Retina allegedly develops differently in people who are born deaf

Like I pointed out in another thread, I had an expressive mother. I've also been told that I'm an excellent lipreader. Those are visual elements as well. To each, his or her own.

Absolutely those are visual elements on their own. However, if you find those elements useful in gaining comprehension of expressed messages, why would you find it unacceptable for the deaf to expand on those visual elements for even greater comprehension? And particularly so when there is biological evidence of the strength?

Absolutely those are visual elements on their own. However, if you find those elements useful in gaining comprehension of expressed messages, why would you find it unacceptable for the deaf to expand on those visual elements for even greater comprehension? And particularly so when there is biological evidence of the strength?
Let me put it this way, that whatever method my family used worked. Maybe to some extent, it's also a question of that some people or family are more naturally expressive or visually oriented than others.

For instance, there is this old video somewhere. I don't have it but my cousin does.

That I must have been about 1 1/2 years old or two tops. And there was this two side, outdoor swing. So naturally that looks like "fun" to a 2 year old.

So, I started gravitating towards it only to see it already occupied by 4 other little kids. Being a little puzzled by it, I wanted to get in but there was no room for me to sit.

My mother took notice of the situation. And came over to me, sat down, got my attention and pointed to her chin, as if to indicate she was going to say something. And started being a little expressive, articulating and mouthing the words "You're a boy. Boys are strong. You pull the swing". And there I was pulling the swing... :)

Let me put it this way, that whatever method my family used worked. Maybe to some extent, it's also a question of that some people or family are more naturally expressive or visually oriented than others.

For instance, there is this old video somewhere. I don't have it but my cousin does.

That I must have been about 1 1/2 years old or two tops. And there was this two side, outdoor swing. So naturally that looks like "fun" to a 2 year old.

So, I started gravitating towards it only to see it already occupied by 4 other little kids. Being a little puzzled by it, I wanted to get in but there was no room for me to sit.

My mother took notice of the situation. And came over to me, sat down, got my attention and pointed to her chin, as if to indicate she was going to say something. And started being a little expressive, articulating and mouthing the words "You're a boy. Boys are strong. You pull the swing". And there I was pulling the swing... :)

That is a wonderful anecdote, but it doesn't really answer my question.

That is a wonderful anecdote, but it doesn't really answer my question.
Part of the point is that my family were naturally expressive, made eye contact and were visually oriented as opposed to using signs. Which to tell you the truth, I'm trying to cut down on this kind of talk. Cause as you see from some of the earlier posts in this thread, I was accused of trying to drag it down. When it comes down to it, different families have handled it differently with their deaf child and so forth. There's really no one right or perfect way to do it. However, there were also other times that I admit that I did have this thought that "I'm only one person and don't have all of the answers".

The Plastic Mind

I read a book recently called '[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Mind-Sharon-Begley/dp/1845296745/"]The Plastic Mind[/ame]'. The book mentioned research on profoundly deaf people who don't hear sound at all, showing that the brain rewires the parts of the brain normally allocated to hearing to vision, increasing peripheral vision (rather than improving central vision). So this bit of research doesn't surprise me.

I read a book recently called 'The Plastic Mind'. The book mentioned research on profoundly deaf people who don't hear sound at all, showing that the brain rewires the parts of the brain normally allocated to hearing to vision, increasing peripheral vision (rather than improving central vision). So this bit of research doesn't surprise me.

I've read the same book, and also several research papers on this topic. It makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

I think the mind has such a capacity to do different things - it is people's egos that are limiting...

Thanks for sharing. That is pretty cool. This explains why I catch things others don't ( family, co-workers). I tend to jerk my head around like "what was that?!". Whiplash I tell you...

I was very visually oriented growing up, probably even more as a deaf person growing up in the hearing world. Yet, I or my family, friends, or relatives didn't know ASL nor had the need to use it. Sure we may have been more a little more expressive and all that. But it doesn't necessarily have to be "one or the other".

missywinks didn't say in her quote that only deaf who knew ASL had more developed retinas.

Part of the point is that my family were naturally expressive, made eye contact and were visually oriented as opposed to using signs. Which to tell you the truth, I'm trying to cut down on this kind of talk. Cause as you see from some of the earlier posts in this thread, I was accused of trying to drag it down. When it comes down to it, different families have handled it differently with their deaf child and so forth. There's really no one right or perfect way to do it. However, there were also other times that I admit that I did have this thought that "I'm only one person and don't have all of the answers".

SO your Oral and happy and skilled great

Im happy for you can you please stop pushing "Oral and happy and skilled is best message"

missywinks didn't say in her quote that only deaf who knew ASL had more developed retinas.

Back