Seven or more eggs a week linked to death risk

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seven or more eggs a week linked to death risk

Middle-aged men should limit consumption, study suggests

WASHINGTON - Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The study adds to an ever-growing body of evidence, much of it contradictory, about how safe eggs are to eat. It did not examine what about the eggs might affect the risk of death.

Men without diabetes could eat up to six eggs a week with no extra risk of death, Dr. Luc Djousse and Dr. J. Michael Gaziano of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School found.

"Whereas egg consumption of up to six eggs a week was not associated with the risk of all-cause mortality, consumption of (seven or more) eggs a week was associated with a 23 percent greater risk of death," they wrote.

"However, among male physicians with diabetes, any egg consumption is associated with a greater risk of all-cause mortality, and there was suggestive evidence for a greater risk of MI (heart attack) and stroke."

They urged more study in the general population.

Neither 'good' nor 'bad'
Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke.

One expert on nutrition and heart disease said the study suggests middle-aged men, at least, should watch how many eggs they eat.

"More egg on our faces? It's really hard to say at this point, but it still seems, if you're a middle-aged male physician and enjoy eggs more than once a day, that having some of the egg left on your face may be better than having it go down your gullet," said Dr. Robert Eckel of the University of Colorado and a former president of the American Heart Association.

"But, remember: eggs are like all other foods — they are neither 'good' nor 'bad,' and they can be part of an overall heart-healthy diet," Eckel wrote in a commentary.

More likely to drink, smoke
The Harvard team studied 21,327 men taking part in the much larger Physicians' Health Study, which has been watching doctors since 1981 who have agreed to report regularly on their health and lifestyle habits.

Over 20 years, 1,550 of the men had heart attacks, 1,342 had strokes, and more than 5,000 died.

"Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke," the researchers wrote.

But the men who ate seven eggs a week or more were 23 percent more likely to have died during the 20-year period.

Diabetic men who ate any eggs at all were twice as likely to die in the 20 years.

Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise — all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.

Seven or more eggs a week linked to death risk - Diet and nutrition - MSNBC.com

:roll:

I am egg lover and eat eggs a lot since childhood. My cholesterol level is good.

At first the study said that egg is bad for you and should eat egg moderately - 3 eggs a week and then study found out that egg is good for you then now the article written negative about egg... :roll:

What do you think of this?

First of all, I wouldn't believe the Women's Hostipal studies about the men's health.

Also this article said that men are less likely to exercise which are the biggest lie. More men are interested into the sports compare to women, there's always higher percent of the construction, mining, armies, etc workers that require alot of physically work are the men compare to women. Other example, the boys in the schools tend to join tougher sports compare to girl's sports such like football, wrestling, etc. and if there are such easy sports for boys then there will be fewer boys join that sport, unlike girls who always willing to join mostly easier sports such like volleyball, gymnastic, etc.

I get the bad feeling that this study comes from those people who want to prove the women are better than the men..

Sorry to be harshy on this article, but it's too myth and sexism to me.. :roll:

Very interesting!~

Thanks post here.. info!!! :D

First of all, I wouldn't believe the Women's Hostipal studies about the men's health.

Also this article said that men are less likely to exercise which are the biggest lie. More men are interested into the sports compare to women, there's always higher percent of the construction, mining, armies, etc workers that require alot of physically work are the men compare to women. Other example, the boys in the schools tend to join tougher sports compare to girl's sports such like football, wrestling, etc. and if there are such easy sports for boys then there will be fewer boys join that sport, unlike girls who always willing to join mostly easier sports such like volleyball, gymnastic, etc.

I get the bad feeling that this study comes from those people who want to prove the women are better than the men..

Sorry to be harshy on this article, but it's too myth and sexism to me.. :roll:

I can understand your point. I personally disagree with those article because I know both women and men do use sports....

I laugh at those article over eggs... because I am egg lover... My Dad also is egg lover as well.

I can understand your point. I personally disagree with those article because I know both women and men do use sports....

Yea agree, both men and women got the execrise as their needs, my dad don't execrise at home, but do alot of physically works at his job while my mom always execrise at home and don't do much physcially works at her job.

I laugh at those article over eggs... because I am egg lover... My Dad also is egg lover as well.

Me too, I like the eggs and I am shocked that someone would ever consider the eggs as bad health for people, the eggs have lot of proteins which are good for people and the protein give people the energy to execrise, and that's why lot of people eat the eggs at the morning so that they can have the energy before going to work which making it part of the breakfast. That's why I think this article was too myth :)

Yea agree, both men and women got the execrise as their needs, my dad don't execrise at home, but do alot of physically works at his job while my mom always execrise at home and don't do much physcially works at her job.

Me too, I like the eggs and I am shocked that someone would ever consider the eggs as bad health for people, the eggs have lot of proteins which are good for people and the protein give people the energy to execrise, and that's why lot of people eat the eggs at the morning so that they can have the energy before going to work which making it part of the breakfast. That's why I think this article was too myth :)

Exactly!!! I ate eggs for breakfast almost everyday. It's good for protein... I eat eggs a lot since childhood... My blood level shows good... :dunno2:

I ate wheat roll with smoked ham and 2 poached eggs... :D mmmhhh

Exactly!!! I ate eggs for breakfast almost everyday. It's good for protein... I eat eggs a lot since childhood... My blood level shows good... :dunno2:

I ate wheat roll with smoked ham and 2 poached eggs... :D mmmhhh

Sounds good! :D

Speaking of eggs, I do like to eat eggs once in a while not everyday. Eggs give me a bad gas sometimes ahhh so I eat less eggs for breakfast. :)

Speaking of eggs, I do like to eat eggs once in a while not everyday. Eggs give me a bad gas sometimes ahhh so I eat less eggs for breakfast. :)

:giggle:

I never have problem with eggs but raw onions... I love to eat raw onions a lot but get me bad gas....and breath... :giggle:

They will say anything to get people to stop eating eggs but if we cook the eggs right way like poached them or boil them instead of frying them which is not good as it is high in fat. If people know how to do it right by eating healthy then i dont see why? but whatever.. God put chickens on earth for us to eat eggs so whatever to that.. sighs!

I love eggs especially toasted western mmmmm... it's not like you having fried eggs all the time.. no ...

Really as you know there's so many myths about food or things you should or shouldn't have... I think you just do it in moderation... Sometimes I don't even read most of the stuff they tell you... smile.. To think when my grandparents were alive, they had tons of that stuff and my grandma is now 98 years old.. so really there's no right or wrong of doing things...

If you love or like to eat, be it... noone is pulling your leg what to do lol.. smile

Same here, LOL

I just limited to eat eggs about 1 to 2 days per week, mostly on omelet.

Ehh... 6 eggs is fine, but 7 eggs isn't? :crazy:

I like eggs, but I don't eat eggs often. If you were to calculate the average based on the number of eggs I eat a year, it would likely come down to 1 egg every 3 weeks.

If I was on a low-carb diet, I still wouldn't focus on eggs too often. I would make it 1 or 2 eggs a week for breakfast. I might even have an egg or two when I eat at a salad bar (sliced egg bits for the salad), which usually happens once a month.

There's so much conflicting information that comes from research that I have a hard time believing this crap. For that reason, I prefer to listen to my Dr and I do what he recommends.

There's so much conflicting information that comes from research that I have a hard time believing this crap. For that reason, I prefer to listen to my Dr and I do what he recommends.
Yes, each person's metabolism and cholesterol level is so individual that there is no "one-size-fits-all" for dietary restrictions.

Several years agoi, it was recommended that people not eat more than 3 eggs a week. Then they backtracked at a later time and said the study was flawed and eating eggs was not a heralth risk. Then they said, okay, eat eggs, but don't eat the yolks. And then theysaid the nitrates in bacon were links to cancer. And don't cook in aluminum pots because it causes build up of toxic heavy metals in the brain leading to dementia. Some one is always coming up with something like this, andthen it is later disproved, and they find something elso to warn us about.

What do they know. All we can do is eat in moderation and live happily. we could die tmw so why worry about this?

too many things that they are warning us not to eat or eat them in moderation or whatever that is. so what do they know? next they will say DO NOT EAT? :dunno:

oh brother.. this is really annoying... :(

Several years agoi, it was recommended that people not eat more than 3 eggs a week. Then they backtracked at a later time and said the study was flawed and eating eggs was not a heralth risk. Then they said, okay, eat eggs, but don't eat the yolks. And then theysaid the nitrates in bacon were links to cancer. And don't cook in aluminum pots because it causes build up of toxic heavy metals in the brain leading to dementia. Some one is always coming up with something like this, andthen it is later disproved, and they find something elso to warn us about.
Yeah... just like water.

"You can drink as much water as you want."

"Sorry, we're wrong... 8 cups is all you need."

"Oops... 8 cups is too much!"

"It's confirmed, 8 cups is indeed what you need."

I wish they would make up their damn minds! But then again, isn't that how the whole world works? They change their minds about everything. :roll:

;)

Back