Runaway US bride faces jail term

Vance

Reaction score
A US woman who pretended she had been kidnapped on the eve of her wedding faces up to six years in jail.

Jennifer Wilbanks, 32, from Georgia, has been charged with making a false statement and false police report.

"At some point you just can't lie to the police," Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said.

But Ms Wilbanks' lawyer, Lydia Sartain, said fellow citizens would be "ill-served by an attempted prosecution".

An arrest warrant is to be issued within a few days, but Mr Porter said he was confident Ms Wilbanks would turn herself in.

The case has attracted mass media attention in the US.

Costly search

Ms Wilbanks disappeared on 26 April, days ahead of her wedding, to which 600 people had been invited, after telling her husband-to-be she was going for a jog.

She travelled all the way to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where she eventually contacted police a few days later and told them she had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted.

When officers questioned her about the exact circumstances of her abduction, she admitted running away for unspecified personal reasons, but denied any links to her wedding.

In the meantime, Ms Wilbanks' disappearance had sparked a massive search in and around the Atlanta suburb of Duluth where she lived.

Local authorities spent some $50,000 (£27,297) to find her, and posters were put up across the US.

The state and county agencies involved have already said they will seek reimbursement from Ms Wilbanks, who is voluntarily undergoing professional treatment.

But Duluth, which sustained the bulk of the costs, is still negotiating with her lawyer.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4580387.stm

Yes! About time...

I truly hope that she serves at least 3 years in the prison...3 years will be enough for her to reflect on her own stupidity, selfish motives and immaturity.

Sounds like a few taserings are in order, too, a few times a month. That is the only way we, errr, she can learn.

There is nothing that I hate more than someone who spins up emergency assets when it is not called for. It is a waste of money and creates a strain on resources that can be utilized on genuine calls for service.

I'm glad she was indicted. I seriously doubt they will get a conviction for the felony charge. They'll probably plea the case out offering her a misdemeanor and counseling.

Really? There is NOTHING you hate more than that? How about a treasonous act of lying to a nation to get us into war, costing thousands of lives?
Whatever floats your boat.

:Had to edit since there is a commie plot involving the keyboard:

Beowulf said:
Really? There is NOTHING you hate more than that? How about a treasonous act of lying to a nation to get us into war, costing thousands of lives?
Whatever floats your boat.
:Had to edit since there is a commie plot with the keyboard:

>>There is nothing that I hate more than someone who spins up emergency assets when it is not called for. It is a waste of money and creates a strain on resources that can be utilized on genuine calls for service.<<

I think my previous statement could be applied to fruitless wars as well.

That being said I stand fully behind those soldiers/service members that are doing the job that has been asked of them.

It would make more sense to charge her with a huge fine to cover the costs of the emergency services. Actually, double the costs would justify it.

Why?

Because y'all will be paying even more to have her fed, clothed in prison while she don't have to pay a single cent for what she did. I don't think serving time is going to make a difference.

After all, I'll rather make room for the murderers, rapists, mobsters, thieves and more. Not only to mention that many states in the USA are cash-strapped when it come to prisons.

Think about it. Would you want to pay more just to have her in a prison where she'll be getting fed and clothed at your expenses? Wouldn't you rather have her making monthly payments for 10 years minimum what she did?

I wouldn't want to pay for her.

Meg said:
I truly hope that she serves at least 3 years in the prison...3 years will be enough for her to reflect on her own stupidity, selfish motives and immaturity.
If she serves her time in prison without causing problems, I'm sure she'll be out in 3 years.

Banjo: You have a really good point there. Too bad she has to do hard time for her stupid runaway act that could've been prevented.

A warrant has already been issued for her arrest and I hope she gets what is coming to her. Like coffeeeman, I have a real dislike for people who waste resources such as this (BTW, what does George Bush have to do with the runaway bride?).

Duluth Mayor Shirley Lasseter said the cost of the search was more than $60,000, based on the 78 city workers who took part in it, including all 55 employees of the Police Department. That was spent on her search in that town alone. That doesn't include resources from other jurisdictions that assisted...and that doesn't include that the Nationwide search that took place for her. The funny thing is, crime decided to take call in sick during the days of her search so those 55 employees of the police department had nothing better to do (yeah right).

That also doesn't take into account the 150 volunteers who had helped and took time out of their schedules or off of work.

$60k may not seem like much to a government, but Duluth is only 9.8 miles wide with a population of 22,000 people...$60k is a lot to a small town. The salary for 1 single police officer is $31,909. She wasted equal to the salary of almost 2 police officers for 1 year.

That also doesn't include the costs that her friends and family paid for this extravagent wedding.

Something that we should not forget is she has a Criminal History where she paid her way out of jail.

Sartain dropped the felony charge after the then 24-year-old completed a pretrial diversion program, which included 75 hours of community service and restitution.

That was for shoplifting $1,740 in merchandise from a Gainesville mall.

The second time she wasn't so lucky and a municipal court judge sentenced her to probation, a 400-dollar fine and 50 hours of community service.

So, what does she think she is going to do this time? Pay it off without a hitch....She's trying to pay $13,250 to sweep it under the rug, just like her shoplifting charge.

Another thing that you cannot put a monetary value on is the effect that this has had on the public in general. The next time a female disappears before her wedding, instead of the community rallying together to offer money, prayers, and volunteer their time for a search effort, they instead will be saying 'Sounds like Jennifer Wilbanks all over again with runaway bride syndrome..I've got better things to do than to waste my time.....'

Its no different than a girl who claims she was raped and puts an innocent man behind bars....its no different than a nasty neighbor or exboyfriend who calls social services saying a woman neglects and beats her children.

>>Its no different than a girl who claims she was raped and puts an innocent man behind bars....its no different than a nasty neighbor or exboyfriend who calls social services saying a woman neglects and beats her children.<<

Well put!

Update

I think this is fair.

Runaway Bride Sentenced to Probation
Wilbanks Weeps in Court as She Apologizies for Actions

By DANIEL YEE, AP

As part of her sentence, Jennifer Wilbanks must continue with mental health treatment.

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. (June 2) - With her once-jilted fiance at her side, runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks pleaded no contest Thursday to a felony charge and wept as she was sentenced to probation, community service and a fine.

''I'm truly sorry for my actions and I just want to thank Gwinnett County and the city of Duluth,'' a crying Wilbanks told the judge as she pleaded to a charge of making a false statement.

She was sentenced to two years of probation and 120 hours of community service. The judge also ordered her to continue mental health treatment and pay the sheriff's office $2,550.

If she successfully completes her probation, the felony will be erased from her record, Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said.

Wilbanks, whose disappearance before her wedding in April created a nationwide sensation, was wearing a black outfit and running shoes as she arrived at the Gwinnett County courthouse Thursday to make her plea. Her fiance John Mason, whom she was to have married April 30 in a lavish ceremony, was by her side.

Wilbanks was indicted last week on charges of making a false statement and making a false police report. She could have faced up to six years in prison and $11,000 in fines if convicted of both charges. The misdemeanor false report charge was dropped as part of her plea deal.

Wilbanks also could also have been ordered to reimburse authorities for the cost of the search, which has been tallied at more than $50,000. She's already agreed to pay part of the tab: On Tuesday, she said she would pay $13,250 to the city of Duluth, Ga., to help offset the overtime costs the city incurred searching for her.

''She's done everything that we would ask of her,'' Wilbanks' attorney, Lydia Sartain, said Thursday morning before sentencing. ''She has accepted responsibility.''

Wilbanks, a nurse, disappeared from her Duluth home on April 26, four days before she was to have been married at a high-profile ceremony with 600 guests and 28 attendants. She took a bus to Las Vegas and then Albuquerque, N.M.

She initially claimed she was abducted and sexually assaulted, but later recanted and said she fled because of unspecified personal issues days before the wedding. The false statement charge under which she was sentenced stemmed from a phone call she made relaying the abduction and assault allegations from New Mexico to Georgia.

Family members say she has been receiving psychiatric treatment at an unspecified facility.

06-02-05 10:40EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

i think that she is immature to run away from the problem and she have to face her problem and waste her boyfriend and hers money on big wedding they suppose to get married. i think her boyfriend should dump her and find another lady. if i were her, i won't run away from problem and i have to ask my parents for help with my problem. i feel sorry for her and her parents and her boyfriend,anyway. titans lady

If i was her, Id be ashamed and embarrassed for what i had done! crikey!
what a mental case!!
She needs to go to a nut house! :crazy:

Defee said:
If i was her, Id be ashamed and embarrassed for what i had done! crikey!
what a mental case!!
She needs to go to a nut house! :crazy:

I have a strong feeling that there is much more to this story than we know. Obviously, something made this woman flee. No ordinary woman would do this.

No ordinary man or woman would plan an elaborate wedding for months and months. Then twenty-four hours before the ceremony, up and run. No ordinary man or woman would hide, and then, be found, and create an elaborate story of kidnap and rape to explain her absence.

Something is definitely up in Dodge, and may never know the full story behind all this.

I agree with you. She needs psychiatric treatment.

She invited 600 guests, and then she fled prior her wedding? That to me is a WASTE of money and time for planning for this wedding.....and yes, I agree that she needs professional help.

Meg said:

i second that!!! sheesh... :ugh:

Oceanbreeze said:
I think this is fair.

Runaway Bride Sentenced to Probation
Wilbanks Weeps in Court as She Apologizies for Actions

By DANIEL YEE, AP

As part of her sentence, Jennifer Wilbanks must continue with mental health treatment.

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. (June 2) - With her once-jilted fiance at her side, runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks pleaded no contest Thursday to a felony charge and wept as she was sentenced to probation, community service and a fine.

''I'm truly sorry for my actions and I just want to thank Gwinnett County and the city of Duluth,'' a crying Wilbanks told the judge as she pleaded to a charge of making a false statement.

She was sentenced to two years of probation and 120 hours of community service. The judge also ordered her to continue mental health treatment and pay the sheriff's office $2,550.

If she successfully completes her probation, the felony will be erased from her record, Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said.

Wilbanks, whose disappearance before her wedding in April created a nationwide sensation, was wearing a black outfit and running shoes as she arrived at the Gwinnett County courthouse Thursday to make her plea. Her fiance John Mason, whom she was to have married April 30 in a lavish ceremony, was by her side.

Wilbanks was indicted last week on charges of making a false statement and making a false police report. She could have faced up to six years in prison and $11,000 in fines if convicted of both charges. The misdemeanor false report charge was dropped as part of her plea deal.

Wilbanks also could also have been ordered to reimburse authorities for the cost of the search, which has been tallied at more than $50,000. She's already agreed to pay part of the tab: On Tuesday, she said she would pay $13,250 to the city of Duluth, Ga., to help offset the overtime costs the city incurred searching for her.

''She's done everything that we would ask of her,'' Wilbanks' attorney, Lydia Sartain, said Thursday morning before sentencing. ''She has accepted responsibility.''

Wilbanks, a nurse, disappeared from her Duluth home on April 26, four days before she was to have been married at a high-profile ceremony with 600 guests and 28 attendants. She took a bus to Las Vegas and then Albuquerque, N.M.

She initially claimed she was abducted and sexually assaulted, but later recanted and said she fled because of unspecified personal issues days before the wedding. The false statement charge under which she was sentenced stemmed from a phone call she made relaying the abduction and assault allegations from New Mexico to Georgia.

Family members say she has been receiving psychiatric treatment at an unspecified facility.

06-02-05 10:40EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

she got what she asked for! :crazy:

Back