Rit/ntid

ClearSky

Reaction score
For those who already attend or have attended, Is there a reason I may not like RIT/NTID? I haven't made up my mind for going or not in months.

Also, is winter so terrible? lol

It depends on how you look at it.

For me, it's not so bad. I adapted quickly.

Some people say that winter is "horrible" and hate it. I enjoy it. ;)

How's NTID/RIT? I guess it would depend on how you make friends.

If you like making friends, then you'll have fun... just be sure you're friends with the right kind of people. :)

I had been there for 5 years. It was fun for me to meet people. I understand the weather in winter is horrible especially a long walk from Tower A to the end of the property. It is really good exercise.

I would say that NTID's education is not quite perfect. At least, you learn something important to you. I believe that NTID has one big mistake to teach students to focus on technologies for a big company. They should have taught from the scratch as though you might want to start your own business. I think RIT already provide that one, not NTID. I am not saying that NTID is the only one that has the problem. Actually, NTID taught them to learn in general business to combine with technology like a generic. It is probably nothing wrong with that. VamPyroX, isn't that right?

First respondent: Xeroxcopy

Second Respondents: Xeroxcopy

Here is the Xerox copies to you!

In addition to this, it all depends on who you are, and where you are ahead.

I had been there for 5 years. It was fun for me to meet people. I understand the weather in winter is horrible especially a long walk from Tower A to the end of the property. It is really good exercise.

I would say that NTID's education is not quite perfect. At least, you learn something important to you. I believe that NTID has one big mistake to teach students to focus on technologies for a big company. They should have taught from the scratch as though you might want to start your own business. I think RIT already provide that one, not NTID. I am not saying that NTID is the only one that has the problem. Actually, NTID taught them to learn in general business to combine with technology like a generic. It is probably nothing wrong with that. VamPyroX, isn't that right?
Hmm... I'm not sure. I've never been in any NTID degree programs.

I am currently attending RIT and will graduate this May with BS in Biotech. The winter is, indeed, HORRIBLE - well, I am from the south and I can't tolerate this weather. I have managed my way thru winters here and can't wait to get out of here.

When I enter RIT, it was a culture shock for me since I was raised orally and have been mainstreamed with hearing kids. It was a nice learning this culture but it's certainly not for me. Not only deaf culture, but northern culture, too, it's totally different than mine. I just wanted to tolerate it and grab the degree then get outta here. The only reason I wanted to stay here is because of the fantastic interpreters' program.

Keep in mind, RIT is one of the best colleges, it will be great achievement to earn a degree. Good luck finding the right one for you.

Culture shock in the North? Hmmmm when I move down to the South, it was disasterously culutre shock for me and I simply can't stand down there and decided it is NOT for me! So, I packed and move back to the great North! I know that we have been talking about moving to Texas, now I have second thoughts, even with stinking weather, I finally found a job that I love to death, now I don't know what the heck I am going to do, probably stuck up here.

DHB

I am currently attending RIT and will graduate this May with BS in Biotech. The winter is, indeed, HORRIBLE - well, I am from the south and I can't tolerate this weather. I have managed my way thru winters here and can't wait to get out of here.

When I enter RIT, it was a culture shock for me since I was raised orally and have been mainstreamed with hearing kids. It was a nice learning this culture but it's certainly not for me. Not only deaf culture, but northern culture, too, it's totally different than mine. I just wanted to tolerate it and grab the degree then get outta here. The only reason I wanted to stay here is because of the fantastic interpreters' program.

Keep in mind, RIT is one of the best colleges, it will be great achievement to earn a degree. Good luck finding the right one for you.

i went to RIT years ago and altho i enjoyed my years there, i HATED the winters there!!! :ugh:

ScubaJW is right too -- RIT is one of the best colleges nationwide these days

ClearSky -- good luck on ur endeavors wherever u choose for ur college years ;)

Culture shock in the North? Hmmmm when I move down to the South, it was disasterously culutre shock for me and I simply can't stand down there and decided it is NOT for me! So, I packed and move back to the great North! I know that we have been talking about moving to Texas, now I have second thoughts, even with stinking weather, I finally found a job that I love to death, now I don't know what the heck I am going to do, probably stuck up here.

DHB

Yup, I had been in Atlanta and totally DIFFERENT from west coast and midwest but not know about northeast, also Gally is part of northeast or mid altantic?

I refuse to live in southeast usa. :ugh:

Try Nor'Easter! Gally is really mid Atlantic

Yup, I had been in Atlanta and totally DIFFERENT from west coast and midwest but not know about northeast, also Gally is part of northeast or mid altantic?

I refuse to live in southeast usa. :ugh:

Looks like we are going off the point in this thread. This person is simply asking about the weather and RIT/NTID.

Looks like we are going off the point in this thread. This person is simply asking about the weather and RIT/NTID.

Who cares!!! We had been done for many time. :roll:

Pacman, I wanted to be sure that this person is well-informed of the answers we gave. Of course, if we ask questions, we wanted them to be answered - not going off the point. Thanks for letting me know that this forum isn't well-regulated as I have experienced from another board. Other board is kinda over-regulated but they tried to keep everything on topic - I was influenced.

Pacman, I wanted to be sure that this person is well-informed of the answers we gave. Of course, if we ask questions, we wanted them to be answered - not going off the point. Thanks for letting me know that this forum isn't well-regulated as I have experienced from another board. Other board is kinda over-regulated but they tried to keep everything on topic - I was influenced.

Actually, the mods prefer that we stay on topic as much as we can. Yes, sometimes they go off topic but usually members dont do it on purpose. :)

Well, the reason I asked is because I visited RIT/NTID in the fall, and I am still unsure about whether or not to continue my education there. I am not a high school student anymore. I have been working my years off college, and well....times running by...I just don't know why I cannot make up my mind.

What I find attractive is the social part of the school. I haven't experienced that for a long time. I don't want to make the wrong decision that I am only liking everything besides the education. That's totally wrong decision to go there..to party which I ain't one, but.. Besides that, I haven't a clue if I'll like any of the majors there.??? I had to pick one to apply to RIT because I already had enough classes taken before that I could not go as undecided. I already applied, but I can't make up my mind whether or not to go this fall.

My admissions counselor is "pressing" me to make up my mind, and I feel so strange to have to talk to my VR counselor about this when I am not even sure. I don't want to go with an unsure attitude to the VR counselor who might support me throughout the school years. I can't talk about my feelings to the admissions counselors because that's really not their problem to deal with or waste their time on.

I kinda hate life right now...

I do have an alternative to better my education, but it's not a college degree. I am just afraid that I'll hate this other alternative eventually, then I'll be "too old" to join the students at RIT/NTID.

I had hoped that taking time off college and working would help me make up my mind a little about what I wanted, but it hadn't exactly so far.

ClearSky - It is worth for you to think about attending a college. That's where you will earn more money than your high school diploma. Some companies rather to hire someone who has a HS diploma because of low salary - that's what the companies like that. But, we don't want this happen.

What about a community college with some interpreters? You should think about your future. You will never be too old. There are older people attending their college. My mother graduated at a community college when she was 50 years old. She was glad that she did it.

Don't feel yourself being negative. Otherwise, you would say that you should have listened to your counselor in the first place. NTID or Galluadet should be all right. RIT could be hard, but a challenge. You can go to a community college if you want to. I took some liberal art classes at RIT, and it was interesting. I finally made it thru the classes.

About a party at college, it's your choice. I take serious myself to focus on my education because nowaday things are getting hard to find a job. It's okay to have a small party for a few hours once a month - I do not even want to drink alcohol. It would ruin my life - it has nothing to do with my religious. You should enjoy yourself to meet the students at school.

At NTID, I wasted my two years of studing in ACT (computer) because many companies banned COBAL. I took two majors - ACT and Media (photo). I started my own art framing business, and I like to be the boss whatever I want to do with my own time.

I recommend you to think about something that you might want to learn from scratch like starting your own business someday. NTID made a wrong path of teaching students to focus on big companies instead of small companies or a startup a business. I don't remember about RIT, and I am pretty sure that RIT is a good one.

Just don't worry if you want to change your major. You can do it... Smile. Maybe, you try to take a class not related to your major. That will give you a chance for your backup goal. You need to convince your supervisiors (i.e. 4 years of major and 2 years of minor - which total 5 years). That's what I did.

Back