Sherrod controversy

Let me help you out here so you really understand what is happening. The ong part of the story is just a cover up to show her pity and avoid the real statement she made and can no (here i should repeat "can not" a thousand times) take back.
Lets say I am a succesful white doctor and a black woman tries to use my service. Well because of who I am, I tell her " I am not going to give you any treatment but I will assign you to ONE OF YOUR OWN KIND" The damn doctor is a racist and so is Sherrod for saying the same thing.
It is impossible to take a racist "out of context"...you either are or you are not
She was telling a story of redemption. She was initially wrong, learned her lesson, and did everything she could to make it right. If she owes anybody an apology, it's the white farmer, and I'm pretty sure he's happy with what she did for him. If you can't appreciate a story of redemption like that, then you have an awfully high standard that no human, including yourself, could possibly attain.

You don't have to be a fan of hers. As I said previously, she is racially divisive and hardly a hero for race relations. However, there's no need to hammer her for doing something wrong decades ago and then doing everything in her power to recompense.

She was telling a story of redemption. She was initially wrong, learned her lesson, and did everything she could to make it right. If she owes anybody an apology, it's the white farmer, and I'm pretty sure he's happy with what she did for him. If you can't appreciate a story of redemption like that, then you have an awfully high standard that no human, including yourself, could possibly attain.

You don't have to be a fan of hers. As I said previously, she is racially divisive and hardly a hero for race relations. However, there's no need to hammer her for doing something wrong decades ago and then doing everything in her power to recompense.

Interesting. I cannot help but wonder, though, how today's supporter would have reacted decades ago. The media was as powerful and influencing then as it is now. Hmmm.

I feel like we are back in the 1960 era. It is like anyone who hate blacks people want to try to hung her and her husband on the noose for something they do wrong as bad as the white people who are more wrong for hatred. Things have not change much especially with women who were abuse by men whether in culture, wrongdoing (if they are innocent) and just plain hard punishment for the desperate women. That is why we need to teach white people that we are human as much as they are too. We are all the same no matter what. It is very sad when they comment on that. :(

It is not about hate....here what it really is about...
My grandfather said to me you can take a bum off the street, feed him a good meal, give him a great bath, give him a warm bed to sleep in and let him get a goodnignt sleep, next morning give him some new clothes and a good breakfast...and what do you have??? a new man?? NO, NO NO, you still have a bum!!!

It is not about hate....here what it really is about...
My grandfather said to me you can take a bum off the street, feed him a good meal, give him a great bath, give him a warm bed to sleep in and let him get a goodnignt sleep, next morning give him some new clothes and a good breakfast...and what do you have??? a new man?? NO, NO NO, you still have a bum!!!

Falliblefall argument.

I'll give it one more try and then drop it.
Let's say a man was married three years and had one child by his wife but during these three years he had two affairs with two women, at total of 4 times he commited adultry. Now in the fourth years his wife finds out about the two women and demands a divorce.
But the man is able to talk his way out of a divorce by a promise to change his ways and be faithful forever on. True to his words, he kept that promise. On the celebration of their twenty-fifth anniversary the couple repeated their vows to one another. No matter how much longer they remain married and alive, celebrating one anniversary after the other, and if the man should continue to be faithful the whole period, he is always and forever going to be known as an adulterer. That will never change, no matter how much he has learn from his mistake and no matter how his lifestyle is conducted from the days foward. Once an adulterer, always an adulterer.
george Wallace is a man who admitted his mistakes and tried to make up for them. But he will always be know as a racist....And so will Sherrod.

Let's say a man was married three years and had one child by his wife but during these three years he had two affairs with two women, at total of 4 times he commited adultry. Now in the fourth years his wife finds out about the two women and demands a divorce.
But the man is able to talk his way out of a divorce by a promise to change his ways and be faithful forever on. True to his words, he kept that promise. On the celebration of their twenty-fifth anniversary the couple repeated their vows to one another. No matter how much longer they remain married and alive, celebrating one anniversary after the other, and if the man should continue to be faithful the whole period, he is always and forever going to be known as an adulterer. That will never change, no matter how much he has learn from his mistake and no matter how his lifestyle is conducted from the days foward. Once an adulterer, always an adulterer.
george Wallace is a man who admitted his mistakes and tried to make up for them. But he will always be know as a racist....And so will Sherrod.
I smoked cigarettes for 10 years. I have not smoked in over 8 years. I have no plans to smoke it again. In 25 years, will I still be a smoker?

If the wife hammered him over the head all the time for being an adulterer, that marriage would fall apart quickly.

Have you ever lied? Liar!
Have you ever cheated, even mildly? Cheater!

And so on. I think we should go lenient on people that used to be prejudiced and overcame it. If not, this would be an awfully unpleasant society to live in.

I feel like we are back in the 1960 era. It is like anyone who hate blacks people want to try to hung her and her husband on the noose for something they do wrong as bad as the white people who are more wrong for hatred. Things have not change much especially with women who were abuse by men whether in culture, wrongdoing (if they are innocent) and just plain hard punishment for the desperate women. That is why we need to teach white people that we are human as much as they are too. We are all the same no matter what. It is very sad when they comment on that. :(
This is not the 1960s, nobody is talking about lynching or hanging anyone, and most white people have no problem with the other races.

I smoked cigarettes for 10 years. I have not smoked in over 8 years. I have no plans to smoke it again. In 25 years, will I still be a smoker?

Now I think I understand what rolling7 meant when someone like an alcoholic will always be alcoholic forever, never change. I get the point. But still there some people who can change their way and still become a new person. Not everyone changes unless a person can change if he/she want to value his/her life better.

Rolling7, anyway, that has nothing to do with Sherrod controversy about changes, but she is giving insight about her experience back then and also want to improve her department so that everyone can be equal and get along with each other. That is the most important subject on this matter that she was experiencing at her own department. That is why I am wondering what is going on in her department that is probably giving her some difficulty? :hmm:

This is not the 1960s, nobody is talking about lynching or hanging anyone, and most white people have no problem with the other races.

Well, I am trying to explain how I feel about the comments that are put in the threads. It is like start over again with not wanting her or her husband to make the speech about what she or he said. It is a free speech. There is no right or wrong thing about it, unless it is very disturbing if the speaker is making the wrong way to say. But not Shirley Sherrod. There are some, not most of the white people who have no problem with other races. Not all people think alike anyway. You and I are different but we are human beings and should show some respect so that we don't get hurt because we are different in our thought. :wave:

Now I think I understand what rolling7 meant when someone like an alcoholic will always be alcoholic forever, never change. I get the point. But still there some people who can change their way and still become a new person. Not everyone changes unless a person can change if he/she want to value his/her life better.
Yes, agreed. Alcoholism is a disease; an addiction. Racism is a learned behaviour.

I recall watching the "Amos and Andy" TV show at the home of my Tuesday Bible study. We watched it while we waited until everyone was there. I must have been 8 years old. I cannot think of a more stereotypical "black people as buffoons" show in all my years, but at the time we thought it was funny as heck. I was probably quite racist then, growing up in white suburbia. Times changed; attitudes changed. People spoke out, ideas were shared, and now racial awareness is much more prevalent. I certainly have changed. If I was labeled a racist today for laughing at that TV show, I would shake my head.

Yes, agreed. Alcoholism is a disease; an addiction. Racism is a learned behaviour.

I recall watching the "Amos and Andy" TV show at the home of my Tuesday Bible study. We watched it while we waited until everyone was there. I must have been 8 years old. I cannot think of a more stereotypical "black people as buffoons" show in all my years, but at the time we thought it was funny as heck. I was probably quite racist then, growing up in white suburbia. Times changed; attitudes changed. People spoke out, ideas were shared, and now racial awareness is much more prevalent. I certainly have changed. If I was labeled a racist today for laughing at that TV show, I would shake my head.

Thank you for sharing this story. Yes, I understand what you mean about changes over time in the years ahead until today. I am glad that you have change your perspective about the color of the skin, whether it be black, red, yellow, brown and even green if there is an alien from another planet. :)

Well, I am trying to explain how I feel about the comments that are put in the threads. It is like start over again with not wanting her or her husband to make the speech about what she or he said. It is a free speech. There is no right or wrong thing about it, unless it is very disturbing if the speaker is making the wrong way to say. But not Shirley Sherrod.
Nobody wants to take away their right to free speech. They have the right to say stupid things and people are using their own free speech rights to criticize the dumb things they're saying.

There are some, not most of the white people who have no problem with other races. Not all people think alike anyway.
Of course there will always be some racists in any group, but it's much less than in the 60s. The racism that was common back then would be foreign to a young person today. It's factually wrong to say things today are just like they were in the 60s and people want to see the Sherrods hanged. To make such claims is to ignore the progress that has been made.

You and I are different but we are human beings and should show some respect so that we don't get hurt because we are different in our thought. :wave:
True. Merely honest disagreements. :wave:

Agreed.
And what is learned can be unlearned. But only if one is open to the process.

Brietbart never apologized to her, so now she is going to sue him. That clown blew it, you know? Tsk.

Beowulf, you had made me look up OP's news again (both news). I am shocked that Breitbart is the one who is the blogger trying to destroy her career and also her husband's. I do hope she can sue him for having him slander her including her husband and never apologize for what he had done. Now that make me mad because he had the nerve to rile up other people thinking that Shirley Sherrod is a bad person and not to be trust. That is terrible. It is just like scam to fool people like that. Geeze. :mad:

Back