Scary Interpreter

Reba said:
Yikes!

I never eat while interpreting. I only bring a bottle of water. If I am hungry between assignments, I bring a yogurt fruit smoothie in a cooler in my car. I just drink that for quick nutrition. If someone offers me food, I just smile and say, "Thank you, but I don't eat while I am on duty."

Too many risks of eating while interpreting, like in your example. Also, suppose the terp starts choking, or spills a soda, or has a lovely bit of food stuck between the front teeth? Ha, ha, better safe than sorry!

thats remind me something happened... one of interpreters had denture, she didnt realized that she popped a gum in her mouth and go like :squint: and had some struggling in there.. cuz that gum isnt for denture.. it went like all sticky.. LOL.. it was too much drama.. hehe also she was sure pissed!!!!

Last edited:
e said:
forgot to add the dress style on my interpreter from first post i made, she worn torned black stocking, yeah big holes. :ugh:

sure ive had some cool bean interpreters, some of them ended up my "2nd mom" when i had them for years. others were a punk with spunky outfits and a mixed chinese who does DJ at night clubs and danced in front of my classmates during gym class. people "wowed" and i was like yeah thats my interpreter, allright! :thumb:

yes, I have few interpreters who are my "2nd" mom.. the oldest one is now about 60's.. still do interpretering for me if i need to.. my kids call her grandma Jean.. :D

one of few-- are awesome and very open-mind & very very VERY understanding.. most of times i need to cry on shoulder or talk about general than talking to my own mom or friends who dont understand me being open mind.. LOL.. I sometimes call her as my sister..

Reminds me of an interpreter I had once...ages ago. It was my first time, and I wasn't so sure about having one during a business meeting. He was very nice, but ... *sigh*...forgot he was suppsoed to interpret for me and monopolized the whole meeting telling stories.

Never had him again.

No way.

Eh, since most of you spilled your guts out about the bad or traumatic exprience with interpreters.

Here's mine, I had this interpreter for a year in 8th grade where I mainstreamed for only 2 classes. A few months later, I made a request for an interpreting change so she only interpret another class with two other deaf classmates. I cannot make decisions for two of them. Anyways, she was in her 40's with very short hair, like most dykes wear that hairstyle. She often wore some clothes that were more odd than most of us wear back in 1998. It got me pondering about her sexuality. I never asked her because what if I asked her then I'd get into a big trouble regarding the sexuality issue. She told me some about her past, she recalled marrying someone for just a few weeks and then divorced because they, in fact, were alcoholics. She was taken to the women's shelter for a while. That was all I could remember after she told me. She always smiled and laughed and kept coming toward me in some lusty or whatever manners and her hands touching my arm. I was like, I don't think that was right. That was what she has been doing to me all year long while I was her 'client'. I was scared to report because staffs at my deaf school WON'T believe me and my bullshitting story. So, I was stuck. I had to suffer for a year but then I became freshman. No more her. That wasn't really a traumatic one but not really approriate for an interpeter to do these things on the students, you get what I am saying?

Cheri said:
LOL, I know the feeling about scary interpreters I had my share with one of them during my pregnancy doctor's visits.

What happen was I was there on time she was running late, then she arrived about 15-20 mins later and said she had another apportionment earlier and it went late, So It was fine, then we went in the exam room and she started going through her purse and grabbed a bag of chips and started eating, and then the dr. came in and she was signing and chips were flying all over the place, Then she started picking them off the floor and eating the chips that were on the floor. :shock:
oh my! ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:rofl:

After reading several of these postings about scary terps, it makes me wonder if those terps knew about interpreter ethics, or had any professional training. Each one broke an obvious "terp rule". It seems like some of them don't even know the basic rules about how to dress for interpreting assignments.

If they were certified with RID, they were required to sign the statement saying that they know and obey the RID Code of Ethics. Maybe some of them need refresher training?

Back