SCOTUS decision on Prop 8

I can't speak for the other armed services but Hubby (TCS) tells me that he never saw or heard about any physical gay bashing in the Navy. He served on several ships and duty stations, from 1972 until 1993. He served with Vietnam veterans and draftees (he was a draftee himself). He said that when anyone suspected that a shipmate was gay they pretty much just did their jobs and led separate social lives. They didn't report on them unless they did something sexually inappropriate. The same for my experience with lesbian Navy women. I served from 1970 to 1995. There were lesbian women serving also. We worked together but socialized separately. As long as they didn't try anything sexually inappropriate, then that was their life and business.

Oh wow, I think prior to DADT, the gay people were banned from joining the military and they required to answer if they are gay or not.

My father retired from Marines before DADT kicked in and he didn't recall about any gay servicemen during his time.

Right, and there is "Don't ask, Don't Tell" policy has been in place for several years til recently the US allows gay/lesbian to serve openly. I can't speak for what other country's military service is and how they are treated.

I can't speak for the other armed services but Hubby (TCS) tells me that he never saw or heard about any physical gay bashing in the Navy. He served on several ships and duty stations, from 1972 until 1993. He served with Vietnam veterans and draftees (he was a draftee himself). He said that when anyone suspected that a shipmate was gay they pretty much just did their jobs and led separate social lives. They didn't report on them unless they did something sexually inappropriate. The same for my experience with lesbian Navy women. I served from 1970 to 1995. There were lesbian women serving also. We worked together but socialized separately. As long as they didn't try anything sexually inappropriate, then that was their life and business.

Oh wow, I think prior to DADT, the gay people were banned from joining the military and they required to answer if they are gay or not.
There were a lot of things that military people weren't supposed to do or be but that doesn't mean they answered truthfully to every question on the enlistment form.

To be honest, neither TCS not I remember all the questions that were on the enlistment forms. We just remember most of the questions were about political affiliations (anything communist) or groups such as the KKK or Weathermen, or gangs. The other category was having foreign relatives or spouses.

On the other hand, if a guy was drafted and wanted to avoid military service, he could voluntarily state that he was homosexual and be reclassified 4F.

My father retired from Marines before DADT kicked in and he didn't recall about any gay servicemen during his time.
Probably because they kept to themselves about their personal lives.

Yes! And not only that. African-Americans had no choice. There was nothing they could do about the color of their skin. Oppression against blacks held them back in schools thus limiting their future prospects, they were limited in the work place which slowed advancement AND limited in what they could pass on to their children. What happened to blacks affected their families for generations...they are still trying to catch up in some areas. Gays have suffered nothing like that. The gay movement has a history of trying to leech onto other movements to gain support. One obvious example is adding the "T" to the movement which most psychologists will tell you is vastly different than anything "GLB." I'm appalled that some are willing to dismiss the struggle of African Americans so easily.

WTF?!?!??!?!?! Sorry, but GLB people don't have a choice in who they're attracted to either......And if you're out in the workplace you DO suffer MAJOR discrimination, especially if you're in a consevraitve state. The things that blacks vs glbs have gone through may not be exactly the same....but the attitude behind it IS the same!

WTF?!?!??!?!?! Sorry, but GLB people don't have a choice in who they're attracted to either......And if you're out in the workplace you DO suffer MAJOR discrimination, especially if you're in a consevraitve state. The things that blacks vs glbs have gone through may not be exactly the same....but the attitude behind it IS the same!

We will have to agree to disagree.

IMO

1) Yes gay people have a choice. They can choose their behavior and they can chose what to divulge about their proclivities. African-Americans had no choice regarding the color of their skin. None at all.

2) The gay marriage movement in no way reaches the struggle of African-Americans during the civil rights movement. No sane person believes that.

Here's what I don't understand, why are we constantly catigorizing glbt people, african-americans, mexicans, indians, women? Can we all just freaking agree that we all have one thing in common? we are ALL human and deserve to be treated as such.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Here's what I don't understand, why are we constantly catigorizing glbt people, african-americans, mexicans, indians, women? Can we all just freaking agree that we all have one thing in common? we are ALL human and deserve to be treated as such.

Exactly. I could care less if someone is gay or whatever. I treat everyone the way they treat me.

Conservatives brace for `marriage revolution' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Wow, the government went after business owners because of discrimination against gay couples but... I believe that business owners with belief objection are free to not make any wedding stuff, related to gay marriage.

I don't want anyone who against gay marriage to serve in my wedding.

Some gay couples are very crazy with discrimination, such as telling government and media.

i dont know problem.if gay join army fight for country i dont even know why question needs be asked in first place

Yes!

Back