Shale Boom in Texas Could Increase U.S. Oil Output

We should do the same with pharmaceutical companies. The make way more money when profit margins are taken into account. Oil companies make on average about 6.5% profit. Pharma about 16%.The soft drink market is even more lucrative.

Oil companies make about 7 cents per gallon but the all benovolent government takes in more than 48 cents, on average, per gallon of gas. That's taxes for you and me. So, hey, why not go after pharma and soft drinks instead?

Then how can we get freeways and maintance and all that? We cannot have them without paying taxes for them.

Then how can we get freeways and maintance and all that? We cannot have them without paying taxes for them.

Yup, you are correct and gas tax is different from state to state but 18 cents for federal.

I didn't say not get taxes out of them for freeways and such. How about the same vigor going after pharma and soft drinks industry and cut into their profit margin down to that of the oil companies?

We should do the same with pharmaceutical companies. The make way more money when profit margins are taken into account. Oil companies make on average about 6.5% profit. Pharma about 16%.The soft drink market is even more lucrative.

Oil companies make about 7 cents per gallon but the all benovolent government takes in more than 48 cents, on average, per gallon of gas. That's taxes for you and me. So, hey, why not go after pharma and soft drinks instead?

why not? um..... that's because pharma and soft drinks companies do not destroy environment as bad as oil companies.

btw - while you make 6.5% sounds like a meager profit compared 16%... I have to inform you that they're still raking in billions and they're still billionaires. and they're powerful.

Oh goody, by 2020 we'll be getting enough oil to lower gas prices by, what, a buck a gallon? whoohoo!

Good grief. Too bad Washington has its collective fist so deep in the Big Oil well of pleasure. We should have had an energy plan that would make us completely free of dirty fossil fuels by 2020.

why not? um..... that's because pharma and soft drinks companies do not destroy environment as bad as oil companies.

btw - while you make 6.5% sounds like a meager profit compared 16%... I have to inform you that they're still raking in billions and they're still billionaires. and they're powerful.

Meat production has a significant impact on the environment than one could possibly imagine. Yet no one ever address this issue.

Meat production has a significant impact on the environment than one could possibly imagine. Yet no one ever address this issue.

Actually, you're right. :(

Methane is produced by cows and they're 23 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

Interesting to note that kangaroos are the only animals that produce NO methane at all and some are saying that we should start domesticating kangaroo meat as a substitute for beef.

But back to taxes, I am glad that I pay taxes for public transportation and I do think we need to pay a bit more for better roads.

I didn't say not get taxes out of them for freeways and such. How about the same vigor going after pharma and soft drinks industry and cut into their profit margin down to that of the oil companies?

I'd definitely want taxes on soft drink considering that they're one of the factors for obesity. Not sure about pharma because its' DAMN expensive to get through FDA process.. it costs millions of dollars in order to get FDA approval. So I think it's far for them to get enough money to recover the cost of R&D and also to invest more in new drugs.

Oh goody, by 2020 we'll be getting enough oil to lower gas prices by, what, a buck a gallon? whoohoo!

Good grief. Too bad Washington has its collective fist so deep in the Big Oil well of pleasure. We should have had an energy plan that would make us completely free of dirty fossil fuels by 2020.
Exactly who/what is this "Big oil"?

Wouldn't you say it'd be better to produce oil domestically and keep most (or all) of the money and jobs here in the states rather than forking over $500 billion a year overseas to other countries not stable or friendly toward the U.S. that import oil?

Which is better? Have at least much greater control over our destiny by using our own oil and move toward better and "cleaner" energy or be under the whims of countries who don't like us that sell us their oil?

Actually, you're right. :(

Methane is produced by cows and they're 23 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

Interesting to note that kangaroos are the only animals that produce NO methane at all and some are saying that we should start domesticating kangaroo meat as a substitute for beef.

But back to taxes, I am glad that I pay taxes for public transportation and I do think we need to pay a bit more for better roads.

Not just the gas, but they are also responsible for land erosion, water pollution, air pollution, you name it.

I'd definitely want taxes on soft drink considering that they're one of the factors for obesity. Not sure about pharma because its' DAMN expensive to get through FDA process.. it costs millions of dollars in order to get FDA approval. So I think it's far for them to get enough money to recover the cost of R&D and also to invest more in new drugs.

It cost oil companies billions of dollars each year to invest in oil-related infrastructures and exploration costs with no guarantee they'll see oil or the amount they'll get will help recoup the cost. Something that the average Jane and Joe don't understand. They're just "meanies" and yet they're the ones who made your lives that much more comfortable.

Exactly who/what is this "Big oil"?

Wouldn't you say it'd be better to produce oil domestically and keep most (or all) of the money and jobs here in the states rather than forking over $500 billion a year overseas to other countries not stable or friendly toward the U.S. that import oil?

Which is better? Have at least much greater control over our destiny by using our own oil and move toward better and "cleaner" energy or be under the whims of countries who don't like us that sell us their oil?

Big oil = the oil industry. What a silly question.

Well, if we're going to use dirty, inefficient, and costly fuel, then YES, by all means, let's produce it ourselves!

My point, which you ignored entirely, is that we shouldn't even be including oil as part of our long term energy solution, and if we realized this a lot sooner, we'd be in a much better place by 2020.

Not just the gas, but they are also responsible for land erosion, water pollution, air pollution, you name it.
Yes, but not as bad as it was in the past, yet pollution still exists, however. Environmental stewardship for livestock has been going on for awhile. There are state and federal stewardship programs that help create incentives and opportunities to be better environmental stewards.

For example:
http://www.epa.gov/agriculture/beef.pdf

Well, if we're going to use dirty, inefficient, and costly fuel, then YES, by all means, let's produce it ourselves!

My point, which you ignored entirely, is that we shouldn't even be including oil as part of our long term energy solution, and if we realized this a lot sooner, we'd be in a much better place by 2020.

I'm assuming you're talking about the private oil industry, right?

What point did you make saying that I ignored it?

Where did I say oil would be our long term energy solution?

Simple, every city need to stop grow on the land, turn into limited ubran zone, it give better transportation and time. Look at Oklahoma City, it's frickin huge compare to Dallas. No kidding. I'm talk about the size of city on land, not population.

Back