Sexual Education

FireTiger

Reaction score
Topic: Sex Education as school curriculum.

Hot buttons:
Should the school have to do this at all?
What should be covered?

My experience:

I already knew about sex in general - (It's how to make babies and little people are not big enough to make babies) when the 5th graders in public elementary school were separated by sex into two groups to have 'the puberty talk' it was just that- changes you may be noticing in your body...

8th grade at a religious private school, sex ed again- a letter was sent home twice in the regular mail, once at the beginning of the year and once at end of first quarter. The 'course' was all about human sexuality and included graphic pictures of normal vs diseased anatomy... (eyes, mouth, vulva, penis) we were not separated by sex, also all 'preventing pregnancy myths' were covers as well as 'disease prevention myths'...

Abstinence was listed as 100% effective at both (prevention of pregnancy and disease), but (male) condom use was taught... female condom use was mentioned but only that they exist and are not as good at protecting against disease.

Also bullying and sexual predation was covered and hotline numbers were given out.

-----

My thoughts- there was only one noticed teen pregnancy during my time at school... also some of the students had not heard of all the different types of sex, the 'proper' names for the types ...

worse yet some didn't know about sex at all nor what could happen... (8th graders are 12-14 years old)

some believed sex myths and pregnancy myths- 'not on the first time' etc.
-----

I was astonished- then the parents, who saw the same letter I did started to complain, the most vocal were the ones who had the most sheltered kids... (mostly female as I recall)

----

Frankly, I believe children should be taught the basics at a young age. A large number of parents don't teach their children anything related to sex. It's not healthy for a child to grow up nothing knowing absolutely nothing about sex. They don't know what certain words mean, which can be embarrassing at times in certain conversations.

I'm glad my parents were open to educate me on these matters. I know many weren't.

By the way, I always have to cringe whenever somebody brings up the subject of abstinence. The problem with the concept is that it doesn't involves sex at all. So how can it be truly effective if you aren't doing anything that would put you at the risk of pregnancy, STDs, etc? If you are not having sex, you won't get pregnant, you won't get STDs or anything remotely close to it. With abstinence, there are no precautions to take. It's not effective in anything because you are not doing anything in the first place.

Basically, it's the same as teaching someone that abstinence from cooking meat is 100% effective against third-degree burns.

Yes, I am in favour for encouraging the students to not become sexually active at such a young age because of all the risks involved. However, you cannot stop them, so I feel that it is crucial to teach them about all of the precautions they can take to greatly reduce the risks. It's better to know what you are getting into than not knowing anything at all.

let us fornicate.

By the way, I always have to cringe whenever somebody brings up the subject of abstinence. The problem with the concept is that it doesn't involves sex at all. So how can it be truly effective if you aren't doing anything that would put you at the risk of pregnancy, STDs, etc? If you are not having sex, you won't get pregnant, you won't get STDs or anything remotely close to it. With abstinence, there are no precautions to take. It's not effective in anything because you are not doing anything in the first place.

Basically, it's the same as teaching someone that abstinence from cooking meat is 100% effective against third-degree burns.

Yes, I am in favour for encouraging the students to not become sexually active at such a young age because of all the risks involved. However, you cannot stop them, so I feel that it is crucial to teach them about all of the precautions they can take to greatly reduce the risks. It's better to know what you are getting into than not knowing anything at all.

Well they did teach how to properly use and store condoms... but should they have had to?

condom? it's illegal in my abode.

I think sex education should be taught in all schools. I think they also should teach the different options of birthcontrol and yes teach people how it should be used.

Age appropriate sex education should be taught at a very young age. Reason being is to teach them about good touches and bad touches to tell on people that touches them innappropriately.

With 3 boys and I'm the only parent, talking about sex was quite awkward at times.....I signed the papers from school for sex education (which helped)...and made sure all of my boys when they became teenagers (the oldest was different, at an earlier age), they had condoms in their dresser drawer and in their wallets....and they do now change the condom in their wallets every month....I ask them periodically about it, reminding them too.

It's a parents nightmare, if their underage child gets pregnant.

A lot of people don't even know how to use condoms properly.

I have a friend who know a nurse that worked in a health clinic and the nurse told my friend this true story! A young woman came to the clinic and the nurse was asking her questions and one was if she used condoms during sex and the woman said " yes but I lost my safety pin and stopped using condoms" The nurse said " what do do need the safety pin for??" The woman said " I use it to break the bubble on the top of condoms" LOL!! This woman made a hole in the
condom than has sex!!

What is your opinion on what stages all ages really should know?

Toddlers to small children: [type here]

Children: [type here]

Pre-teens: [type here]

Teens: [type here]

I would teach my small child about "bees & birds", genders, and, especially, "no touching". As for older child, I would prefer to expose her/him a small piece of harsh reality about the danger. For an explain, like what I was taught about risks at pool when I was 6 or so. That is very helpful, IMO. Of course, teach him/her some education for sexual reproduction but discourage her/him from having sex. Hopefully, he or she wouldn't. Also, remind my child to not allow older people or even elders to touch my kid!

As for pre-teens, add more details about basic sex education and BCs. As for teens and older, deeper details as the real education. To be honest, I am so glad that I was taught at my old middle school. Because, like Banjo said, it is so important to know about these... So I would allow my kids to learn the sex education at any school they would attend to.

Toddler/under 8 - Nobody is allowed to touch where the bathing-suit covers?

8+ - puberty lessons, biological lessons (babies, disease, no pictures)

12+ - BC and safe practices for sex, what sex is and means to people

14+ - repeat 12 year old topics, house rules for sex- IE, not when you live in my house

I'm a firm believer in sex education. And I think that just teaching abstinence is asking for trouble. Just because you only teach abstinence doesn't mean that kids will all be abstinent, and it's extremely naive to think otherwise. A lot of those kids also probably aren't getting info from their parents or other sources, so then you wind up with kids getting into some serious messes because they weren't properly informed.

When I lived in England I saw a documentary on sex education in Europe. The UK admitted that it's sex ed was basically non-existent, and that teen pregnancy rates were really high. They also took a good look at the Netherlands. Sex ed there was *really* thorough- they even discussed things like homosexual relations and masturbation. It so happens that they also had the lowest teen pregnancy rate in Europe.

Toddler/under 8 - Nobody is allowed to touch where the bathing-suit covers?

8+ - puberty lessons, biological lessons (babies, disease, no pictures)

12+ - BC and safe practices for sex, what sex is and means to people

14+ - repeat 12 year old topics, house rules for sex- IE, not when you live in my house

That would fit well with developmental appropriateness.

Back