SEE is a language... It's English...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realize you were waiting for some explanation. There is a gap in exposure that many deaf kids have when it comes to learning to read and write in English. Unlike typical hearing kids, many deaf kids just starting to learn to read and write have not previously been exposed to the English language -- typical hearing kids are exposed to spoken English: the grammar, the vocabulary, the syntax, etc. for some 4 or 5 years before they begin to write and read in the language. That lack of early exposure to English is what most Deaf ed experts point to as a cause of literacy issues, which they try to fill using various teaching approaches, including visual phonics, speechreading techniques, English-based sign systems, scaffolding approaches.

I didn't speak until I was 5 years old, didn't learn to read until I was 7 years old, and didn't learn to do math until 8 years old....and now, I ended up just fine today :) :)

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I'd say that you did better than just fine. :)

Didn't realize you were waiting for some explanation. There is a gap in exposure that many deaf kids have when it comes to learning to read and write in English. Unlike typical hearing kids, many deaf kids just starting to learn to read and write have not previously been exposed to the English language -- typical hearing kids are exposed to spoken English: the grammar, the vocabulary, the syntax, etc. for some 4 or 5 years before they begin to write and read in the language. That lack of early exposure to English is what most Deaf ed experts point to as a cause of literacy issues, which they try to fill using various teaching approaches, including visual phonics, speechreading techniques, English-based sign systems, scaffolding approaches.

The gap in exposure is to Language, not English. When a child has native exposure to ASL, as in Deaf of Deaf, they are able to transfer that native aquisition to the learning of English.

Most deaf kids of hearing parents have a gap in acquisition because they are not exposed to any language that is accessible at all. They then develop gaps in their ability to transfer natively acquired skills. Therefore they show gaps in any language learned, ASL or English. These gaps are what create the language delays seen in deaf children.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:

The gap in exposure is to Language, not English. When a child has native exposure to ASL, as in Deaf of Deaf, they are able to transfer that native aquisition to the learning of English.

Most deaf kids of hearing parents have a gap in acquisition because they are not exposed to any language that is accessible at all. They then develop gaps in their ability to transfer natively acquired skills. Therefore they show gaps in any language learned, ASL or English. These gaps are what create the language delays seen in deaf children.

there is research that shows that even children who use ASL from the start struggle with reading UNLESS they have experience with using English in a face to face way.

check out: "what really matters in the early literacy development in deaf children" by connie mayer. J. Deaf stud. Deaf educ (2007)

the full text is available to read online.

Wirelessly posted

there is research that shows that even children who use ASL from the start struggle with reading UNLESS they have experience with using English in a face to face way.

check out: "what really matters in the early literacy development in deaf children" by connie mayer. J. Deaf stud. Deaf educ (2007)

Which issue? There are 4 issues from 2007. Your citiation needs to be formatted properly.

So, you are putting one article against all of the volumes of research that state what was stated in the above post?

Tell me, FJ...exactly how does one prevent a child from being exposed to English?

I'll discuss the article when you provide enough information for it to be accessed from the journal archives.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

Which issue? There are 4 issues from 2007. Your citiation needs to be formatted properly.

So, you are putting one article against all of the volumes of research that state what was stated in the above post?

Tell me, FJ...exactly how does one prevent a child from being exposed to English?

I'll discuss the article when you provide enough information for it to be accessed from the journal archives.

my apologies if the name of the article, the author and the journal were not enough for you to find the article.

i would love for you to share as many of the articles you have here as possible.

Thanks! I'll read through tonight, don't think I've read that one. This article, snipped below, from last year's Journal of Deaf Studies provides a whole list of research supporting the same thing: early exposure to English (not just language) is a predictor of reading / writing ability.

Reading and Spelling Abilities of Deaf Adolescents With Cochlear Implants and Hearing Aids
Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education
Margaret Harris* and Emmanouela Terlektsi
Oxford Brookes University
Received March 16, 2010.

The gap between deaf children and hearing peers tends to widen with age (Marschark & Harris, 1996) and so difficulties become more apparent as children progress through school. A recent study (Kyle & Harris, 2010) found a mean delay of 1 year in the reading scores of a group of 8-year-old deaf children: This had increased to a 3-year delay at age 11 years. A comparable cohort of 14-year-old deaf children (Harris & Moreno, 2004) showed an average reading delay of over 4 years. ...

In order to understand why literacy is so challenging for many deaf children, it is pertinent to consider the skills that underpin learning to read an alphabetic script, such as English, for hearing children. Two key components—knowledge of spoken English and phonological awareness—have been found to underpin the development of literacy. Oral language and vocabulary predict reading development (Bowey & Patel, 1988; Dickinson, McCabe, Anastasopoulos, Peisner-Feinberg, & Poe, 2003); and the ability to identify and manipulate phonemes within words—core aspects of phonological awareness—have been shown to be key to early reading success for hearing children (Muter, Hulme, Snowling, & Stevenson, 2004).

The emerging picture of predictors of deaf children's literacy suggests that broadly similar skills are important although there are some notable differences. As with hearing children, the most compelling data come from longitudinal studies that have examined factors predicting reading outcomes over a period of 1 or more years. One such study (Harris & Beech, 1998) found that, between the ages of 5 and 7 years, speech intelligibility, phonological awareness, and language comprehension predicted reading development. In a study of 6-year-old French children, early phonological awareness skills, including rhyme judgment and rhyme generation, predicted the reading progress made over 1 year (Colin, Magnan, Ecalle, & Leybaert, 2007). A recent study (Kyle & Harris, 2010) examined reading progress over a 3-year period, from the age of 7 years. Although most children showed reading delays at the end of the study, those with better vocabulary and speechreading skills at age 7 years exhibited less severe delays. This latter finding was consistent with the results of a comparison between matched groups of good and poor deaf readers at age 8 (Harris & Moreno, 2006), which showed a significant difference in speechreading ability in favor of the better readers. All these studies, with the exception of Colin et al. (2007), assessed deaf children from a variety of educational settings so these findings are not specific to preferred mode of communication. Indeed, knowledge of spoken English and speechreading skills appear to be as important for children who sign and for those whose education is predominantly oral. ...

Wirelessly posted

my apologies if the name of the article, the author and the journal were not enough for you to find the article.

i would love for you to share as many of the articles you have here as possible.

Of course its not enough. You need the volume to fish it out of archives.:roll:

I've shared my research many times over. By providing complete citations, through direct link, and by emailing copies to many members.

Thanks! I'll read through tonight, don't think I've read that one. This article, snipped below, from last year's Journal of Deaf Studies provides a whole list of research supporting the same thing: early exposure to English (not just language) is a predictor of reading / writing ability.

So, all you can provide is an abstract? Doesn't do much good.

So, with that research, it suggests ASL may be not good start if deaf and hard of hearing children wouldn't learn very much if they just sign with ASL. I re-read it and nowhere in the article mentions visual manuals like ASLE. Go figures. It is all about speech and listen that deaf and hard of hearing children should learn...

From what was provided, the following offers greater explanation of the chosen bolded sections by the poster:

The emerging picture of predictors of deaf children's literacy suggests that broadly similar skills are important although there are some notable differences
In order to understand why literacy is so challenging for many deaf children, it is pertinent to consider the skills that underpin learning to read an alphabetic script, such as English, for hearing children. Two key components—knowledge of spoken English and phonological awareness—have been found to underpin the development of literacy. Oral language and vocabulary predict reading development (Bowey & Patel, 1988; Dickinson, McCabe, Anastasopoulos, Peisner-Feinberg, & Poe, 2003); and the ability to identify and manipulate phonemes within words—core aspects of phonological awareness—have been shown to be key to early reading success for hearing children (Muter, Hulme, Snowling, & Stevenson, 2004).

The emerging picture of predictors of deaf children's literacy suggests that broadly similar skills are important although there are some notable differences.

Although most children showed reading delays at the end of the study, those with better vocabulary and speechreading skills at age 7 years exhibited less severe delays. This latter finding was consistent with the results of a comparison between matched groups of good and poor deaf readers at age 8 (Harris & Moreno, 2006), which showed a significant difference in speechreading ability in favor of the better readers.

So, all you can provide is an abstract? Doesn't do much good.

Hmm, well, I've provided the title, author, date, publication, long quotes and a link to the article itself, as well as a reference to the original thread in which I had previously posted the full text pdfs (before taking them down a few months later at the request of the Journal). Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Hmm, well, I've provided the title, author, date, publication, long quotes and a link to the article itself, as well as a reference to the original thread in which I had previously posted the full text pdfs (before taking them down a few months later at the request of the Journal). Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Your link goes to an abstract.:roll:

I'll use my credentials to access the full text. Looks like that is the only way to get anything other than an abstract.

Hang on folks. Am pulling more recent research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back