Return of the banned people! Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ The only problem is that some ADers are addicted to AD. :laugh2:

ya, I'm with Maria on that statement, Dixie. They're wise words of wisdom but its hard to coexist utopian..

It is easier said than done. I'm not speaking for myself — thinking in just about an anybody's shoes I can philosophize for:..

Perhaps some people can't associate with the outside world as much as they'd like to due to other factors that can can be unrelated to hearing loss.

For some of them, the internet world could be their only "hope" of being able to socialize normally just as anyone else. There are a plethora of examples on the boards.. you will realize it when catching it.

Debating. Real life debating and 'net debating, although they share some common boundaries and functionality, you can see that on the 'net it's a little more unrestrained, where they can go from each and every corner possible. In reality, there are social limitations that will keep things in check. The crazy people end up in the county jail.

We should be getting over with the recent ban thing, what's done is done, and the people who got to express their concerns did so already. What's left is nothing really, except if there's a hope that the administration will reconcile. Everyone's gonna move on by week two-three.

Addiction? ADDICTION? What's that? :giggle:

ya, I'm with Maria on that statement, Dixie. They're wise words of wisdom but its hard to coexist utopian..

It is easier said than done. I'm not speaking for myself — thinking in just about an anybody's shoes I can philosophize for:..

Perhaps some people can't associate with the outside world as much as they'd like to due to other factors that can can be unrelated to hearing loss.

For some of them, the internet world could be their only "hope" of being able to socialize normally just as anyone else. There are a plethora of examples on the boards.. you will realize it when catching it.

Debating. Real life debating and 'net debating, although they share some common boundaries and functionality, you can see that on the 'net it's a little more unrestrained, where they can go from each and every corner possible. In reality, there are social limitations that will keep things in check. The crazy people end up in the county jail.

We should be getting over with the recent ban thing, what's done is done, and the people who got to express their concerns did so already. What's left is nothing really, except if there's a hope that the administration will reconcile. Everyone's gonna move on by week two-three.

I agree naisho, but I think face to face contact is still one of the best ways to socialize and communicate. Your unable to read the other person's face and body language over the internet where its mostly words, and statements can be easily misunderstood. Although emoticons are helpful, they still don't convey the same amount of information that a face to face contact would such as the tone of the speaker (or in our case the tone of the person signing and even then the 'tone' is noted by non-manual-markers and other body language that signifies that a certain statement shouldn't be taken literally or seriously.)

I understand the communication barriers we have with the hearies. But we can still find common ground in which to communicate. We should take advantage of the technology we have, phones with text features can easily replace a notepad and paper. I have deaf friends and hearing friends and I'm glad Im friends with both and I'm not ashamed to be friends with either group and to socialize with them. Its just that when I hang with my hearing friends, they understand and we meet halfway in communicating. Like for example, I invite them over to watch a movie - they understand that the CC's and/or English subtitles will be on during the movie so I can follow the dialogue. They know to text me instead of calling me. In face to face communications, I ask that we sit in a well lit area where I am able to read lips, and to speak up a little and to limit background noise whenever possible. When I'm at their house, its similar but because its their house I play by there rules, but I will ask them to meet me halfway such as if we are watching a movie to please not distract me because I want to watch the movie too, its hard to watch a movie and carry a conversation at the same time.

In public if they need my attention they can wave or they can text me if were unable to make visual contact. If we're near each other they can tap me on the shoulder and if they need to speak with me they need to be on my right side so I can hear them clearly.

But for some I can understand that communication with hearies in their area can be difficult. Like for instance if it is an extremely rural area and its quite a drive to anywhere, and the people are put off by a persons deafness. In these cases why not gather up your hearing friends and just have a monthly get-together or at least get-together on birthdays or other occasions shared and seen as important to the group. Just ask them to meet you half way. If they refuse to then tell them they are missing out. They can call you if they want to get together with you in the future.

I understand a lot of this is easier said than done and Ive had my share of people that run and hide when they find out my hearing status. They are like - she's a deaf - she's not that smart - etc., the usual stereotypes associated with deafness.

Everyone should find a way to connect via face to face contact whenever possible and realize that it is possible to start discussion outside AD.

I agree but we are forgetting that she was banned per policy, not because of her profession.

You would be right. My post was in regards to the numerous posts in the other threads (and perhaps this one?) talking about her profession and I was trying to say we needed to take that out of the equation and treat her as a human being (one that makes mistakes and gets banned, as could happen to anyone.)

I agree naisho, but I think face to face contact is still one of the best ways to socialize and communicate. Your unable to read the other person's face and body language over the internet where its mostly words, and statements can be easily misunderstood. Although emoticons are helpful, they still don't convey the same amount of information that a face to face contact would such as the tone of the speaker (or in our case the tone of the person signing and even then the 'tone' is noted by non-manual-markers and other body language that signifies that a certain statement shouldn't be taken literally or seriously.)

I understand the communication barriers we have with the hearies. But we can still find common ground in which to communicate. We should take advantage of the technology we have, phones with text features can easily replace a notepad and paper. I have deaf friends and hearing friends and I'm glad Im friends with both and I'm not ashamed to be friends with either group and to socialize with them. Its just that when I hang with my hearing friends, they understand and we meet halfway in communicating. Like for example, I invite them over to watch a movie - they understand that the CC's and/or English subtitles will be on during the movie so I can follow the dialogue. They know to text me instead of calling me. In face to face communications, I ask that we sit in a well lit area where I am able to read lips, and to speak up a little and to limit background noise whenever possible. When I'm at their house, its similar but because its their house I play by there rules, but I will ask them to meet me halfway such as if we are watching a movie to please not distract me because I want to watch the movie too, its hard to watch a movie and carry a conversation at the same time.

In public if they need my attention they can wave or they can text me if were unable to make visual contact. If we're near each other they can tap me on the shoulder and if they need to speak with me they need to be on my right side so I can hear them clearly.

But for some I can understand that communication with hearies in their area can be difficult. Like for instance if it is an extremely rural area and its quite a drive to anywhere, and the people are put off by a persons deafness. In these cases why not gather up your hearing friends and just have a monthly get-together or at least get-together on birthdays or other occasions shared and seen as important to the group. Just ask them to meet you half way. If they refuse to then tell them they are missing out. They can call you if they want to get together with you in the future.

I understand a lot of this is easier said than done and Ive had my share of people that run and hide when they find out my hearing status. They are like - she's a deaf - she's not that smart - etc., the usual stereotypes associated with deafness.

Everyone should find a way to connect via face to face contact whenever possible and realize that it is possible to start discussion outside AD.

Hey guess what? I am handicapped by more than my deafness. Aside from AD my family is all my social life. I kind of rely on it for social interaction.

I really can't speak to people but I can type to them here and I have fun.

Perhaps we should start an AD Anonymous Support Group, eh?

Care to explain HOW ? It's the internet afterall. Almost everyone has their own computer in their own home. I don't know IF, the internet is the WORSE than drinkin' an alcohol. :eek3:

Hey guess what? I am handicapped by more than my deafness. Aside from AD my family is all my social life. I kind of rely on it for social interaction.

I really can't speak to people but I can type to them here and I have fun.

I agree cuz most hearing people arent really that forthcoming into ensuring that deaf people feel comfortable and aware in social situations. A deaf person can only do so much work to try to fit in with the hearing world..if hearing people arent willing to meet halfway, then it the deaf person ends up being left out constantly in social situations.

Granted I dont have an overly packed social calendar but damn Id hate to spend my whole day sitting in front of a computer for social interaction. Unfortunately there are people that instead of seeking social interaction within their own town and area, they seek it with a computer. This has happened in hearies and deaf people. The end result is usually a person that is uncomfortable in a normal social situation and can be seen as having odd behaviors associated with not having enough human contact. At some point it can actually become debilitating enough that the person will literally treat the computer like a drug, staying online for days at a time, neglect their personal duties, some may even quit their jobs in order to stay home on the computer all day long.

Some people here literally do spend all day here posting in threads and not getting out, and because they are 'wore out' from spending so much time here they may lash out more often. The best cure for any addiction is to simply stop using.

One couple I know became so addicted to world of warcraft that after they lost their jobs, instead of looking for work, they started paying their bills on the credit cards. After about 2 years of that, they found themselves forclosed on and they lost their house. That was a wake up call for them that the Internet can be addictive as stupid as that sounds. When they moved into their apartment, they simply threw away their computer, and they got basic cable with a landline telephone. They absolutely will not get an internet connection ever again because its so tempting in the first place. They called it 'going Amish after addiction". They also said they suffered withdrawals feeling like they were going to 'go crazy' without the computer in the house.

I'm back. I've been banned cause a certain member cannot handle the heat in the kitchen. Well, the ban felt like it was only for 30 seconds because I was too busy having hot mind-blowing sex with my fiance to even notice that I was even banned in the first place. I did not know I was banned until I just signed on about a second ago. Pfft. I truly could care less. Hot mind-blowing sex is the best!

So, you want the mods to make you feel it? :lol:

I'm back. I've been banned cause a certain member cannot handle the heat in the kitchen. Well, the ban felt like it was only for 30 seconds because I was too busy having hot sex with my fiance to even notice that I was even banned in the first place. I did not know I was banned until I just signed on about a second ago. Pfft.

So how many bans was this for you?

I'm back. I've been banned cause a certain member cannot handle the heat in the kitchen. Well, the ban felt like it was only for 30 seconds because I was too busy having hot mind-blowing sex with my fiance to even notice that I was even banned in the first place. I did not know I was banned until I just signed on about a second ago. Pfft. I truly could care less. Hot mind-blowing sex is the best!

Nobody else noticed either.:wave:

i didnt notice either... hot mind blowing sex with your fiance? was his name teddy bear and did he have a strap on attached?!?! ROFL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

sorry, im joking!

welcome back!:wave:

i didnt notice either... hot mind blowing sex with your fiance? was his name teddy bear and did he have a strap on attached?!?! ROFL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

sorry, im joking!

welcome back!:wave:

he's not joking :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back