Rush marries, Elton sings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chafets notes Limbaugh’s libertarian streak, which puts him on the opposite sides of some big issues from family values conservatives.

“He regards homosexuality as, most probably, biologically determined, and while he opposes gay marriage as culturally subversive, he has no problem with gay civil unions. — which is the stance of President Obama and Hillary Clinton… He is not opposed to capital punishment, but he ‘wouldn’t go to the mat over it.”

Limbaugh also turned down repeated invitations from Jerry Falwell to speak at Liberty University and in 2009, he declined an offer to speak at the school’s graduation ceremony and to receive an honorary degree.
Rush Limbaugh Biography 'An Army Of One': Likes Palin In 2012, Tone-Deaf On Race, OK With Gay Civil Unions

So much for him being "anti-gay." Limbaugh is a lot more nuanced than you'd give him credit for.

ta ta....

Rush has a lot of rich conservative Christians as fans. He's spoken against homosexuality. But isn't Elton John the posterboy for homosexuality?

Yeppers. Just another indication of Rush's hypocrisy. He is eaten up with it. Total lack of character.

Yeppers. Just another indication of Rush's hypocrisy. He is eaten up with it. Total lack of character.

Most fair minded people believe you can disagree with another persons beliefs without hating that person. You can even enjoy their work and company.

But since you choose to point out Rush's lack of character........What about Elton John's lack of character for taking the money and the gig???? :lol:

Most fair minded people believe you can disagree with another persons beliefs without hating that person. You can even enjoy their work and company.

But since you choose to point out Rush's lack of character........What about Elton John's lack of character for taking the money and the gig???? :lol:

since when do we look up to singers as moral compass? :lol:

Like I said in another thread I think most people are like the sheepdog and the coyote from Warner Brothers cartoons. They know when they are on the clock and off the clock. Only a few irrational people hold grudges 24/7

But if Elton John never got hired, then Rush's (supposedly) or Eminem's hypocrisy would never be exposed.

But if Elton John never got hired, then Rush's (supposedly) or Eminem's hypocrisy would never be exposed.

:lol: Takes 2 to Tango.......... As hypocrits go I tend to look down more on the sellout.

However I see no hypocrisy here.......Just 2 people who disagree politically making a business transaction.

Rush Limbaugh received media attention from the likes of CNN when it was revealed that Elton John performed at his wedding. While it comes as no surprise that a baby boomer like Limbaugh would be an Elton John
fan, I am surprised that Elton agreed to perform. Rush loves to shock and Elton likes to receive checks for his performances, so this is obviously a win-win situation. Elton and Rush actually have more in common than meets the eye: they are both older, white males; each has had issues with substance abuse; and both like to shock loyal audiences.

Unfortunately, my first experiences with Elton John's music involved a few of his '80's videos on MTV when I was around 5. Compared to Boy George and some other acts of that time, he didn't seem particularly effeminate or weird. He was a guy in a suit with big glasses singing pleasant songs with ease. While I wondered what "Rolling like thunder/ Under the covers" meant exactly, his music seemed non-threatening. The "Lion King" soundtrack came out later. While I enjoyed the film, especially the performances of Jeremy Irons and Rowan Atkinson, the music didn't blow me away compared to other Disney films. Later, I began to appreciate his work from the '70s after really listening to songs like "Rocket Man" and "Bennie and the Jets" for the first time as I approached my 20s. I wondered why he had ever parted ways with Bernie Taupin.

Rush Limbaugh never particularly interested me in his heyday. I was developing a distaste for the Republican Party, which had begun to seem kind of mean-spirited. His problems with painkillers actually made him more sympathetic and human in my eyes. I still do not understand the appeal of talk radio, but I prefer Limbaugh to Howard Stern any day of the week. He does have a certain charm with his calm, everyman version of political hysteria.

Despite their differences, Elton John helped Rush Limbaugh celebrate matrimonial bliss. It was a beautiful moment. In a country so divided by politics, it is wonderful that
these celebrities came together in peace. Limbaugh chose John to play his wedding based on his talent and ability, not his ideology. Isn't that what America is supposed to be about? Elton John provided part of the soundtrack to American life over three decades. Despite the sometimes silly outfits, tirades about other celebrities and personal difficulties, his music speaks for itself and he will always be an icon.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5465986/elton_john_performs_at_rush_limbaughs.html?cat=9

Pretty good article, doesn't forsake either side to be human. Each has issues and problems, yet both human.

Yiz

Everybody is assuming that Rush likes Elton John's music. Maybe it was his the then future wife who wanted Elton John to perform, and not Rush? Maybe they are both fans? Maybe just Rush? Maybe Rush made a calculated move in order to generate more controversy when he gets back on air on June 16 and have some more materials to discuss, which means more ad revenues.

Yep. A win-win (and then some) scenario.

That thought crossed my mind earlier. I know whatever my bride wanted she got.....gotta keep the women happy. :lol:

Elton John is not being hypocritical. He is standing true to his conviction of being openly gay, and of getting paid for the talent others are seeking despite his sexual orientation.

Elton John is not being hypocritical. He is standing true to his conviction of being openly gay, and of getting paid for the talent others are seeking despite his sexual orientation.

It's called being a sellout.....

Personally I have no problem with what either one of them did. But it is ridiculous to point a finger at one and not the other.

Limbaugh paid John for his talent regardless of his sexual orientation and being openly gay, so how is that hypocritical?

this thread's still going on? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back