Return of the Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.
flood tolerant rices thats news to me

"So this stimulus package is currently $825,000,000,000 ($825 billion) and growing. The estimated 2009 deficit is $1,200,000,000,000 ($1.2 trillion)."

this hasn't even been passed yet, so how can you call it a deficit? :roll:
I'm not calling it a deficit. I'm calling it an "estimated 2009 deficit". I'm not just making up numbers. This comes from the Congressional Budget Office, a non-partisan government agency. The Republicans have spent and promised too much. The Democrats have spent and promised too much. This isn't one party or the other.

I want HIGH tariff on all imported goods, except for some cases and we don't need buy any stuff from China to boost their country, our dollars are weak and need work to strength our currency.

I wish that congress need lift the ban on oil drilling to increase of domestic oil and find other energy in combined then would reduce of foreign oil from other countries, especially greedy OPEC.
This isn't about a tariffs. As far as I know, no such thing has been approved. This is just about a "Buy American" clause. Normally, I wouldn't think much about it, except Europe is threatening a trade war. That will only hurt us.

i'd like that too, but drilling in our own country is an expensive proposition that is easier said than done. it's not as simple as saying "drill baby, drill."
The great part about it is all our government has to do is take down the red tape. We, the taxpayer, don't have to pay a cent. It would all be done by private industry, assuming they decide it's profitable and the risks are bearable.

Bose? When you buy Bose, you pay their marketing budget. Their products aren't really of great quality, ask any audiophiles and they'll tell you it's overrated. It's the same with Monster cables.
I agree on both counts. And Monster Cable gets extra points for being especially evil: Blue Jeans Cable Strikes Back - Response to Monster Cable — Reviews and News from Audioholics

referring to this asan "estimted 2009 deficit" is most definitly calling it a deficit.

this is an issue of one party vs. the other given the fact tha bush creted the largest decific in armican history.

referring to this asan "estimted 2009 deficit" is most definitly calling it a deficit.
Your whole point was that it's not fair to call it a deficit because fiscal 2009 hasn't finished yet. All we can do at this point is estimate it, and that's something we need to do. In order to be accurate and fair, I called it an estimated 2009 deficit. I really don't understand what's wrong with that.
this is an issue of one party vs. the other given the fact tha bush creted the largest decific in armican history.
Remember, it's Congress who holds the power of the purse. Bush and the Democrat-majority Congress have started this fiscal year with huge spending. Now, Obama and the Democrats in Congress are spending even more. Both parties are guilty.

bush also has the pwoer of veto, so congress isn't toblame..

darkdog,

jow can you say that obama is spnding more? he hasn't e ven been in office for a omthn. amd [people wonder why isay the things i do about conervatives.

it seems that some sconervatives aren't willng to giveobama a chance. how sad.. .

Government bailouts. The U.S. government didn’t acknowledge the start of the Great Depression until it was too late. This time we are proving that we will not make the same mistake again. As soon as the recession began a plan was put into place—a lot of money has been spent in bailouts to avoid another Great Depression.

Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve acted quickly and lowered interest rates. This didn’t happen back when the Depression set in.

FDIC insurance. To avoid panic and make sure everyone was protected Congress raised the amount of FDIC protection from $100,000 to $250,000. This “safety net” didn’t even exist in 1929.

Mortgages. Listen to the news and it sounds like most of America is defaulting on mortgages. This simply isn’t true. In fact, in 2008 only 6.4% of all mortgages were at least one payment behind. In the Great Depression 44% of all first mortgages were in default.

World trade. Right now nations around the globe are working together in an unprecedented fashion to address the financial downturn.

Will 2009 Bring Another Great Depression?

bush also has the pwoer of veto, so congress isn't toblame..
So when Congress sends President Bush a crap bill and he fails to veto it, you absolve Congress of all blame and place it all on President Bush? Is that a standard you intend to apply to President Obama, also?
darkdog,

jow can you say that obama is spnding more? he hasn't e ven been in office for a omthn. amd [people wonder why isay the things i do about conervatives.
We're talking about this bill because he's pushing it. It has already passed the House and the Senate has yet to vote on it. So to be fair, he still has yet to sign it, and I hope he doesn't. But you seem to be saying we shouldn't even take a critical look at an $825,000,000,000+ bill he's pushing. That somehow I'm being a conservative worthy of scorn for daring to criticize President Obama. Is this a standard that should apply to all presidents? Or just Obama?

it seems that some sconervatives aren't willng to giveobama a chance. how sad.. .
This is what giving Obama a chance looks like.
Congratulations to President-elect Obama on his historic election. Though I have misgivings about him on many things, I wish him the best of luck in doing a good job for the country.
That's a post I made on November 5, 2008. Here's the next post I made later that day.
Tell you what- if I see him enact policies that I believe only make things worse, then I'll go ahead and dare to criticize him for it. And if you see a problem in my analysis, you may dare to criticize it. I'll try to be fair to the guy, but no president is beyond criticism.
It's nothing personal. There's too much at stake for me to make it about what's best for the man rather than what's best for the country.

yu'd better beelive that i absolve congress of all blasme. it was bush's fault, plain and simple and yes, if obama does wrong, i will most definitely blme him as well. sorryy, but i'm not the type to place blame on one aprty only. remember, i'm a moderate.

yu'd better beelive that i absolve congress of all blasme. it was bush's fault, plain and simple and yes, if obama does wrong, i will most definitely blme him as well. sorryy, but i'm not the type to place blame on one aprty only. remember, i'm a moderate.
That's an odd way of looking at it. After all, Congress is responsible for writing the bill and voting on it. Without Congress' approval, the President has nothing to veto or sign. If Congress shouldn't be held to account for anything, why bother voting for representatives? Why care who controls the majority?

But if you choose to look at it that way, you should hope President Obama doesn't sign the bill and add to the reckless spending.

As the thread opener, I commandeth everyone to behave! :ty:
i hope obamasigns the bill. good for hi m if he does.
How can you come down so hard on Bush for spending so much and then hope Obama spends even more? Is this a matter of principle? Or do you have some other reason for approving of this particular spending?
we alredy ha ve the highest nationl debt in american histry. tht's bad enough if you ask me..
Things have not gotten anywhere close to the conditions of the Great Depression. The standard of living then was far below where it is now. At its peak, unemployment reached 25% during the Great Depression. Right now, it's around 7%. This isn't to say a Great Depression can't happen in the near future, but let's keep current situation in perspective.

I think it is logical. you have to spend MORE to rebuild it.

i'm neither..as long as our economy gets back to where it needs to be and more jobs are opened up..is really all I care about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back