Schools vs. Schools Debate

Public School, Private School, or Homeschool?

• I am favor in public schools.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • I am favor in private schools.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I am favor in homeschools.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I am oppose to public schools.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am oppose to private schools.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I am oppose to homeschools.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I support each parent's choice for his/her child's education.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I support all public, private, and home schools.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I don't know/I am not sure.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Home schooling these days doesn't mean it's just mom sitting at the kitchen table with the kids and an abacus. There are various methods of home teaching. Some parents pool their abilities and exchange their expertise with each other. Most use professionally compiled curricula. Some use DVD or satellite classroom instruction combined with email and telephone instructional support from accredited schools. They take the same annual state assesment exams. Home schools are not Abe Lincoln cyphering by candle light in a log cabin. :lol:

Hmm... I noticed some more AD'ers are oppose to private schools or homeschooling.

I wonder, why?

Probably due to the societal's view of private schools/homeschooling as an elitist attitude.

Remember private schools do offer scholarships to offset the tuition.

Secondly--I'm homeschooled and it wasn't because of my parents wanting us to be "different" from everyone else. It was because that was what the situation called for.

"It was because that was what the situation called for."

Exactly.

My daughter and grandsons get more "socializing" in home school than I got in public school. Just because students are surrounded by lots of other kids doesn't mean they are having positive interactions with them.[/QUOTE]

That I agree with.

I wouldnt homeschool my kids not because of all the myths and stereotyping around them...I just dont think I can handle teaching a 3 year old and an 11 year old! :lol:

Also, I cant afford it anyway..need a job so I teach other people's kids. :D

That's why I support parental choice. Some people prefer public school, some prefer private school, some prefer home school. The parents should be able to choose because one size does not fit all.

That's why I support parental choice. Some people prefer public school, some prefer private school, some prefer home school. The parents should be able to choose because one size does not fit all.

What do u think of the private schools that are elists?

How could a child learn to develop her/his social skills without contact outside and learn what wrong and right... etc when a child depend on parent all the time ?

How can the homeschool parent teach EVERYTHING when the children have 5 or 6 teachers a day at public/private/boarding school?
A very common misconception. Parents enroll their kids in many "extracurricular activities" such as Boy/Girl Scout, sports, and many more.

I strong beleive that certified teachers are the one who educate students.
despite of certified teachers in here.... our education system is completely broken and failing.... can i say EPIC FAIL? I'd yank my kids out of that and homeschool mine.

A very common misconception. Parents enroll their kids in many "extracurricular activities" such as Boy/Girl Scout, sports, and many more.

despite of certified teachers in here.... our education system is completely broken and failing.... can i say EPIC FAIL? I'd yank my kids out of that and homeschool mine.

The big problem doesnt lie with the teachers...it is the lack of support and funding.

Sure there are some lousy teachers but I think a majority of them are talented but are restricted to teach to test because of NCLB.

I respect the parents what they beleive the best for their children but I feel that all children deserve quality education. That's why I'm for public, private or boarding school because they have certified teacher but I make sure that there're good environment background (atmopshere).

It's not just lack of certified teacher but child's lack of socialization as well.

How could a child learn to develop her/his social skills without contact outside and learn what wrong and right... etc when a child depend on parent all the time ?

How can the homeschool parent teach EVERYTHING when the children have 5 or 6 teachers a day at public/private/boarding school?

I strong beleive that certified teachers are the one who educate students.

All what I have opinion.

Germany and US are very different when come with education, especially homeschool and most homeschool are very effective when any public school is bad or can't afford to attend at private school.

In elementary school, they got only 1 teacher to teach their children all day, unlike middle and high school have more than 1 teacher to teach per day but high school with block schedule have 4 teachers (equal to 4 classes) per day.

I will never to put my future child in public school if they are failed or bad, even if can't afford to put in private school then homeschool will my only choice, however I wouldn't want live in bad area with crime infested that where public school are terrible.

Hate to say, not all certified teachers are good, even there's some un-certified teachers are great.

Germany and US are very different when come with education, especially homeschool and most homeschool are very effective when any public school is bad or can't afford to attend at private school.

In elementary school, they got only 1 teacher to teach their children all day, unlike middle and high school have more than 1 teacher to teach per day but high school with block schedule have 4 teachers (equal to 4 classes) per day.

I will never to put my future child in public school if they are failed or bad, even if can't afford to put in private school then homeschool will my only choice, however I wouldn't want live in bad area with crime infested that where public school are terrible.

Hate to say, not all certified teachers are good, even there's some un-certified teachers are great.

U are right on that...

Home schooling these days doesn't mean it's just mom sitting at the kitchen table with the kids and an abacus. There are various methods of home teaching. Some parents pool their abilities and exchange their expertise with each other.

Yeah, I didn't mean to rant down on home-schooling that appeared to be the case. The detrimental differences between them and public schools that I could think of were what I listed, not to bash home schooling.

When I initially posted, I still come think of it and believe that it is situational when it comes to certain things, and really a matter of what you wish to see your child as..

You know, this reminds me of wikipedia. It's exactly the same sense as to what I was trying to say one time.

You could be a double doctor and post some info about how to do Algebra in the wikipedia section, yet an uncertified guy without a college/university/master's degree can do the same thing and possibly a much better job than the doctor's degree guy with different teaching methods, and kids understands you a lot better.

It really boils down to the personality and person speaking in that sense, and how much background knowledge they have on the subject to an extent.

I think there is some misuntderstanding about private schools. Private schools are not just for the wealthy. There are inner city private schools supported by donations, and private Christian schools, supported by their congregations.

The private Christian school that my daughter and grandsons attended had a few "wealthy" kids but most were middle class. A few would be considered "poor." The church provided scholarships for the poor kids. Most families pay their own tuition by making financial sacrifices. We were one of those families. One of my daughter's schoolmates arrived at school every day in a white limo driven by her body guard. My daughter's car pool arrived every day in our very old, barely-running used car. A few times I actually had to push it part of the way. I opened up the trunk with screw driver, and always carried containers of car fluids and water with me. :lol: My daughter wore yard sale school clothes. We scraped and scrimped to pay for her schooling. Many other families do the same thing.

The kids attending her Christian school were of all academic levels. They weren't the "smartest." Some were physically handicapped.

Why should parents who send their kids to private schools donate money to public schools? We already pay taxes to public schools that we don't even use.

My mother and I have been discussing this a lot lately: she felt that the private Christian school environment was better for my brother and me--my parents and many like them made a lot of financial sacrifices for us to attend. We knew some families who were wealthy and had no problem with the tuition. We knew some families who were poor and had scholarships. Then the next generation came along--my husband and I absolutely could NOT afford to pay the rising cost of private school tuition. Our kids are in public schools and always have been--and we are fine with that. My mother still has a great interest in private Christian schools--I basically tell her that, while I understand her good intentions, MOST people I know cannot afford the tuition--especially in today's economy. All of those sacrifices you mentioned: old run down car, yard sale clothes, other deep financial sacrifices--most people I know are already making those kind of sacrifices and STILL cannot afford tuition. And churches cannot afford to give scholarships to so many people now that unemployment is way up and most of America is truly struggling to just get by. So, in the future, I guess only the wealthy people will be able to afford private school tuition--the rest of us just can't do it no matter how many sacrifices we might be making. My main issue with it regarding the Christian schools--some churches can make families feel like "you can do it--it is the right thing to do"--even if they really cannot afford it. People are not "more spiritual" if they somehow manage to put their kids at the Christian school or "less spiritual" if they can't or don't--for many of us, we cannot afford to do it--no matter how many sacrifices we make and no matter how spiritual we are! I'm not saying you think that, I'm just referring to people I know personally who do. I have other issues about my private school education versus my own children's public school education--but the number one issue was affordability!

My mother and I have been discussing this a lot lately: she felt that the private Christian school environment was better for my brother and me--my parents and many like them made a lot of financial sacrifices for us to attend. We knew some families who were wealthy and had no problem with the tuition. We knew some families who were poor and had scholarships. Then the next generation came along--my husband and I absolutely could NOT afford to pay the rising cost of private school tuition. Our kids are in public schools and always have been--and we are fine with that. My mother still has a great interest in private Christian schools--I basically tell her that, while I understand her good intentions, MOST people I know cannot afford the tuition--especially in today's economy. All of those sacrifices you mentioned: old run down car, yard sale clothes, other deep financial sacrifices--most people I know are already making those kind of sacrifices and STILL cannot afford tuition. And churches cannot afford to give scholarships to so many people now that unemployment is way up and most of America is truly struggling to just get by. So, in the future, I guess only the wealthy people will be able to afford private school tuition--the rest of us just can't do it no matter how many sacrifices we might be making. My main issue with it regarding the Christian schools--some churches can make families feel like "you can do it--it is the right thing to do"--even if they really cannot afford it. People are not "more spiritual" if they somehow manage to put their kids at the Christian school or "less spiritual" if they can't or don't--for many of us, we cannot afford to do it--no matter how many sacrifices we make and no matter how spiritual we are! I'm not saying you think that, I'm just referring to people I know personally who do. I have other issues about my private school education versus my own children's public school education--but the number one issue was affordability!
I understand completely.

I wish Americans didn't have to pay such high taxes--it might make things like tuition more attainable for more people.

Anyway, my main point is that parents should have the options of home schooling and private school available.

It depends on where one might live as to what they favor. If someone lives in say Fairfax County, or Arlington VA they might go to public school, but in D.C., or Baltimore might opt for a private school as the difference of school quality is based on where one lives. I wonder though if a private school would provide an interpretor for a deaf student, you hear of deaf students going to private schools, but mostly they tend to be oral and or have an implant.

Back