School for the Deaf denies deaf child with Down Syndrome placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing, these are public schools we are talking about. They are not private entities. They are funded by the taxpayers and if some parents are to enroll their children into the school, they should be aware of its history and to be prepared for any potential situations to occur.

The school may be complying now, but that doesn't mean they won't try to pull the stunt again.

ah..I posted before I saw yours. Yep, what you said about the taxpayers' money and the public's right to know.

Aren't ADA violations public record? The fact that the school is in noncompliance (without reference to individual students) should be in the public record somewhere.

Aren't ADA violations public record? The fact that the school is in noncompliance (without reference to individual students) should be in the public record somewhere.

Everything...staff salary, renovations, and etc are made public except for the students' files.

The state will have a Freedom of Information Act. There's a procedure for requesting information from the government.

I'm getting bored from this cryptic thread. Move along...nothing to see here.

The state will have a Freedom of Information Act. There's a procedure for requesting information from the government.

Thank you...I was racking my brains on what Act it was...Yep, the Freedom of Information Act will enable all of us to have public access to what is going on with that Deaf school. It will take time research and time. Just thought it would be helpful if the OP provided the name.

Yes!

And you don't even need to petition via FOIA -- if you are planning to place your child at a particular school, just pull their annual compliance reports from your state's dept. of education. Here's an example of what's available in the case of a private deaf school.

This is a far more appropriate approach than attempting to coerce a 3rd party to divulge identifying information about someone else's child.

Yes!

And you don't even need to petition via FOIA -- if you are planning to place your child at a particular school, just pull their annual compliance reports from your state's dept. of education. Here's an example of what's available in the case of a private deaf school.

This is a far more appropriate approach than attempting to coerce a 3rd party to divulge identifying information about someone else's child.

Here's the thing, nobody is asking for the identity of the child, just the school.

Yes!

This is a far more appropriate approach than attempting to coerce a 3rd party to divulge identifying information about someone else's child.[/QUOTE]

Umm...we are just asking for the name of the school that is in violiation not information about the child.

If you have a child that you are trying to enroll in a school for the deaf, and this situation makes you worry about the school's compliance, just request their compliance report. Are you even located in the same state?

The information csign has already provided doesn't compromise the privacy of this child. Linking this case to a school would do so immediately.

If you have a child that you are trying to enroll in a school for the deaf, and this situation makes you worry about the school's compliance, just request their compliance report. Are you even located in the same state?

The information csign has already provided doesn't compromise the privacy of this child. Linking this case to a school would do so immediately.

The thing is ..she said it is for a family friend's child so that means time searching through database and suppose several of us come up with nothing? What then...blowing smoke or something more sinister going on? All that secretive stuff going on is ringing some alarm bells in my head. That's just me but I am willing to keep an open mind..I like a more blunt and straightforward way of getting info instead of playing cloak and daggar games (if I got that right..tired now, lol). Just being honest with my feeligns here.

The investigation report is confidential, and I'm not going to compromise my integrity and divulge the information. Because of this complaint, the DOE will be keeping a very close eye and it's unlikely this will happen again any time in the near future. Hopefully it won't happen again at all.
Like I said, active files of students representing those with multiple disabilities will be reviewed with a fine tooth comb. Any files that are out of compliance will be remedied. Parents need to continue advocating for their Childs needs regardless of any outside circumstances. If something isn't right for their child, they need to stand up. That's what this family did, and that's why their child will be where she needs to be.

The investigation report is confidential, and I'm not going to compromise my integrity and divulge the information. Because of this complaint, the DOE will be keeping a very close eye and it's unlikely this will happen again any time in the near future. Hopefully it won't happen again at all.
Like I said, active files of students representing those with multiple disabilities will be reviewed with a fine tooth comb. Any files that are out of compliance will be remedied. Parents need to continue advocating for their Childs needs regardless of any outside circumstances. If something isn't right for their child, they need to stand up. That's what this family did, and that's why their child will be where she needs to be.

CSDF has reams of information where this same thing has happened before.

It isn't really unusual, although I am happy your friends got the result they wanted.

sound idea hope be happy to you! I think so might to you advise!
that is complication!

I was clear from the start of the thread that it's the school for the deaf that was in contention. They were found out of compliance.

I most certainly will not release the name of the school. No need for parents to look out any more than they already do for their children.

The Department of Education is breathing down their necks, and any areas of non-compliance outside of this individual case will be remedied.

That is exactly what I expected you to respond. You have just lost all credibility. Personally, I see too many red flags, and have a very strong suspicion that this entire thread has been nothing more than fabrication.

Csign, I'm thinking that if I were involved in a court case or mediation with my daughter's school, and was able to obtain the necessary remedies, I might not want the specifics -- the name of the school, people involved, etc. identified on a public forum. Not for fear of retribution, but just out of respect for the process and parties involved. And, while I'm pretty open about my own daughter's situation, I would not be happy if a third party, even someone deeply involved in negotiating the situation, as you were, decided to post identifying info on a public forum. These schools are not huge, and it would be very easy to identify the parties involved if you posted a school name.

I don't know if people want to start some kind of campaign against the school or otherwise use this case as a catalyst for taking action, but it really shouldn't be done without the consent of the child's family, if at all, given that the school is now complying, and they probably want to avoid any bad blood.

Negotiation around placement happens all the time with schools for the deaf and public schools, it really isn't newsworthy for the general public. If an AD member talks about noncompliance that she's had to overcome at a school at which she's teaching, there's not a demand for her to identify the school by name so we all can be aware.

Noncomplaince is public record.

I don't know which AD member you are talking about, but obviously she has given sufficient information to be seen as credible. Not the case here.

Too many inconsistencies and mistakes made in this thread.

No one is asking you to provide details of the investigation. All we want is the name of the school. The fact that you refuse to provide it, despite the fact that non-compliance findings are a matter of public record, casts suspicions on anything you claim in this matter. It appears to many that you refuse to provide the name of the school, because you know that what you have stated can be checked on as a matter of public record, and my releasing the school's name we will find you to be a fraud.

CSDF has reams of information where this same thing has happened before.

It isn't really unusual, although I am happy your friends got the result they wanted.

Not unusual at all. And I doubt that any decision will affect more than this case alone, IF there is even a case that a decision has been made regarding.

Here's the thing, nobody is asking for the identity of the child, just the school.

Exactly. No one has asked for any kind of confidential information, or any identifying information regarding the child. Just the name of the school. And the fact that it is not being given is just too suspicious, as there is not logical reason to withhold it.

I suspect strongly that there was never anything to see from the outset.

No it wouldn't. And what is all this crap about confidentiality, anyway. Nothing about this case, as it has been described, is covered by confidentiality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back