Shoshone Sisters Unarmed Fight Against the Federal Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Jackson was the founder of the modern day Democratic Party.

Incorrect, Democratic Party was conservative party in 1800s and the liberal movement wasn't happen until early to mid 20th Century.

That's not same as modern version of Democratic Party.

The Indian Removal Act of 1830 was passed by Congress on May 28, 1830 during the Presidency of Andrew Jackson.

He was the President mostly responsible for the genocide of Native Americans. Andrew Jackson was the founder of the modern day Democratic Party.

Jackson was referring to the Supreme Court Judge that ruled in favor of the Cherokee Nation's Sovereignty. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/supremecourt/antebellum/history2.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Nation_v._Georgia

http://www.propublica.org/article/land-grab-cheats-north-dakota-tribes-out-of-1-billion-suits-allege

Did you hear about this story?

You obviously interpret the article incorrectly to support your side - conservative and Republican Party. No wonder about your statements aren't truth, but it is highly opinion.

Modern version of Democratic Party isn't same as in 1800s that used to be conservative party so it is totally different, also back in 1950s, Democratic Party had 2 different classes: pro-conservative and pro-segregation (Dixiecrat); and liberal and anti-segregation. Dixiecrat is almost extinct nowadays but there are small number of conservative democrats, even liberal republicans too.

You obviously interpret the article incorrectly to support your side - conservative and Republican Party. No wonder about your statements aren't truth, but it is highly opinion.

Modern version of Democratic Party isn't same as in 1800s that used to be conservative party so it is totally different, also back in 1950s, Democratic Party had 2 different classes: pro-conservative and pro-segregation (Dixiecrat); and liberal and anti-segregation. Dixiecrat is almost extinct nowadays but there are small number of conservative democrats, even liberal republicans too.

I am just pointing to the facts is all. Maybe you should argue with the National Archives Director and tell him he is wrong?

I am just pointing to the facts is all. Maybe you should argue with the National Archives Director and tell him he is wrong?

Your statement showed me that you lacked the logical thinking and my argument is relative to history about political parties.

Why majority of Native Indians support Democratic Party? Most minorities side with Democratic Party as well.

No, I haven't heard of that story. I am still researching the Shoshone sisters case. Thanks for sharing that article.

I didn't realize something when I was reading about the Shoshone's - the Federal Government was testing atomic and nuclear bombs on their land. Then, they turned right around and told the Shoshone's that their ranching was harming the foliage in the area.

Sickening and shocking as our histories because he was a bad man doesn't have no right to do this and it make me

Sent from my LGMS345 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Personally, I wouldn't use Wikipedia for "historical facts" but even your link disputes your claim.

Did you read the entire link, especially about the history of the party?

Yes, Jackson was a Democratic President but the party he identified with was much different then.

How does it dispute he was the founder of the modern day Democratic Party?

In fact, verbatim, that was what the article stated.

Personally, I wouldn't use Wikipedia for "historical facts" but even your link disputes your claim.

Did you read the entire link, especially about the history of the party?

Yes, Jackson was a Democratic President but the party he identified with was much different then.

That what I believe too but I don't use wikipedia as source for academic purpose.

The history is very complicated and lengthy so it may have a lot of hidden information that we don't discover, but I made more simple to explain about difference in history of Democratic Party.

I'm on iPhone and it is notoriously difficult to make very large post with sources but I will check in when I get home from errands.

That what I believe too but I don't use wikipedia as source for academic purpose.

The history is very complicated and lengthy so it may have a lot of hidden information that we don't discover, but I made more simple to explain about difference in history of Democratic Party.

I'm on iPhone and it is notoriously difficult to make very large post with sources but I will check in when I get home from errands.

I don't think it is complicated at all. Andrew Jackson did not believe in Constitutional Law, otherwise, he would have enforced Chief Justice Marshall's findings that the Cherokee were a sovereign nation, and that the State of Georgia had no constitutional right to strip them of their land and liberties.

I don't think it is complicated at all. Andrew Jackson did not believe in Constitutional Law, otherwise, he would have enforced Chief Justice Marshall's findings that the Cherokee were a sovereign nation, and that the State of Georgia had no constitutional right to strip them of their land and liberties.

I means overall on history, not just Andrew Jackson.

Of course, I remember that in history class and intersectionality class so that's horrible for corrupted politician, especially Andrew Jackson.

I don't blame on political parties over corrupted politicians but I don't agree with some of their beliefs.

Which party does this describe?

. . . After the War of 1812 the Federalists virtually disappeared and the only national political party left was the Democratic-Republicans. The era of one-party rule in the United States, known as the Era of Good Feelings, lasted from 1816 until the early 1830s, when the Whig Party became a national political group to rival the Democratic-Republicans. The Democratic-Republican party still had its own internal factions, however. They split over the choice of a successor to President James Monroe, and the party faction that supported many of the old Jeffersonian principles, led by Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren, became the modern Democratic Party. As Norton explains the transformation in 1828:

Jacksonians believed the people's will had finally prevailed. Through a lavishly financed coalition of state parties, political leaders, and newspaper editors, a popular movement had elected the president. The Democrats became the nation's first well-organized national party ... and tight party organization became the hallmark of nineteenth-century American politics."

Behind the platforms issued by state and national parties stood a widely shared political outlook that characterized the Democrats:

The Democrats represented a wide range of views but shared a fundamental commitment to the Jeffersonian concept of an agrarian society. They viewed the central government as the enemy of individual liberty. The 1824 "corrupt bargain" had strengthened their suspicion of Washington politics. ... Jacksonians feared the concentration of economic and political power. They believed that government intervention in the economy benefited special-interest groups and created corporate monopolies that favored the rich. They sought to restore the independence of the individual—the artisan and the ordinary farmer—by ending federal support of banks and corporations and restricting the use of paper currency, which they distrusted. Their definition of the proper role of government tended to be negative, and Jackson's political power was largely expressed in negative acts. He exercised the veto more than all previous presidents combined. Jackson and his supporters also opposed reform as a movement. Reformers eager to turn their programs into legislation called for a more active government. But Democrats tended to oppose programs like educational reform mid the establishment of a public education system. They believed, for instance, that public schools restricted individual liberty by interfering with parental responsibility and undermined freedom of religion by replacing church schools. Nor did Jackson share reformers' humanitarian concerns. He had no sympathy for American Indians, initiating the removal of the Cherokees along the Trail of Tears.

What does that describe? Certainly not the big-government progressives of today's Democratic Party. The Democratic Party of Jackson was not the same as the party of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Sounds like the Democratic Party to me .... Shrugs.

Why not highlight the part about having no sympathy for the Cherokee Indians?

You cannot blame on modern version of Democratic Party for own mistakes with Native Indians in 1800s so it is very different, also all of Andrew Jackson and his buddies already died.

Really? Opposing big government?

The Republicans were the progressives of that time, and the Democrats were the conservatives.

I don't understand how you missed that.

Well, you are in opposition to the historians. It's common knowledge in the history of the United States.

If you don't believe me, that's fine. Google "when did the Democrats become progressive?" or "when were the Republicans liberal?" or "were the Democrats always liberal" or any other such search phrase. You will see lots of sources pop up, and you can choose whatever ones you want.

Because I was highlighting the general philosophies, not the specific examples.

I have no love for the Democratic Party but history is history. They weren't the same party in 1828 that they are now. They were DINO's back then, compared to now.

Same for the Republican Party. They also evolved over time. They aren't the same party as they were when first formed.

I don't know why that's hard to accept.

Stein, I'm glad you shared your post #16. Too many people still don't know/believe about the genocide of Native American Indian peoples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back