SERIOUS question for PARENTS only

Steel...CI isnt improve anything... You should know better than that. Ci - hearing aid.. they are most common. CI is an INTERNAL and Hearing aid IS an EXTERNAL.. do you know what is the difference between them?

Plus dont tell us to take a CHILL PILL(s). I think you should get one for yourself. :)

I am profound deaf and i have a hearing daughter.. Do i have a problem with that? Nope.. we both have a great communicate. For being a deaf is not A BIG PROBLEM! Because we know that we do have a lot of ability to do!.. Dont forget that!

Originally posted by eternity
Steel...CI isnt improve anything... You should know better than that. Ci - hearing aid.. they are most common. CI is an INTERNAL and Hearing aid IS an EXTERNAL.. do you know what is the difference between them?

Plus dont tell us to take a CHILL PILL(s). I think you should get one for yourself. :)

I am profound deaf and i have a hearing daughter.. Do i have a problem with that? Nope.. we both have a great communicate. For being a deaf is not A BIG PROBLEM! Because we know that we do have a lot of ability to do!.. Dont forget that!

:applause: for being HAVE A GREAT communicate between with your daughter.

so, all I am going to say is to keep it up. :D

I would prefer to let my kids to make the decisions of whether getting the CI or not, I don't want to make the decision for them myself and regret it later if they ended up not liking it.. I prefer to start them on hearing aids and put them through early intervention to improve their communication skills both orally and asl with other kids and then when they get older.. they can decide if they want it or not. Right now my 3 year old son is hoh (hard of hearing) he doesn't need CI, hears just fine with hearing aids and without, he has gone though early intervention with both oral and asl, and has improved a lot in his communication skills, and now he's attending preschool this fall. You could try with hearing aids first .. and put her in early intervention so she can meet kids like her who are deaf too and learn how to socialize with them with asl or both orally and asl. See how she does with hearing aids..Not all kids who are deaf and doesn't have a CI is behind, so I don't believe Summer will be behind from other kids.. I think she will do just fine.

What's more.. it came to my surprise that I asked few of my friends who had their kids which have CI... few of them are teenagers now, few of them around pre-teens... I asked them how was it going and how the kids feel? their answers are .. they regerted it and wish that their kids didnt have CI at early age .. because their kids are having hard time accepting their parents to make decisions/are going thru rebellions.. plus their kids wanted to go deaf school but the deaf school turned down cuz of hearing percentage.. AND.. 2 out of 14 (of parents (my friends) who had their kids CI).. ran away from their home.. :/ they said.. that parents ruined their lives...
so there are pros and cons

"C.I doesn't improve anything...?" Okay whatever that's not an fact. that's an opinon.

sheesh...i think you are just scared to improve something that would change forever but it isn't a bad change anyway...but whatever.

SCARED?

How can that BE? We are human BEING not to have a DEVICE in their BODY. Get it?

We are NORMAL. Why should we bother to have them in our HEAD, eh? WHat would it make us feel better? Leave YOU a SCAR... have a MACHINE stuck IN UR HEAD. If it doesnt work properly they will OPEN YOUR HEAD while UR skin is CUT OPEN and pull the old one and put the new one in your head.

I do not see any point to have a CI in their HEAD. Why cant we just accept for WHO we are. Should we SURGERY our body to make everything PERFECT.. We cannot .. That's who WE are and we were born THAT way. So leave it to be!

So what's the difference? our bodies work like machines too and it's not like you are even commiting SUICIDE when you being operated for an CI...and i never said that CI is perfect. It's just a powerful device to improve your hearings...it replaces your hair cells with powerful netrons that electrifies the sound waves from ANY sounds around you and it response into your ears, letting you what you hear...it's much more powerful than hearing aids, if you didn't know that. So we get a scar once we get our heads open...BIG DEAL! That's the only way to install the device in your ears, but not in your head! What if her daughter has CI and wanted to be an singer someday or something like that? That would improve her life! She would make a better living out of it with her CI but "doest improve anyting" that gotta be the lamest shit i've ever heard in my entire life...since i'm so interested in techogoly and how it has improved over the years, i don't see any NON-improvements...many has IMPROVED almost everything and I do mean EVERYTHING. But remember, i'm not telling you get her one...she's your daughter. not mine. and that's your business but i'm telling you that CI would improve her life...and if you don't believe me, i bet you havent' even tried it when you were younger.

It is not commit suicide if they have it in their head. a POWERFUL device? What about hearing aids? Are you saying a big deal if we get a SCAR from surgery after they put a device in their head? That is not a ONLY WAY. We do have our alternative whether we should have or not. What if? There is NO IF.. My daughter is hearing so end of discussion. Why dont you get CI for yourself and you can please whatever you want and we are not going to STOP YOU. Go ahead and get it in your HEAD. You can tell us what's different btwn being deaf and CI.

Being deaf is not simply being unable to hear, it is about access to communication.

Im happy for WHO I AM and why should I want to change myself if I get a CI? I can communicate and things like that.

Remember.. DEAF PEOPLE do have an ability to do... Never say they CANT DO just because they cant hear.

If my daughter is deaf.. Im glad to have her around and she d be able to communicate with me and others.

I see a lot of misinformations around on this thread. :/

That's why the parents always have hard times to make up their decisions for their child.

Let me do one at a time.

hey r keeping telling me that im wasting a time because they all KNOW its going to be a BEST chance for my daughter to get her C.I. at her young age (shes less than 1 year old now).. they say.. the earlier, the best chance she get.. if we wait til my daughter get a little older enough to make her own decision and she will miss out lof of training with C.I.

This is true. Children learns their language provided from their parents very quicky at under 2 yrs old. Improvements occur after 2 yrs old after the language has been established. The brain of the child would learn how to adapt to something new which is the CI.

the families r thinking that shes going to be way behind from all of the kids at the same age as my daughter is and think that im wasting the time

That's why I would recommend preschools. :D

Kewoole--I think your daughter is not ready to have them.. it'd better way if they just wait until when she gets older...

It defeats the purposes of having a CI.

If your boyfriend wants her to have a cochlear implant..when she gets older and she might say.. I hate it and why I have this.. it might make him feel fool if he did.

It's similar to this story of a boy hating his wheelchair ever since he got it. What's the difference? All people want to be is just to fit in...CI makes them feel unfit. Same for wheelchairs. :p

Is C.I. helping them to improve their hearing SKILLS... By put a DEVICE in near their BRAIN, eh? Machine and Human do not MIX.

CI isn't even touching the brain. :/

Its just like getting a new teeth plate if you were born without one. :p

If my daughter becomes a deaf. I will NEVER put any device in her body. Also if she wants one. she can make a wish to have it. When Im planning on get more kids... if one of those kid is deaf... I rather let my kid to make the decision...

I would like to ask you...suppose this child of yours was born with a heart defect...would you do anything to make sure this baby has a chance to live and enjoy his/her life? Even if a pacemaker was used as a device?

Steel you are being so SILLY on your THREAD! What does it mean to BE LOVE for just put a DEVICE a robot thing in someone's BODY? What if they suffer from it? What's wrong with being a deafness without a C.I. if they are having a communciate with hearing people? Also, dont tell me that we do not have any ability just because of deafness? We are being a human and only thing is hearing LOSS.. we are normal as hearing people. Did you aware that deaf people do have a better EYES than hearing people.. know why? they do depend their eyes like daily than hearing people.

I'm sorry, your statement is irrelvent to what KeWoOLeE asked for.

My good friend who is hard of hearing - she never grew up thru the oral program.. and do not have a coclear implant.. and she is doing FINE without it.

I've went through school with only an interpreter, developed oral skills, and was considered one of the brillant students. I have had CI (but doesn't wear it). However, that does not help me get a good job. There's only 3 ways I can make money...>Getting a job...Starting my own business....or Depend on SSI. An hearing person can do those first two..and even join they army, become a firefighter, do whatever without any limitation....

My point is..what I went through and learned does not help me cope without any limiations. :/

I know that CI operation is risky.

Any surgery is. There's always the risk of infections. What else is risky? Don't tell me that it is because of how close the brain is. The brain isn't even tampered with during the surgery of CI. Someone said that a surgery on tendons are more at risk than a CI surgery.

I feel that putting CI into one year old daughter is dangerous.

How exactly is it dangerous to this child's health besides the infection risk? Don't you mean the future where this child would rebell against the parents for making that decision? "I wish you didn't make me get CI, damn you to hell!" perhaps?

I think they should research more information between CI and body develop in each age. because what if baby's body with CI then grow more more with cover lot of tissues and cells to make CI trapping. that which impossible to remove or not. If that kid want remove CI then that's high risk. cuz CI is pretty close to brain with plenty of nerves around head. if kid is like 15 years old who want CI then won't develop with heavy thick tissues cover around CI like baby body.

It's not risky to have it removed. Even the nerves aren't that close. Cochlear Implant is only used inside the cochlea...where are the nerves that you were talking about??

I would remove mine if I had the money... I've been thinking about wanting to try to get my old CI removed then have the newer Clarion model inserted.

Also- you should consider what type of hearing loss does your daughter have? Does the person that gives hearing tests/make earmold/hearing aids think that CI would be good or that she would be able to hear with hearing aids. I'm not totally sure but I am guessing that *if* she has a severe-profounded hearing loss- then the CI probably would not work?

I had full profound loss of hearing. I think that your parents decided not to go through the haggle because your hearing aids work fine. Hearing aids wouldn't work for me since I hear completely nothing.

more mature, the more the body will handle the machine rather than being youth.

They did an experiment with a chimp. They got an infant chimp and put a bioscopical google and put on the chimp. 5 years later without removing the google, the chimp can see excellent because its body grew up with it. When you take off the googles, the chimp would have impaired sight. What you said is opposite of what happened with the chimp.

I'm saying that C.I. can improve your life, but i never said being deaf is helpless or whatever...you know I'm deaf too right? Well I don't have C.I. either but if i ever has a daughter...IF I has a daughter and she was born deaf, as a father to improve her life, to let her hear things before she starts to get older. sure, machines aren't always perfect, but this is EXTREME techogoly we are talking about. It's just like, beyond anything else...you know, C.I. were really big and has cords back then right? now they are wireless and smaller and even more powerful than ever. Now, if you don't want your daughter to get C.I. fine with me. I absloutely have no problem with that. She can still be in the deaf world, even if she has C.I.

I've never been rejected from the Deaf world because I had a cochlear implant. I even saw some jealousty when it came to it. I just ignore those people because they just wanted to poke at my flaws.

CI does improve your hearing. I'm deaf without CI. With CI, I can hear things. I can hear when someone starts to talk in a classroom so that's when I look up at my interpreter expecting the interpreter to sign. It works. I can even hear when my phone rings and I would run to the other room and let one of my family members know that it's ringing..CI has helped me.

CI is both Internal and External. The magnet is internal..while the processor box is external. Please do not bash and make it any worse just because of Steel's postings. It's not helping this thread...except to cause confusions.

I am profound deaf and i have a hearing daughter.. Do i have a problem with that? Nope..

That is because YOU are adapted to being deaf.

KeWoOLeE's child isn't adapted YET. Regardless of the choice getting CI for KeWoOLeE's child would be the future choice of adaption for the child.

What's more.. it came to my surprise that I asked few of my friends who had their kids which have CI... few of them are teenagers now, few of them around pre-teens... I asked them how was it going and how the kids feel? their answers are .. they regerted it and wish that their kids didnt have CI at early age .. because their kids are having hard time accepting their parents to make decisions/are going thru rebellions.. plus their kids wanted to go deaf school but the deaf school turned down cuz of hearing percentage.. AND.. 2 out of 14 (of parents (my friends) who had their kids CI).. ran away from their home.. :/ they said.. that parents ruined their lives...
so there are pros and cons

I feel that I do not regret or even cause my parents to regret their decisions. Like I said at the beginning...Education came first..Socialization came later.

"C.I doesn't improve anything...?" Okay whatever that's not an fact. that's an opinon.

It's not even an opinion nor a fact. Just misinformation.

We are NORMAL. Why should we bother to have them in our HEAD, eh? WHat would it make us feel better? Leave YOU a SCAR... have a MACHINE stuck IN UR HEAD. If it doesnt work properly they will OPEN YOUR HEAD while UR skin is CUT OPEN and pull the old one and put the new one in your head.

I think you would think differently if this child had a heart defect. You wouldn't care about the scar on this child's chest as long as there's a life to be lived normally.

I'll continue onto the next post because I reached the characters max limit.

Last edited:
SCARED?

How can that BE? We are human BEING not to have a DEVICE in their BODY. Get it?

I do not see any point to have a CI in their HEAD. Why cant we just accept for WHO we are. Should we SURGERY our body to make everything PERFECT.. We cannot .. That's who WE are and we were born THAT way. So leave it to be!

ahh.. there are more than that..
open your head.. ;yes.. even drill a hole in your skull.. :/
:ugh: too much info.. but scary.. what if the device isnt working.. they had to drill it again.. sheesh.. bleech

Heart deformed.. ofc they would like to put a device or transplant it.. But being a deaf that is different.. it isnt bad. know what? it's their choice if they want CI .. help themselves.. I wont stop them .. but they consider about it before go ahead.

Tell that to someone in a wheelchair...someone with a pacemaker...someone using prosetic limbs...and so on...

So what's the difference? our bodies work like machines too and it's not like you are even commiting SUICIDE when you being operated for an CI...and i never said that CI is perfect. It's just a powerful device to improve your hearings...it replaces your hair cells with powerful netrons that electrifies the sound waves from ANY sounds around you and it response into your ears, letting you what you hear...it's much more powerful than hearing aids, if you didn't know that. So we get a scar once we get our heads open...BIG DEAL! That's the only way to install the device in your ears, but not in your head! What if her daughter has CI and wanted to be an singer someday or something like that? That would improve her life! She would make a better living out of it with her CI but "doest improve anyting" that gotta be the lamest shit i've ever heard in my entire life...since i'm so interested in techogoly and how it has improved over the years, i don't see any NON-improvements...many has IMPROVED almost everything and I do mean EVERYTHING. But remember, i'm not telling you get her one...she's your daughter. not mine. and that's your business but i'm telling you that CI would improve her life...and if you don't believe me, i bet you havent' even tried it when you were younger.

I am glad that you do have the facts straight. CIs would not be considered better than a hearing aid though. Not for a HoH person.

Being deaf is not simply being unable to hear, it is about access to communication.

No. It's much more than just communication. Go and find someone who is deaf who has perfect oral skills. Where is communication problems? What about someone who can communicate with a paper and pen? I don't see anything wrong with communications there? How do you improve verbal communications if your ears don't work? You don't..without a hearing aid. CI is a hearing aid. CI helps you to hear. Period.

Im happy for WHO I AM and why should I want to change myself if I get a CI? I can communicate and things like that.

I believe you share the same feelings with me. The reason I don't wear CIs is because I am already adapted as a Deaf person. I don't want to start my life all over again to learn how to live like a hearing person. You don't...clearly.

Remember.. DEAF PEOPLE do have an ability to do... Never say they CANT DO just because they cant hear.

I'll tell you something. I bet my ass that you cannot even hear me saying "Honey You are beautiful" with me standing behind you. I just told you something that you can't do because you can't hear. I bet if you had CI since you were a baby...you would have heard what I exactly said. :p

I just did this to clear up the informations around here...

Heart deformed.. ofc they would like to put a device or transplant it.. But being a deaf that is different.. it isnt bad. know what? it's their choice if they want CI .. help themselves.. I wont stop them .. but they consider about it before go ahead.

Being deaf is not any different than a physical disability. Your body would adapt to it.

If I had my index finger cut off by accident....I would be using my middle finger to point around...and other people would get mad because they would think I'm flipping them off....my body adapted to it...not theirs. :shrugs:

Originally posted by MsGiglz
ahh.. there are more than that..
open your head.. ;yes.. even drill a hole in your skull.. :/
:ugh: too much info.. but scary.. what if the device isnt working.. they had to drill it again.. sheesh.. bleech

How do you feel about a drill in your mouth to use on teeth? You know how hard the denist has to press hard to drill on your teeth? What if he slips off and it goes into the back of my throat and severing my spinal cord? :/

mmm wanna to debate ?

That is DIFFERENT.. teeth has to repair but PUT a DEVICE in ? for being a deaf.. its not like YOU can *switch* to turn it ON that u can hear anything..

I get a fillling .. it hast o be like this way.. before u d get ur teeth like ROOOOOOOOTTTTTEN.. that is important thing to keep ur teeth clean .. but HEAR?

Summary of opinions against cochlear implants

Several implanted children derive little or no benefit from the implantation even after long auditory therapy, so they do not in fact gain enough access to language at the critical age for language acquisition using the oral method.
Due to the length of therapy, some children, who might benefit from CI, may realize the benefit only after they passed the critical age for language acquisition using the oral method.
Invasive surgical procedure, which has its risks.
Possible risks include dizziness and very mild form of eczema.
People who are implanted face risk from very strong magnetic fields (due either to pulling of magnetizable metals by the magnetic field or to induction currents from time-varying magnetic fields). Thus they cannot safely work at jobs which require working with very strong magnetic fields (such as practicing some fields of experimental physics).
The MRI non-invasive medical examination method is dangerous to people with implants, due to its usage of very strong magnetic fields.
The long-range Safety of the procedure in children was not conclusively established, especially the long-range effects, and in particular, the effect of the child's growth on positioning of the implant in the cochlea.
Implanting a child may cause his parents and teachers to neglect more traditional (and successful) methods of deaf education, in the mistaken belief that the child can be considered to be "hearing".
The implanted child is being 'married' for life to a group of medical experts who will monitor his cochlear implant operation and adjust his speech processor.
The implanted child would have the non-healthy self-concept of having had something wrong with his body, which was (partially, because cochlear implants are not perfect substitute to normal hearing) fixed - rather than having the healthy self-concept of a proud Deaf.
An implanted child is liable to being labeled or teased, due to his being special in having an implant in his ear and carrying a signal processor on his person.
(Information is up to date as of November 1993.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statements in favor of cochlear implants
It is possible to overcome several negative after-effects of cochlear implants by the following means:

Sensitivity to various electrical and magnetic fields - by using non-ferrous materials in the implanted electrode, and by using the right kind of geometries.
Psychological effects of implants - by ensuring that the implanted child and his family receive psychological counselling.
Disappointment - by ensuring that one does not expect too much from the implant.
Inability to benefit from the operation - by careful screening of candidates for cochlear implanting, and not implanting those who have very little chance of benefitting.
Malfunctioning electrode - by explanting the electrode and re-implanting another electrode (it is possible!).
Ensure that the people involved are well-informed and can give informed consent to the procedure. The people involved should be familiar with both sides of the situation.

RISK

General Anesthesia is always a risk.
Surgery. No matter how slight, all surgery carries a risk factor.
Risk that the CI child will not learn spoken English well. Learning spoken English is extremely difficult for any deaf child, regardless of method of intervention.
Risk that such child, in turn, will not learn ASL well. Demands in terms of time and effort may unwittingly preclude mastery of ANY language.
Risk in delay in accepting deafness on part of child and family.
Risk in the unknown. To use an argument others have advanced before, Dow-Corning quit making silicone breast implants.

PARENTS LACK INFORMATION

Deafness is not life-threatening. There is no evidence that the implant must be done while the child is young. The surgery is not life-saving.
Decisions are made by families wishing the child to be "normal."
The child may turn out to be neither culturally deaf nor culturally hearing. There are plenty of living examples.

MEANINGFUL EVIDENCE LACKING

There is no evidence of material benefit to the deaf population.
There is no evidence that speech perception is enhanced.
There is no evidence that the implant enhances acquisition of language.
There is no evidence that children with the implant will enjoy greater educational success.
There is even evidence that, in profoundly deaf children, conventional amplification enhances speech perception better than the CI.

ETHICALLY WRONG

Invasive surgery should be reserved for life-threatening situations, not simple life enhancements.
Offered the choice, knowledgable adults overwhelmingly reject the implant.
Decisions are made for defenseless children when long-term effects are still unknown.
The surgery makes a life-time commitment for the child.

There's more information to read:

http://www.zak.co.il/deaf-info/old/ci-opinions.html

good post there Heather!!!

(c/p'ed) People who are implanted face risk from very strong magnetic fields (due either to pulling of magnetizable metals by the magnetic field or to induction currents from time-varying magnetic fields). Thus they cannot safely work at jobs which require working with very strong magnetic fields (such as practicing some fields of experimental physics).

i know a few ppl who has CI and are *argh* at their parents for having them have CI so young and now are unable to go thru metal detectors and other related such items for security purposes :( i feel bad for them cuz theyre so unable to enjoy the events cuz they have to get thru the security measures

Originally posted by ~Heather~
Summary of opinions against cochlear implants

~~snip~~
(Information is up to date as of November 1993.)

~~snip~~
There's more information to read:

http://www.zak.co.il/deaf-info/old/ci-opinions.html

Again that is Old news There are more techolongy now.

Yes I do have CI. I love my CI I have had it for 2 years I will write more sometime this week since I am not feeling good so I don't want to get people think I messed up due of My brain isn't workin' properly :ugh:

Wendy ;)

watching this debate on ci's and kids seesawing thru this thread makes me think about my child.

if y'all think about ci's on kids are much controversial, I'm in a much harder place between a rock since finding out my daughter will be born with spina bifida. That's worse than having a deaf kid.

If she turns out to be deaf no ci until she makes a decision to have one if she wants it, but her spina bifida I have many avenues to ponder than the basic ASL/oralism/ci/no ci debate.....She's going to need a LOT help than the average Deafie kid like how to walk, stand up, multiple surgery, wheelchair, hydrocephlaus (water in brain). She cant make the decisions related to her spina bifida herself at a young age.

Back