Rethinking Thanksgiving

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI3wfzwUKwI]Rethinking Thanksgiving - YouTube[/ame]

from FacundoElement

I am an ASL user. I dont know if others understand this youtube. Does this have CC? i am not good at looking for CC.

Thanks for bringing that up. This is something that has to be discussed in order to effect real change in the way this holiday is celebrated (or not). I mentioned in the "mainstream ruined..." thread that I was lied to via revisionist history, that was convenient and put the victors in a positive light (I wonder how many times this has happened, but I won't list examples for fear of locking up this thread).

Wow , I hates Thanksgiving Day and after watching this I really hate it! I have no idea what we're celebrating as we did not plant and harvest the food or hunt or raise the turkey that we'll eat . We went to the store and brought food and we do this all the time. Are we getting so brainwash by the government that we are letting them tell us when to be thankful?

I mentioned in the "mainstream ruined..." thread that I was lied to via revisionist history, that was convenient and put the victors in a positive light (I wonder how many times this has happened, but I won't list examples for fear of locking up this thread).

I suspect it would be easier to list the times it hasn't happened.

Great resource, i think lots of teachers need to ask parents for their permission that they can teach small kids that is good start, and once the kids become older, and would have celebration in a different way or something like that.

same deal for black history and other history too.

how ironic, lots of people who have bad experiences with thanskgiving due to conflicting with relatives or family and end up don't talk to each other for years. oh well

Great resource, i think lots of teachers need to ask parents for their permission that they can teach small kids that is good start, and once the kids become older, and would have celebration in a different way or something like that.

same deal for black history and other history too.

how ironic, lots of people who have bad experiences with thanskgiving due to conflicting with relatives or family and end up don't talk to each other for years. oh well

Not me. I love my family and I am going to have a great time with them this week and this weekend. :)

Anyway-- No matter what that video said, I am not going to stop traditional celebration simply because they hate Thanksgiving or something. I am not going to stop eating turkeys in order to be vegan or whatever they hate something. Frankly, it's stupid to make a suggestion that Pilgrims are better off dead or being not helped or whatever, due to their dark past. Because if they do, my other friends and a few of my relatives would not be here, anyway... So, I am not going to waste my time to watch it whole, considering this video is similar what another people who dislike/hate Thanksgiving and encourage us to stop celebrating the holiday.

They are no different from people who scream and bitch about Christmas. Jeez.

Last edited:
I agree with what the video was about and why the OP put it up.
For me, I can still enjoy family time but also remember that much of what they taught us in school about the Thanksgiving "story" and all the rest of it is BS.
There was genocide committed against Native peoples in the name of the story that we are fed in the U.S, and the images and ways things are still commercially done in reference to Thanksgiving perpetuate the myths.
So I think about all that when I eat my meal and spend time with my family, and it influences how or what I buy this time of year in particular.
For me as a Jew, to think about this and see how I not perpetuate the myths, is part of tikkun olam- commonly thought of as "repair of the world" in the liberal branches of Judaism.

Not me. I love my family and I am going to have a great time with them this week and this weekend. :)

Anyway-- No matter what that video said, I am not going to stop traditional celebration simply because they hate Thanksgiving or something. I am not going to stop eating turkeys in order to be vegan or whatever they hate something. Frankly, it's stupid to make a suggestion that Pilgrims are better off dead or being not helped or whatever, due to their dark past. Because if they do, my other friends and a few of my relatives would not be here, anyway... So, I am not going to waste my time to watch it whole, considering this video is similar what another people who dislike/hate Thanksgiving and encourage us to stop celebrating the holiday.

They are no different who scream and bitch about Christmas. Jeez.[/b[

:laugh2: I know the feeling. I didn't have bad experience with thanskgiving either. BUT there are many conflicted going on in my relatives. so my point is that if they are concerned then they can teach starting with small kids, and thanksgiving still need to be on but change to celebrate or something. I dont know. :hmm:

I agree with what the video was about and why the OP put it up.
For me, I can still enjoy family time but also remember that much of what they taught us in school about the Thanksgiving "story" and all the rest of it is BS.
There was genocide committed against Native peoples in the name of the story that we are fed in the U.S, and the images and ways things are still commercially done in reference to Thanksgiving perpetuate the myths.
So I think about all that when I eat my meal and spend time with my family, and it influences how or what I buy this time of year in particular.
For me as a Jew, to think about this and see how I not perpetuate the myths, is part of tikkun olam- commonly thought of as "repair of the world" in the liberal branches of Judaism.

I am Jewish too and this is a big reason I have a hard time celebrating a holiday that has to do with the genocide committed against Native peoples. It would be like me celebrating the Holocaust as a Holiday .

what about today?

I am Jewish too and this is a big reason I have a hard time celebrating a holiday that has to do with the genocide committed against Native peoples. It would be like me celebrating the Holocaust as a Holiday .

Jews are slaughtering palestinians. They are native to Gaza aren't they?

It is really sad when Europeans only thought about themselves when there is First people who had been here longer than they are. Our ancestors had been here for centuries before the white people like Columbus came. Columbus and his men were no better than the Pilgrims. I don't know why we have to be sooo friendly and helpful to the white people especially to the Pilgrims to help them survive in the Winter months and to teach them to find food and to farm food, even how to fish so they won't get starve. The white people including the Pilgrims had to lie, steal and made our lives hardship and pushing us in order to get lands away from them.

Maybe that is why we should not have help them in the first place if they were not generous to us over the years. This is probably why our ancestors (Native Americans) tried to push them back to make them go back to Europe wherever they came from. The white people especially the government want to make rules and laws over us and say the white people discovered the lands and that the Natives (Indians) were lower than they are. They managed to painted us as savages and being warriors wanting to start wars but we were only defending our people and our villages while the government and the military want to destroyed us and made our lives miserable by forcing us to move further West or further North.

Yes, we should have our own holiday instead of Thanksgiving Day and Columbus Day as Native American Day. We can still have feast as we need food to survive too. We had and always have blessed to our Creator for giving us food which we had planted, reaped and brought the food to us for many centuries before the white people came end up years later today.

We did not need Presidents as we have Chiefs for many families and we always have councils and meetings with our people. For the white people, all you need is mayors for the white people to live in their own towns and cities. That would help improve on trying to get along with everyone. No one is perfect. We have tried to be friendly but all we get is getting mad at us and don't want us to be here. They want us to be eliminated us or have genocide us so they don't have to worry about the First people who were here before them. That is what make me sad and not liking it at all about the lies and trying to paint us as savages and alcoholics. :(

as far as the Middle East goes, there is slaughter on both sides.
Both Jews and Arab people are of Semitic descent.

no problem, amylynn-

Last edited:
what do you actually thank and think about on thanks giving day....some would say britain should be one having thank giving day...i no dream of saying such rude thing lol

So, the woman at the end of the 1991 segment of the video suggests that little kids no longer dress up like Pilgrims, Native Americans, and turkeys and reenact the traditional pageant but instead enslave, rape, and kill each other? That's craziness.

Thanksgiving Day does NOT celebrate slavery, genocide, racism, etc. It is a day to specifically be thankful to God for His provision, whatever that may be for the individual giving thanks. It also represents how, as a nation, we are thankful for our existence and lives here in America.

No one is forced to be thankful. If you truly believe that you have absolutely nothing for which to be thankful you can certainly stay home and mourn your woeful existence and feed your bitterness rather than your tummy.

If you want to blame every wrongful thing that any white person ever did to any non-white person in the Western Hemisphere on the small group of people who arrived on the Mayflower, then you are not being any more honest about history than those you accuse of falsifying the story.

BTW, what are these "banned" books that they refer to on the video? Banned by whom? If they are banned, how is it the people on the video know about them?

We studied about the atrocities done to American Indians when I was in public school, at least in the 1960's, so it's not exactly a news bulletin for today. It just seems to have spread to blame every Pilgrim for every bad thing that ever happened, including events that happened before they even landed at Plymouth.

BTW, in that painting they show of the first thanksgiving day, I don't see it as portraying the natives in a bad light. They appear to be civil and dressed in their celebratory finery. Notice that the white woman Pilgrim is bending down to serve the native group, not the other way around. Of course, since no one was there to take pictures, we really don't know how the event looked, so we can't use any picture to make a judgment one way or the other.

So, the woman at the end of the 1991 segment of the video suggests that little kids no longer dress up like Pilgrims, Native Americans, and turkeys and reenact the traditional pageant but instead enslave, rape, and kill each other? That's craziness.

Thanksgiving Day does NOT celebrate slavery, genocide, racism, etc. It is a day to specifically be thankful to God for His provision, whatever that may be for the individual giving thanks. It also represents how, as a nation, we are thankful for our existence and lives here in America.

No one is forced to be thankful. If you truly believe that you have absolutely nothing for which to be thankful you can certainly stay home and mourn your woeful existence and feed your bitterness rather than your tummy.

If you want to blame every wrongful thing that any white person ever did to any non-white person in the Western Hemisphere on the small group of people who arrived on the Mayflower, then you are not being any more honest about history than those you accuse of falsifying the story.

BTW, what are these "banned" books that they refer to on the video? Banned by whom? If they are banned, how is it the people on the video know about them?

We studied about the atrocities done to American Indians when I was in public school, at least in the 1960's, so it's not exactly a news bulletin for today. It just seems to have spread to blame every Pilgrim for every bad thing that ever happened, including events that happened before they even landed at Plymouth.

BTW, in that painting they show of the first thanksgiving day, I don't see it as portraying the natives in a bad light. They appear to be civil and dressed in their celebratory finery. Notice that the white woman Pilgrim is bending down to serve the native group, not the other way around. Of course, since no one was there to take pictures, we really don't know how the event looked, so we can't use any picture to make a judgment one way or the other.

I was not blaming the every Pilgrims , I am blaming the government for allowing the Native Americans for treated the way their where. The Native Americans has history keepers and they passed down the history of their people. Do want to know what happen to the Native Americans women , they where raped, then killed and their vaginas were cut out and wore as 'hats' by Christopher Columbus men! I am talking about what happen AFTER that first Thanksgiving dinner. The picture you're talking is nothing but
propaganda the government is using to lies to people about how they really treated the Native Americans.

Back