Schools vs. Schools Debate

Public School, Private School, or Homeschool?

• I am favor in public schools.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • I am favor in private schools.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I am favor in homeschools.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I am oppose to public schools.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am oppose to private schools.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I am oppose to homeschools.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I support each parent's choice for his/her child's education.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I support all public, private, and home schools.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I don't know/I am not sure.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I am just curious. Why are you against homeschooling system, you guys?

I think it might be interested to know why.

My guess on homeschooling is that it lacks the sense of institutionalization. Probably a better term for it is peer coordination.

You can pick up certain things from school, learn albeit sometimes random, things from school, socialization, peers to help you out in the sense you didn't understand something.

Homeschooling doesn't appear to me to offer the "teamwork" that a PE class or MUN/Debate (Model United Nations) class can offer. Or pooled classmate combined efforts, like group work on specific stuff in class.

Like Botti also said, you also don't learn much of the harshness of reality. You're generally pampered by your parents/home school teacher that you don't face the challenges of failing grades, tough teachers..

Okay, what is positive about homeschooling?

assuming both parents are very intelligent and engaging.. and are both professionals.... homeschooling their kids may be very beneficial as they can provide advanced one-on-one sessions. For example - the father is biologist/chemist and mother is professor (lawyer or doctor). Combining both to teach the kid... the kid will no doubt be far beyond ahead of his/her peers at same grade/age.

True. And?

Edit: Ah, I see. I guess I'll wait to 'listen' what parents, who know about homeschooling experience, say about it. :)

I attended public school from kindergarten thru high school, and I never did any team work, nor did any other students help me. When I went to school there was more emphasis on individual achievement.

What kind of "the harshness of reality" should young children experience that would benefit them? I don't know any home schooled kids who are "pampered." They too have to face "the challenges of failing grades."

Home schooling isn't best for everyone. Neither are private schools, Christian schools, or public schools. That's why parents should be allowed to choose what is best for their own children.

One more note about home schooling--it's not for Christians only. People of other religions, and atheists,also home school their children.

Even public colleges are using a version of home schooling--they're called distance learning or internet classes. :)

True. And?

Edit: Ah, I see. I guess I'll wait to 'listen' what parents, who know about homeschooling experience, say about it. :)

but of course.... and also for religious purpose. perhaps they cannot afford private Catholic school so they homeschool their kids.

I attended public school from kindergarten thru high school, and I never did any team work, nor did any other students help me. When I went to school there was more emphasis on individual achievement.

What kind of "the harshness of reality" should young children experience that would benefit them? I don't know any home schooled kids who are "pampered." They too have to face "the challenges of failing grades."

Home schooling isn't best for everyone. Neither are private schools, Christian schools, or public schools. That's why parents should be allowed to choose what is best for their own children.

One more note about home schooling--it's not for Christians only. People of other religions, and atheists,also home school their children.

Even public colleges are using a version of home schooling--they're called distance learning or internet classes. :)

Oooh, thats pretty good one.

Yes, you are right. It's a parent's/parents' choice for their/his/her child for all matters. :)

Some positives about home schooling:

Parents can monitor the curriculum and text books that are used.

No bullying, drug dealing, racism, rioting, and other disruptive behaviors during class time.

No long bus rides or commutes every day.

Field trips and activities with other home schoolers (sports teams, band, bowling league, cheerleading, etc.)

Customized curricula to fit individual needs.

Flexible schedule for family activities and trips.

I think it's kinda of sucks. =/

actually it's fine. people can't afford private schools (not the Catholic school) either. if the public school sucks and they feel they can teach their kids better, that's also the positive side of homeschooling.

Catholic schools aren't the only religion based schools. There are also Hebrew schools, Christian schools, Muslim schools, etc.

Catholic schools aren't the only religion based schools. There are also Hebrew schools, Christian schools, Muslim schools, etc.

I know. it was just for the sake of simplicity because I didn't feel like naming everything else. Originally I used "Religious Schools" but that didn't sound right. You just got the right term - "Religion-based Schools"

Reba, what do you think about a religion-based school's steering course of instruction versus your average run of the mill public school?

That would be the main reason why a religion based school was established. They would want their curriculum to fit their world view and philosophy. They would also include classes about their religion, and religious services.

It would also influence the school's choice of teachers, codes of conduct, dress and grooming standards, and athletics.

I support parent's choice to put their children in school.

There's good and bad public school in anywhere, most inner city and some inner suburb school are bad or mediocre, if public school in area is failed then parent could put child in private school or go to better public school in out of district zone, if not then homeschool is last choice, however I support homeschool for children with alot of bad experience from public school and have depression issue.

I don't like idea of uniform policy at public school but private school is fine, I know most inner city school have uniform policy and doesn't help to reduce of violence or behavioral problem in many cases.

I am just curious. Why are you against homeschooling system, you guys?

I think it might be interested to know why.

I respect the parents what they beleive the best for their children but I feel that all children deserve quality education. That's why I'm for public, private or boarding school because they have certified teacher but I make sure that there're good environment background (atmopshere).

It's not just lack of certified teacher but child's lack of socialization as well.

How could a child learn to develop her/his social skills without contact outside and learn what wrong and right... etc when a child depend on parent all the time ?

How can the homeschool parent teach EVERYTHING when the children have 5 or 6 teachers a day at public/private/boarding school?

I strong beleive that certified teachers are the one who educate students.

All what I have opinion.

I respect the parents what they beleive the best for their children but I feel that all children deserve quality education. That's why I'm for public, private or boarding school because they have certified teacher but I make sure that there're good environment background (atmopshere).

It's not just lack of certified teacher but child's lack of socialization as well.

How could a child learn to develop her/his social skills without contact outside and learn what wrong and right... etc when a child depend on parent all the time ?

How can the homeschool parent teach EVERYTHING when the children have 5 or 6 teachers a day at public/private/boarding school?

I strong beleive that certified teachers are the one who educate students.

All what I have opinion.

What about child with serious depression issue? Homeschool is best place for child with depression issue and unable to control their behavior at public or private school.

My daughter and grandsons get more "socializing" in home school than I got in public school. Just because students are surrounded by lots of other kids doesn't mean they are having positive interactions with them.

Back