forced the veteran police officer to make a fatal decision, but the questions surrounding the student's death are just beginning, along with an internal investigation by the Nassau County Police Department.
Rebello and the intruder, Dalton Smith, died early Friday when the officer fired eight shots, hitting him seven times and her once in the head, according to county homicide squad Lt. John Azzata.
With a gun pointed at her, Smith "kept saying, 'I'm going to kill her,' and then he pointed the gun at the police officer," according to Azzata.
The officer acted quickly, saying later that he believed his and Rebello's lives were in danger, according to authorities.
No doubt, he was acting to try to save lives — his own and that of the young woman, Galietta said.
"What we're asking the cop to anticipate is, 'What is going on in the suspect's mind at the moment?'" she said. "We're always trying to de-escalate, to contain a situation, but the issue of safety comes in first, and that's the evaluation the officer has to make."
Eugene O'Donnell, a former New York City police officer and professor of law and police studies at John Jay College, said the crucial issue may be whether or not police had deemed it a hostage situation. If so, he said, there are protocols police follow to buy time, slow down, isolate and assess.
But O'Donnell said the officers may have had few options because of "an eyeball to eyeball confrontation between the officer and the offender."
"It may have been too fluid to deteriorate for the officers to do anything else," O'Donnell said. "It underscores that there's no two of these that are exactly alike."
Police tactical manuals are meant to assist officers in making the best decision possible, but in the end, "they're not 100 percent foolproof," Galietta said. "In a situation like that, you can follow procedure, and it doesn't mean it comes out perfectly."
Hofstra student John Kourtessis told the New York Post that he'd gone to a bar with Rebello and a few other friends to celebrate the end of school. When they got back to Rebello's house, she asked him to move his car and he went upstairs to get his keys.
When he came back down, he said, Smith was there. He said Smith kept talking about "the Russian guy," insisting the house's residents owed a Russian man money and that he was outside waiting.
"He was saying ... that he just needed us to cooperate. I said, 'Listen, we have all this money here.'"
Kourtessis said the students offered Smith computers, jewelry and other items from the house but that Smith kept demanding more money.
The officer who fired the shots is an eight-year NYPD veteran and has been with Nassau County police for 12 years.
He is now out on sick leave, Azzata said.
Procedurally, the Nassau County district attorney would determine whether an officer's use of deadly force was justified, O'Donnell said. A spokesman for the prosecutor's office said Monday it is monitoring the ongoing police investigation.

that's the problem.

What? He decided to kill the girl? Watch what you are saying.

Back