SEE is a language... It's English...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your link goes to an abstract.:roll:

You would like me to hack past the Journal's subscriber access so you can see the full article? I can't do that: don't have the technical know-how and it would be unethical. You can read the lengthy abstract, purchase access to the full article from my link, or if you have any affiliation with an academic program, use your student or alumni library privileges.

I've posted links to my copies of full text pdfs of all the Journal articles I've referenced in the past, you can see the links in that previous thread, but the Journal has asked me not to do so any longer, to avoid copyright restrictions, and to remove access to my links.

No, I don't think anyone is asking you to hack the Journal.

This discussion is just going back to FJ's post to have us check out a study (just a few posts above), but it can't be accessed (whether hers or yours).

Kind of a moot point to post stuff if it can't be accessed fully.

Okay, I have downloaded 7 articles and requested 3 more through interlibrary loan. Nice to know that we are finally getting down to brass tacks regarding research. Be back with some very interesting information.

No, I don't think anyone is asking you to hack the Journal.

This discussion is just going back to FJ's post to have us check out a study (just a few posts above), but it can't be accessed (whether hers or yours).

Kind of a moot point to post stuff if it can't be accessed fully.

I didn't have to hack the Journal. I can get it with my credentials.

But my question is, if they can't get into the journal, are they reading the full text of these articles they keep talking about?

Wow again. I miss so much when I don't pay attention.

Okay, I have downloaded 7 articles and requested 3 more through interlibrary loan. Nice to know that we are finally getting down to brass tacks regarding research. Be back with some very interesting information.

I think the info that you'll provide will get discounted by some. On the other hand there are those of us who are intersted in what you have to post..

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
faire_jour said:
my apologies if the name of the article, the author and the journal were not enough for you to find the article.

i would love for you to share as many of the articles you have here as possible.

What Really Matters in the Early Literacy Development of Deaf Children

I can pull up an abstract with your information, but that isn't the same thing.

Have you read the whole thing?

yes. The entire article is available to read online. Everyone here can go and read it for free. If you get to the abstract, go to the side and click on "full text" and read it.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

http://jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2007/06/12/deafed.emn020.full

Wirelessly posted

yes. The entire article is available to read online. Everyone here can go and read it for free. If you get to the abstract, go to the side and click on "full text" and read it.

http://jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2007/06/12/deafed.emn020.full

"Content not found" From your link. You can read the full text of other articles that site the one in your abstract, but there does not seem to be a way to the full text of your abstract itself.

Wirelessly posted

when you go to the abstract you don't see a link that says "full text" both for a pdf as well as html?

I said people here "seem to dislike English" which was my perception. I was villified because I chose to use English (SEE) instead of ASL. Everyone was all up in arms about the fact that I didn't use ASL first and I must be an "Audist" since I place such "high value on English".

The fact is I was in a much better position to provide my son with access to language through SEE because I was already fluent in English. All I had to do was learn the signs to give him complete access to it.

I think we can all agree that the time for acquiring language is in the first 5 years of life, and I didn't want my son to miss out. I also didn't want to haphazardly provide him with "access" to a language I did not know.

I made a point to work hard, and fully commit to learning the signs to support the spoken language surrounding my son.

It had nothing to do with whether or not I "value ASL". It had everything to do with the fact that in the early years I would have been a poor language model for him. Chances are good had I made a different choice, he wouldn't have done as well as he has.

Your personal views are incultured.

So are ours.

It becomes impossible to fully understand the other person's point of view because we do not fully understand our own.

This reminds me of an argument between some Indians (Native American Variety) who were relatives of mine and a white man who was also related by blood.

White guy, "Don't you even understand what the White Man has given you? Before we came along you lived in Tee Pees and chased buffalo."

Indian, "We were free to go where we chose."

White guy, "But now you have cars. You can go clear across the United States. You live in real houses. You have hot and cold running water, gas stoves, and radios."

Indian, "You can't hunt buffalo from a car, and the buffalo are all gone."

White guy, "You are just being obtuse and refuse to admit all you owe to the White Man."

I was very young and I liked the word obtuse. I have used it ever since.

Wirelessly posted

when you go to the abstract you don't see a link that says "full text" both for a pdf as well as html?

No. I can only find links to other articles that site the one from the abstract.

Okay, from the first article:

Further, the trajectory established during the emergent literacy stage continues well into the school years both for hearing children (Foster& Miller, 2007; Stanovich, 1992) and for deaf and hard of hearing children(Colin, Magnan, Ecalle, & Leybaert,2007), implicating preschool literacy instruction as a key factor in promoting better literacy outcomes.

Nothing about specificity to oral language or phonological awareness. Applies to preschool instruction in ASL as well.

Bingham studied 60 mothers and their 4-year-old children using various measures of literacy interaction and outcomes and found that the quality of children's home literacy environments and mother-child joint book-reading interactions were both related to the overall development of the children's literacy skills. Similar outcomes are found with the early literacy environment of deaf and hard of hearing children (Aram, Most, & Simon, 2008).

Again, nothing regarding the specificity of English or oral language. Early literacy environment refers to interactions in ASL as well.

When children engage in literacy-rich play, they are incorporating highly contextualized, meaningful, and familiar concepts from stories or from life to support the language used during play. This helps them to understand concepts better and to use language meaningfully. Researchers have identified literacy-rich play as an important component of emergent literacy (Christie & Enz, 1992; Vukelich, 1994).

Notice it says "language" not "English" or "spoken language". Language refers to ASL, as well.

On the one hand, emergent literacy for some, particularly those with deaf parents, develops similarly to that of hearing children (Williams, 2004). These young children engage in rich interactions around books and writing activities. On the other hand, most deaf and hard ofhearing children are at risk of delays in literacy development (Mayer, 2007).

As the result of early languge exposure, not as the result of early English exposure, or early spoken lanuage exposure. Likewise, delays for most come from the lack of early language exposure as in deaf of hearing.

However, Swanwick and Watson (2005) pointed out that there are many similarities between the emergent literacy processes of oral children and signing children. They identified these similarities, as well as the differences, suggesting that early literacy instruction for deaf and hard of hearing children should account for both the similarities and the differences.
Five factors have been identified in the literature (see review) as being critical to emergent literacy: parent involvement, a language-rich environment, storybook reading, a supportive classroom environment, and explicit instruction.

Again, nothing to indicate dependency on oral language or English to achieve the environment necessary to emergent literacy.

Further research is needed to determine the contribution that each of these makes to the overall emergent literacy process. Most likely this involves a combination of environmental factors, typical instructional factors, and a set of instructional factors unique to the classrooms of children who are deaf or hard of hearing.

And, once again,nothing specific to oral language or English exposure.

Conner, C., Easterbrooks,S. and Lederberg, A. (2010). Contributions of the emergent litercy environment to literacy outcomes for young children who are deaf. American Annals of the Deaf. 155(4).

Discuss away.

Please note that this research is only a year old. It was done using empirical methods. This goes right back to what I stated in post 725.

I said people here "seem to dislike English" which was my perception. I was villified because I chose to use English (SEE) instead of ASL. Everyone was all up in arms about the fact that I didn't use ASL first and I must be an "Audist" since I place such "high value on English".

The fact is I was in a much better position to provide my son with access to language through SEE because I was already fluent in English. All I had to do was learn the signs to give him complete access to it.

I think we can all agree that the time for acquiring language is in the first 5 years of life, and I didn't want my son to miss out. I also didn't want to haphazardly provide him with "access" to a language I did not know.

I made a point to work hard, and fully commit to learning the signs to support the spoken language surrounding my son.

It had nothing to do with whether or not I "value ASL". It had everything to do with the fact that in the early years I would have been a poor language model for him. Chances are good had I made a different choice, he wouldn't have done as well as he has.

One problem I see here..

And it is not your fault...

You, and you are not alone...

Are trying to comply with an "audist" albeit racist, ethnic, language, attitude in the United States toward all Non-English speakers ...

Somehow in the U.S. it does not matter how literate you are in your native language, or languages, and this includes English...

If you cannot read and write English well you are considered ILLITERATE!

The schools promote it, SAT promotes it, Even though the U.S. does not have an "official" language.

While I love both reading and writing and I can manipulate the English language, both written and spoken, better than most -- I believe this is an UNFAIR attitude.

It places a wrongful burden of proof on the individual whereby they HAVE to PROVE they are intelligent and they are only given one method of doing so -- Skill in the English language, especially written, as defined by the grammarians.

I remember as a child living in a mixed race neighborhood. The Black people were considered illiterate because they were not as well versed in English grammar, and did not have as extensive a vocabulary, as the Whites who judged them...

But in EVERY VERBAL argument...

The Black people won.

My conclusion = Skill in English and knowledge of grammar ... as defined by Grammarians, SAT, etc.

Is NOT an indicator of intelligence and should NOT be used as though it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back