Gay Marriages

• YES im in support of same sex marriages

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • NO im not in support of same sex marriages

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I DONT CARE

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters
Sighs . I am usually a mild mannered person, but there are two or three issues that can get me really MADDD! This is for SABRINA and others who think like her. Why did you bring up this discussion and REFUSE to be open minded to hear other sides? You were not discussing. You were simply putting gay people down! I would respect you better if you were at least listening to others.

Anyway…

I am a devoted son. I visit my mother every month to help her with chores around the house and just to chat with her. I also call her every week to see how she is doing. I believe strongly in family values.

I am a good friend to my close friends. I always help them when they need. I make time for them if they need a shoulder to cry on. I listen. I am with them through their successes and failures. I believe strongly in friendship and fellowship.

I am a generous uncle to my best friend’s son. I give gifts and make time to be with him. I created a small library of children books especially for him. I make many funny faces to get him to laugh. I ache when he cries. I change his diapers. I love children. I believe strongly in children, as they are precious and our future.

I am a dutiful citizen. I work hard. I pay my taxes. I vote. I perform community services. I respect my neighbors. I believe strongly in unity, tolerance and respect for others.

AND… I am GAY. I believe in being honest with myself and others.

Ok, Sabrina. It is evident that I am a well adjusted person, capable of loving and respecting others and am responsible. Why wouldn’t I make a good parent? Tell me . Just because I am GAY? Do you think that is rational? What are the things I can’t teach my children? What are the things my children can’t have from me? Have you done any research on gay parenting? How did YOU arrive to the conclusion that gay men and lesbians are unfit to be parents?

Since you brought up this discussion, I ask you and others who have the same opinion as hers to go to this site. http://archive.aclu.org/issues/gay/parent.html There you will find all answers you need to enlighten your mind.

You are not that different from those hearing people who think that deaf people should not have children or are unfit to be good parents. We know that they have nothing to support that theory. Those hearing people do not understand Deaf people. You do not understand gay people. How would you feel if your son’s’ teacher told you that it is unnatural for a deaf woman to raise children simply because she can’t hear? You are telling me that I can’t be a good parent because I am GAY. You see how illogical that is. And hurtful!

Do I have children now? No, I don’t. Do I want children? Yes! Now? No, I am young and not ready, as I have many goals I want to accomplish. Someday, I will. I am not going to let people like you stop me from having little Ammon or Sophia saying to me, “I love you, Daddy,” simply because I am GAY. I WILL fight for my rights because I believe that I have a lot to give. You do not need to feel sorry for my children. One of important things that you don’t seem to have and I will teach my children….TOLERANCE!

PaxThoreau -- KUDOS to u!!!!!!! i so TOTALLY agree!!! :thumb: and a VERY well said argument! :applause:

i agree that she does need to research further on this issue :roll:

Originally posted by PaxThoreau
Sighs . I am usually a mild mannered person, but there are two or three issues that can get me really MADDD! This is for SABRINA and others who think like her. Why did you bring up this discussion and REFUSE to be open minded to hear other sides? You were not discussing. You were simply putting gay people down! I would respect you better if you were at least listening to others.

Anyway…

I am a devoted son. I visit my mother every month to help her with chores around the house and just to chat with her. I also call her every week to see how she is doing. I believe strongly in family values.

I am a good friend to my close friends. I always help them when they need. I make time for them if they need a shoulder to cry on. I listen. I am with them through their successes and failures. I believe strongly in friendship and fellowship.

I am a generous uncle to my best friend’s son. I give gifts and make time to be with him. I created a small library of children books especially for him. I make many funny faces to get him to laugh. I ache when he cries. I change his diapers. I love children. I believe strongly in children, as they are precious and our future.

I am a dutiful citizen. I work hard. I pay my taxes. I vote. I perform community services. I respect my neighbors. I believe strongly in unity, tolerance and respect for others.

AND… I am GAY. I believe in being honest with myself and others.

Ok, Sabrina. It is evident that I am a well adjusted person, capable of loving and respecting others and am responsible. Why wouldn’t I make a good parent? Tell me . Just because I am GAY? Do you think that is rational? What are the things I can’t teach my children? What are the things my children can’t have from me? Have you done any research on gay parenting? How did YOU arrive to the conclusion that gay men and lesbians are unfit to be parents?

Since you brought up this discussion, I ask you and others who have the same opinion as hers to go to this site. http://archive.aclu.org/issues/gay/parent.html There you will find all answers you need to enlighten your mind.

You are not that different from those hearing people who think that deaf people should not have children or are unfit to be good parents. We know that they have nothing to support that theory. Those hearing people do not understand Deaf people. You do not understand gay people. How would you feel if your son’s’ teacher told you that it is unnatural for a deaf woman to raise children simply because she can’t hear? You are telling me that I can’t be a good parent because I am GAY. You see how illogical that is. And hurtful!

Do I have children now? No, I don’t. Do I want children? Yes! Now? No, I am young and not ready, as I have many goals I want to accomplish. Someday, I will. I am not going to let people like you stop me from having little Ammon or Sophia saying to me, “I love you, Daddy,” simply because I am GAY. I WILL fight for my rights because I believe that I have a lot to give. You do not need to feel sorry for my children. One of important things that you don’t seem to have and I will teach my children….TOLERANCE!

Big and many KUDOS to you, PaxThoreau! Well said and direct to the point! :) :thumb: :thumb:

Goldie

this is ONE for the books, Pax u have said it all and i congrats ur movivation, ur right on the bat and made things well sensble considering closed minded poeple who have children, my whole family knows how i like girls and all and they respect me for this this family is ONE open family supporting one another loving one another and giving one another tolerance is the best thing in life! kids are adaptable to lifestyle. KUDOS to u for making this a well point out arguement! :) :thumb:

PaxThoreau

I am damn impressed by your showing your tolerances and caring about other people including your mom and nephew. I wish other guys like you. I remembered that I was in crush on the guy in West Coast, but I learned that he is gay. Dang. But, we turned out great buddies despite we had own problems to deal with.

I don't mind dating you, but you prefer men. Hee hee.

Anyway, KUDOS to you for speaking out your true feelings to some people who do not understand gay culture. :ily:

Thank you for your support. :D I have friends who welcome me into their families. My being gay is never an issue. I remember, some years ago, a young boy (son of a friend) asked me if I am married. At that time, I had a partner. I told him, "I am with that man and we love each other like your mom and dad love each other." He got it and smiled. That was amazing.

Pax -- thats great! shows that the kids can indeed be taught tolerance and acceptance :D

:thumb:

Im all for it - and I just thought of something interesting - I read each and every post - amazingly! But what I thought was, the younger you influence someone, the more of a chance you have of having them be well adjusted. This doesnt mean just with homosexuality, but anything in general. Most kids (if not all) dont know whats right or wrong till someone (society/parents) tell them - am i mistaken? The values I learned were from my parents and later modified by school, tv, friends, teachers, and etc.

My example, you ask? We have public figures (ie Rosie O'Donnel) who have obviously made do with what they want. This may seem off point - but its got to do with the acceptance of what we consider "different" by teenagers/older children. My dad, when I was 12, decided he wanted to live differently. (I doubt any AD'ers wld actually care or known this, as very few people do nowadays.) My dad believed in having an open marriage - he would date (and yes, have sex) with other women - and my mom would know. Think Utah - without the legal marriage of more than one spouse. At one point a girlfriend lived with us for FOUR years - 3 of which i lived at home and was in high school. In three weeks (as of tomorrow) they will be married for 12 years. So for 7 years I have seen women come and go, thats twisted! (But besides my point.) Had I had grown up seeing that - I would have felt it was normal. I would have defended my dad a whole lot more to those people out in the community bashing him. But because I was 12, entering junior high, i told him to go to hell. :) So 7 years later - my dad's still a prick, still does the same things, I still feel the same way - but I love him. I cant argue with that - love goes above and beyond societal norms/values and even "requirements."

"We were born to love, and then we learn to hate." How sad is that :)

This is my Dad, Mom, sister, me, Uncle - memorial day 2001. Families come in all shapes, sizes and types. Someday we'll all realize that :)

Attachments

• memorialday01.jpg
    memorialday01.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited by a moderator:
pinkster U make a good vaild points abt the social norms u know i see it as this THERE Is NO normalcy in this theres dysfunctional families, abusing families gays and lesbain familes and most of all the june/ward cleaver type of family from all aspect the social normalcy would accept the opionated family whilist the bashers would just reject the poeple by being judgemental, as for the samesex marriage i totally belive there is no normalcy just the loving family in all aspect. and I think u made a good point in there :)

good job jams :)

Originally posted by PaxThoreau
Thank you for your support. :D I have friends who welcome me into their families. My being gay is never an issue. I remember, some years ago, a young boy (son of a friend) asked me if I am married. At that time, I had a partner. I told him, "I am with that man and we love each other like your mom and dad love each other." He got it and smiled. That was amazing.

I remember when I was living in Los Angeles and was confused about my sexuality and my frustrations about falling in love with gay men. Although I was frustrated about that issue, still nowadays, I look back and chuckle over that. That's life. :)
I find gay men very appealing and they're mainly very understanding and can understand women and their feminine feelings, etc.

Goldie

Update -- politics wise

im posting this as an update in regards to this issue as its the best thread to put it in -- MODS: if u disagree on where this shouldve been put -- by all means feel free to move it -- thanks!

WASHINGTON (July 16) -- The leading Democratic presidential candidates support gay couples having the same legal rights as husbands and wives, but stop short of saying they have a right to marry.

Most of the White House hopefuls attending a presidential forum hosted Tuesday by the Human Rights Campaign - a leading gay advocacy group - expressed their support for gay civil unions.

Only three candidates - Al Sharpton, Carol Moseley Braun and Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio - said federal law should approve same-sex marriages.

The comments of the top candidates did not go over well with some in the crowd. The audience hissed when Sens. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and John Kerry of Massachusetts said marriage is a right reserved in America for men and women.

``Marriage has a special status in our culture, our society, our history,'' Lieberman said.

Despite the differences over gay marriage, the Democratic presidential candidates agree with most of the policy positions of the Human Rights Campaign. They expressed support for anti-discrimination laws, hate crimes legislation, increased funding for HIV/AIDS research and treatment, and federal domestic partnership benefits.

But the issue of gay marriage is sure to dog the candidates - both the Democrats and Republican President Bush - in next year's election. Elizabeth Birch, executive director of the Human Rights Campaign, said the group also would invite Bush and other Republicans to future forums.

Several congressional Republicans, led by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., have called for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriages. Bush has said ``marriage is between a man and a woman,'' but he has sidestepped the constitutional amendment issue.

Vermont is the only state that has a civil-unions law giving gay couples the same legal rights as married couples - a law signed by former Gov. Howard Dean, one of the presidential contenders to address the forum. Dean said civil unions, in the absence of marriage, give gays legal rights, such as health benefits, inheritance, child custody and hospital visitation.

Under tough questioning from moderator Sam Donaldson, Dean said extending marriage to gays is problematic ``because marriage has a long, long history as a religious institution.''

But Sharpton said simply granting civil unions is a form of discrimination against gays, ``like saying we'll give blacks or whites or Latinos the rights to shack up, but not marry.''

Same-sex marriages are legal in Belgium and the Netherlands, and Canada's Liberal government announced last month that it would enact similar legislation soon. Dean and Rep. Dick Gephardt of Missouri were asked if they would recognize those marriages if the couples immigrated to the United States. Although Dean did not answer the question directly during an interview last month on NBC's ``Meet the Press,'' he said he had come to the conclusion that they should be recognized.

So did Gephardt. ``I think the federal government should conform its laws as quickly as we can to recognize whatever relationship - civil relationship, civil union, gay marriage - whatever is accepted and put into law in states or foreign countries,'' he said.

Gephardt told the audience about how he and his wife had embraced their daughter, Chrissy, when she announced a year and a half ago that she was leaving her husband because she was a lesbian. He drew applause from the audience when he said he and his wife had joined PFLAG, which stands for Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

Appearing with Gephardt at a news conference following the forum, Chrissy Gephardt gave her father credit for favoring other rights for gay couples even though she disagrees with his position on marriage.

``I've talked to him about it all the time,'' she said. ``I'm definitely a proponent of gay marriages.''

Two of the nine presidential candidates, Sens. Bob Graham of Florida and John Edwards of North Carolina, did not appear at the forum.

On the Net:

Human Rights Campaign: http://www.hrc.org

07/16/03 03:07 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

MODS excuse my cuzzing:

its abt GODDAMN time poeple relize now that we need to reconize that men and women are human SAME GOES FOR GAYS AND LESBAIN and WE SHOULD ALSO have a RIGHT to be able to be reconized as a EQUALITY to be able to be married I mean USA IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FREEDOM OF CHOICE FREEDOM OF RIGHTS and yet we don't SOMETHING's WRONG with this picture!

WHERES OUR FREEDOM??? THE reglious fantic poeple can shove that up thier behind cuz if two same sex couple are very committed and loving and have spent yrs living together and not being able to be married then it goes to show poeple that do support the same sex marriage Asking poeple who have been together for SO LONG and I COMMEND Sen Gephardt for reconcizing his daughter and supporting her in all aspect but am at a shaky issue with him not fully supporting her at the same time for the marriage issues, HE SHOULD accept her no matter the outcome, Hell if i got married I would want to be able to be married whereever we are NOT having to * hide* or *crawl* under a rock just cuz i want to marry the same sex. I should be able to climb atop a mountain or the statue of liberty saying IM MARRIED TO A SAME SEX WOMAN AND I LOVE HER SO LIVE WITH IT! it just peeves me to see people that don't support that are just as ingorant as being married to thier spouse cuz they were raised on the belif of a reglious reasons. I see that poeple have to be open and understanding hence we are at this time and day in a * civil war* with our rights being revoked all cuz in the name of reglious and the consitution I BELIVE as I SEE IT FREEDOM IS the REASON WE LIVE IN USA not cuz of RELGIOUS FANTICS! :mad2: :mad2:

I voted to support same sex marriages. So many people have made very good points, all it matters is that TWO people who wants to get married proves that they do TRULY love each other, no matter what they are.

All I can say about Sabrina that she doesn't agree with children raising with same sex parents, that's her opinion and her feelings so we can't do anything to change her mind. However she also failed to prove us facts that children suffer emotional trauma while being raised by same sex parents. (unless someone proves me wrong)
I know a friend whose parents got divorced at age 13 and her mother became a lesbian. Did that affect her? No, she was totally fine with it because she still loves her mother.

any luck???

Prez Bush considered marriage should be for one man and woman. Dang! My belief is marriage is about LOVE not sex gender.

this report discusses the adoption of children by same sex parents and it shows that children turn out just fine as us hextrosexual parents:

http://www.aap.org/policy/020008t.html

All of this just goes to say that many people are still a wee bit ignorant and perhaps a tad selfish when it comes to gay marriages.

Originally posted by Bush_in_2004!
this report discusses the adoption of children by same sex parents and it shows that children turn out just fine as us hextrosexual parents:

http://www.aap.org/policy/020008t.html

All of this just goes to say that many people are still a wee bit ignorant and perhaps a tad selfish when it comes to gay marriages.

RESPECTING one out of love is all abt that not abt if we are man or woman wanting to be married if i recall correctly fly free or someone can correct me if im wrong, 13 corthians 1 i belive it is, talks abt love and thats exactly what it means theres no MAN or WOMAN signifiying it, we re not SINNERS in LOVE were sinners yes but do we follow each reglious aspect of it ? some do SOME dont so therefore, what abt LOVING one another instead of JUDGING one another????

as for kids i see kids innocently being involved in the melee of who should raise who, what abt uncondtional love and toloerance? :roll: poeple that don't belive in that are pretty judgemental in all aspect.

"kids innocently being involved in the melee"

you right in more than one way. kids who have bigoted hetrosexual parents learn to become bigots from THEIR OWN BIGOTED PARENTS!!! These kind of parents are much WORSE than any "same sex" parent.

Besides, what about the hetrosexual parents who married for money?

Or the hetrosexual parents whose pairings and wedding was arranged by families?

Or shotgun hetrosexual marriages?

Or "oops I forgot the condoms" hetrosexual marriages.

Or the Jack Daniels hetrosexual marriages?

Surely by now people ought to realize that hetrosexual marriages does not guarantee great kids anymore than same sex marriages will result in warped kids.

*bummer*

whoa.. there is original same-sex mariage vote here. :)

Probably because this issue is as relevant today as it was back then.....

Back