Sherrod controversy

goHabsgo

Reaction score
In the Sherrod controversy, do shoot the messenger

Anyone who watches the whole tape of Sherrod's speech sees an honest woman who tells of an incident with a white farmer 24 years ago that made her question her own prejudices. She goes on to say such things as:

"Working with him made me see that it's really about those who have versus those who don't ... and they could be black; they could be white; they could be Hispanic. ...

"God helped me see that it's not just about black people. ... I've come to realize that we have to work together ... we have to overcome the divisions that we have."

Mitch Albom: In the Sherrod controversy, do shoot the messenger | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

------------------------------------------------------------

The speech made the point that she recognized her prejudice and that "there is no difference between us."

On several occasions, she urged her audience to put race to one side and, in this particular case, she went on to help the farmer save his land.

CBC News - World - Lessons from the Shirley Sherrod affair

------------------------------------------------------------

I think Mrs. Sherrod should get her job back, what do you think?

Yes she should get her old job back.......but it looks like they may give her a promotion.

What she said was out of context.....but she still said some bothersome things......Even given the entire statement she should have been reprimanded.

Yes she should get her old job back.......but it looks like they may give her a promotion.

What she said was out of context.....but she still said some bothersome things......Even given the entire statement she should have been reprimanded.

Oh really? What exactly did you find bothersome about someone showing humility and urging people to get over their prejudice using her own experience as an example?

Hey, aren't you supposed to be in Vegas? WTF you doing posting here? Go out and make some pars!!!

It would be nice for her to get promoted to her new other job. But I don'd know if it is right for her to go on Civil Right job which is still discriminating her as she is speaking about her experience back 24 years ago. It look like every white men (the big boys) think it is the job for the black woman or black man to run the Civil Right position. So that is kind of racist on their part. Yes, every one makes mistake. If she accept the position in Civil right, then that is great for her if that is what she want. :hmm:

Heavens forbid the ADers will look at this with their eyes wide open! Let's say a white male in the same position said: "I had a black farmer in front of me and I did not give him all the help I could because he was black." The guy would immediately be labled a racist, rightfully so, and run out of town, again rightfully so . Now you have a black woman basiclly saying the same thing and you guys want to give her a promotion!!!!
Give me a break!!!

Heavens forbid the ADers will look at this with their eyes wide open! Let's say a white male in the same position said: "I had a black farmer in front of me and I did not give him all the help I could because he was black." The guy would immediately be labled a racist, rightfully so, and run out of town, again rightfully so . Now you have a black woman basiclly saying the same thing and you guys want to give her a promotion!!!!
Give me a break!!!

Did you read the the article? Do you know the whole story? Do you even understand what the words "take out of context" mean? Cause if you do, and you're still saying what you said. Well damn...

I think Breitbart should apologize. He may defend it on Machiavellian grounds, but it clearly doesn't pass the "what if the other side did it?" test. I was glad to see many who initially jumped on the story ended up apologizing to her. I don't think she should have lost her job over this and I'm glad they offered it back.

However, she's no racial uniter. If you listen to the whole speech, she went on to decry the racism of health care opponents and the Tea Party. She also said that Breitbart wants to return to the days of slavery. Wow! If we're going to find racial unity, it's not going to be from someone that talks like that.

A lot of people ended up looking really bad in this thing. This is what happens when racial rhetoric heats up. Falsely painting people as racist with no evidence is a dangerous game that never ends up well.

There are a few people that ended up looking good- those who were skeptical and didn't run with the story. Contrary to the narrative in certain corners, that includes Fox News (who said nothing of the story until after she got fired) and Glenn Beck (who pleaded to look at context before the whole video came out).

she doesn't deserve to get her job back or a promotion. I don't trust that woman.
I think you missed the rest of the story. It was in the 80s and she was working for a non-profit. At first, she didn't want to help him much because he was white, but then she realized that's wrong, so she ended up helping him all she could. The video cut out the last part of that story. The farmer has died since then, but the wife has said they are close friends with Sherrod.

I think you missed the rest of the story. It was in the 80s and she was working for a non-profit. At first, she didn't want to help him much because he was white, but then she realized that's wrong, so she ended up helping him all she could. The video cut out the last part of that story. The farmer has died since then, but the wife has said they are close friends with Sherrod.

That is very true. After the farmer had killed her father, later she had decided to help the white farmer so to make peace and not get angry at him. So that is very rare for the person who lost love one (her father) to hold her grudge on the farmer. It is a very hard thing for her to go through this and had to repent or forgive the farmer and help him. Amazing. I can understand her. That is very sad. :(

Are you discriminate her just because she is black and don't trust her? :hmm:

That is quite a leap; there isn't anything in his comment to lead most people to be trigger-happy and flash the race card. Sorry but that's my take.....

That is quite a leap; there isn't anything in his comment to lead most people to be trigger-happy and flash the race card. Sorry but that's my take.....

This is what happen when someone assume like that. Yes, it is quite a leap if you say so. I am just like her if there is any discrimination against Native people. If there is any misunderstanding on the part of what Shirley Sherrod was trying to explain about what is going on in the Drug or Health department and just want to say that we should all get along with each other no matter what color, creed, or religion we came from. We are suppose to be one people and should be equal just like everyone else. So I am wondering if there is some kind of problem with these departments that she was having difficult with. :hmm:

Oh really? What exactly did you find bothersome about someone showing humility and urging people to get over their prejudice using her own experience as an example?

Hey, aren't you supposed to be in Vegas? WTF you doing posting here? Go out and make some pars!!!

Exactly. I find it refreshing indeed for Sherrod to admit to having had mistaken impressions, but have undergone experiences that have altered her perspective. Tells me she is an openminded and empathic individual. Those are both bonuses.

Did you read the the article? Do you know the whole story? Do you even understand what the words "take out of context" mean? Cause if you do, and you're still saying what you said. Well damn...

Let me help you out here so you really understand what is happening. The ong part of the story is just a cover up to show her pity and avoid the real statement she made and can no (here i should repeat "can not" a thousand times) take back.
Lets say I am a succesful white doctor and a black eome tries to use my service. Well because of who I am, I tell her " I am not going to give you any treatment but I will assign you to ONE OF YOUR OWN KIND" The damn doctor is a racist and so is Sherrod for saying the same thing.
It is impossible to take a racist "out of context"...you either are or you are not

Let me help you out here so you really understand what is happening. The ong part of the story is just a cover up to show her pity and avoid the real statement she made and can no (here i should repeat "can not" a thousand times) take back.
Lets say I am a succesful white doctor and a black woman tries to use my service. Well because of who I am, I tell her " I am not going to give you any treatment but I will assign you to ONE OF YOUR OWN KIND" The damn doctor is a racist and so is Sherrod for saying the same thing.
It is impossible to take a racist "out of context"...you either are or you are not

Wow.. it's SO blatantly obvious that some people in this thread didn't read the whole thing.

Lets say I am a succesful white doctor and a black woman tries to use my service. Well because of who I am, I tell her " I am not going to give you any treatment but I will assign you to ONE OF YOUR OWN KIND" The damn doctor is a racist and so is Sherrod for saying the same thing.

:roll:

I can assure you, my reading comprehension and understanding of the situation is perfectly fine. So, let me help you out here: Learn how to read.

You must have missed the part about this happening 24 years ago. People do change, you know.

Back