Retina allegedly develops differently in people who are born deaf

missywinks

Reaction score
I found an interesting fact that I would share with you all. This study was published in the journal PlosONE.

Copy and Paste:

Ever wondered why people who are born deaf have been gifted with a better vision? Well, that’s probably because their retinas develop differently. According to experts from the University of Sheffield, the retina of adults who are either born deaf or have an onset of deafness within the very first years of life actually develops differently to hearing adults so that it can capture more peripheral visual information.

By means of retinal imaging data and measures of peripheral vision sensitivity, scientists pointed out that, measures of peripheral vision sensitivity are distributed differently around the retina. Hence, deaf people can possibly capture more peripheral visual information. In the course of the investigation, an enlarged neuroretinal rim area was also found in the optic nerve. After examining this area, it was confirmed that deaf people have more neurones transmitting visual information than hearing.

“The retina has been highly doubted previously as being able to change to this degree, so these results which show an adaptation to the retina in the deaf really challenge previous thinking,” remarked Dr Charlotte Codina. “This is the first time the retina has been considered as a possibility for the visual advantage in deaf people, so the findings have implications for the way in which we understand the retina to work. Our hope is that as we understand the retina and vision of deaf people better, we can improve visual care for deaf people, the sense which is so profoundly important to them.”

Apart from these tests, a non-invasive technique called ocular coherence tomography (OCT) was also employed for scanning the retina. Through this technique, the depth of retinal architecture including the depth of the neurone layer and dimensions of the components of the optic nerve can be mapped out. The study subjects were either severe/profoundly deaf or hearing and had their pupils dilated just before the retinal scans were taken.
During a separate visit, the participants had their visual fields measured in either eye. The results then compared with the retinal scan information with visual behavior. It then appeared that the alterations in retinal distribution were dramatically associated with the level of advantage individuals were showing in their peripheral vision.

That does make sense to me. ASL is an excellent visual commuication for those deaf people who prefers ASL with no struggles involved. Like ASL is very natural to those deaf people who prefers ASL. It is important to have the RIGHT teachers who know ASL then they have no problem teaching kids whose prefers visual aids. It would the right setting for kids and the right teachers as well.

Cool, huh? One more reason to conclude that the deaf are visually oriented from birth forward, and even though they be provided with assisted hearing, visual is still their strength in processing.

That sounds about right. I can see much wider space than any hearing people I know. Some of them even say to me "How can you see that?!" when I saw something edge of my eye.

That does make sense to me. ASL is an excellent visual commuication for those deaf people who prefers ASL with no struggles involved. Like ASL is very natural to those deaf people who prefers ASL. It is important to have the RIGHT teachers who know ASL then they have no problem teaching kids whose prefers visual aids. It would the right setting for kids and the right teachers as well.
I was very visually oriented growing up, probably even more as a deaf person growing up in the hearing world. Yet, I or my family, friends, or relatives didn't know ASL nor had the need to use it. Sure we may have been more a little more expressive and all that. But it doesn't necessarily have to be "one or the other".

Last edited:
I was very visually oriented growing up, probably even more as a deaf person growing up in the hearing world. Yet, I or my family, friends, or relatives didn't know ASL nor had the need to use it. Sure we may have been more a little more expressive and all that. But it doesn't necessarily have to be "one or the other". And why do some of the AD'ers have the need to try to squeeze in their political agendas over every little thing? Just saying.

Why so defensive all of sudden? I agree with this one.

just saying..

That sounds about right. I can see much wider space than any hearing people I know. Some of them even say to me "How can you see that?!" when I saw something edge of my eye.
Yes, now there's a post that applies to many deaf people regardless of their background. I'm another that was kind of sensitive with my peripheral vision to the point that it was sometime a little inconvenient or annoying especially if I wanted to concentrate or focus on something like in Bowling and noticing the bowler few lanes away from me and so forth. But when a pretty girl walks by, that's when it comes in handy! :giggle:

Why so defensive all of sudden? I agree with this one.

just saying..
I guess it was just a little bit of a build up. And in fairness to you, you probably didn't deserve that kind of response. But there are some AD'ers that make it obvious that they're trying to squeeze in their political agendas over every little thing or every little time they think they see an "opening" to do so.

I was very visually oriented growing up, probably even more as a deaf person growing up in the hearing world. Yet, I or my family, friends, or relatives didn't know ASL nor had the need to use it. Sure we may have been more a little more expressive and all that. But it doesn't necessarily have to be "one or the other". And why do some of the AD'ers have the need to try to squeeze in their political agendas over every little thing? Just saying.

And there are these people who tries to drag everything down...

JUST SAYING!!!!

Yes, now there's a post that applies to many deaf people regardless of their background. I'm another that was kind of sensitive with my peripheral vision to the point that it was sometime a little inconvenient or annoying especially if I wanted to concentrate or focus on something like in Bowling and noticing the bowler few lanes away from me and so forth. But when a pretty girl walks by, that's when it comes in handy! :giggle:

Yeah it hard to focus sometimes if I keep checking out very little movements I see. Have to learn to ignore them until they are big movements or near me! Or I never get work done at uni, and I did do that okay.

Frisky never said anything about it being one or the other. That was an unfair attack on her post. You're on a roll today.

So, since visual is your strong sense, why wouldn't a deaf person choose to use it to the best advantage?

i heard they have a real good ability to see while they cant hear anything. & its switched around for ppl who turned blind

Missywinks, could you please include the link when you copy and paste anything you found online?

Missywinks, could you please include the link when you copy and paste anything you found online?

I apologize and I will do that next time. I copied and pasted this from an email that was sent to me through work. I thought it would be ok because I cited the source.

So, since visual is your strong sense, why wouldn't a deaf person choose to use it to the best advantage?
Like I pointed out in another thread, I had an expressive mother. I've also been told that I'm an excellent lipreader. Those are visual elements as well. To each, his or her own.

Alright, I'll man up and apologize for the first post in this thread, particularly to you Frisky Feline!

Back