SCOTUS decision on Prop 8

Just because there are some people who are African-American and dislike the racism/heterosexism or discrimination comparison - does not make the actual comparison invalid.

ladysolitary, awesome:hug: I'm so happy for you that your family was supportive! First person I came out to in my family was my beloved aunt, who marched in the 60's. First thing she said was - I love you - and she kept on saying that. Then I came out as bi to my then-boyfriend <college; now husband> and as time went on, to my parents. Everyone was variously ok/great.

Shel :)

I like how we have so many supporters for equal rights here.

My husband is not. He is thrilled that people in the GLBT community are finally getting the same opportunities as black people did during the civil rights movement.

She didn't say all. But Reba is correct. Polls show overwhelmingly that Blacks are against gay marriage. I don't think many of them would take kindly to a comparison to the civil rights movement. Such a comparison dismisses the horrible struggle that African-Americans had to go through. African-American's were treated poorly at every single element of life.

She didn't say all. But Reba is correct. Polls show overwhelmingly that Blacks are against gay marriage. I don't think many of them would take kindly to a comparison to the civil rights movement. Such a comparison dismisses the horrible struggle that African-Americans had to go through. African-American's were treated poorly at every single element of life.

I'm not sure about how "overwhelmingly" defined.

Until recently, blacks have been less supportive of same-sex marriage than whites. According to Pew polls conducted in 2011, 49 percent of whites favored same-sex marriage along with 36 percent of blacks. But in their latest poll, there was not much difference in the views of blacks and whites.

In an Edison Research exit poll, 51 percent of black voters supported recognizing same-sex marriage in their states and 41 percent were opposed. Among whites, 47 percent were in favor and 49 percent were opposed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/us/justices-consider-same-sex-marriage-cases-for-docket.html?_r=0

There are tons of polls that say various things. But 70% of blacks supported Prop 8. Even if you poll were accurate it is likely a small % that would support a comparison of gay marriage to the civil rights movement. I am certain most would be offended by such a comparison.

Prop 8 was 2008 - there are many people changed their stance on same sex marriage.

I have no idea about gay marriage to civil rights movement, however some members have opinion about comparison. If you want know about my opinion - the gay marriage is part of civil rights.

Prop 8 was 2008 - there are many people changed their stance on same sex marriage.

I have no idea about gay marriage to civil rights movement, however some members have opinion about comparison. If you want know about my opinion - the gay marriage is part of civil rights.

You are entitled to your opinion, I guess. That is sure dismissive of the African-American struggle though.

You are entitled to your opinion, I guess. That is sure dismissive of the African-American struggle though.

Um no it's not. If you read up on the GLB struggle, we went through quite a lot of the same things!

Um no it's not. If you read up on the GLB struggle, we went through quite a lot of the same things!
Really? GLB slaves? GLB not allowed to vote? GLB sitting in the backs of buses? GLB not allowed to use the same water fountains, restrooms, schools, motels, or diners? GLB forced to sit in theater balconies only? GLB restricted to low-income jobs? GLB not allowed to move into straight neighborhoods? GLB living in ghettos? Really?

Really? GLB slaves? GLB not allowed to vote? GLB sitting in the backs of buses? GLB not allowed to use the same water fountains, restrooms, schools, motels, or diners? GLB forced to sit in theater balconies only? GLB restricted to low-income jobs? GLB not allowed to move into straight neighborhoods? GLB living in ghettos? Really?

LGBT has different mistreatment - they were discriminated at job, denied the public accommodation, CPS/LEO take adopted child away from couple, victimized by hate crime (murder, assault, battery), previously criminalized by government - sodomy (got struck down by US Supreme Court about 10 years ago), discriminated by landlord/realtor by denied the housing, denied the marriage by government and unnecessary police raid in gay bars or gay owned businesses.

I don't know much about the issue but i do know who someone else marries does not affect me one bit. The way i see it if it doesn't affect me what right do i have to be against it (i could care less if someone is gay anyway). I am glad for the ruling as it is a win for liberty and the persuit of happiness.

Back